Review G3 DVD Live in Tokyo

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
GreenMeanie

Review G3 DVD Live in Tokyo

#1 Post by GreenMeanie » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:49 am

I received mine today and all I can say right now is HOLY SHIT! :shock: It is GREAT!!! I will post a better review after I watch it again tonight!

Joanne :mrgreen:

petethegreat

#2 Post by petethegreat » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:48 pm

wow cant wait to hear it didnt realise it was out yet.

b2

#3 Post by b2 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:53 pm

I just got at new newsletter from Satriani

MESSAGE FROM JOE

The new DVD and CD "G3 Live in Tokyo" featuring Steve Vai, John
Petrucci and yours truly is set for an October 25th release. This one
looks and sounds so incredibly good, we are all very excited about it.
The discs features original sets from all three of us as well as a
great jam at the end, all captured one magical night in Tokyo, Japan,
earlier this year.

We've also included a bonus feature DVD with footage from the sound
check complete with separate commentary from Steve, John and myself.
Come to think of it, I have no idea what the other guys talked about!
So, I guess I'll be as surprised as all of you!

I would love to hear about the bonus features, please hurry! :D

GreenMeanie

#4 Post by GreenMeanie » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:23 pm

I havent watched the bonus features yet. I only watched Steve :D . Will be watching it with the family after supper. I will give a full report!

Joanne

jemgirl

#5 Post by jemgirl » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:59 pm

i`ve ordered the dvd :P
i cant wait to have it.

GreenMeanie

#6 Post by GreenMeanie » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:26 pm

OK I just watched the DVD from start to finish. I feel as though I need to rest. For me atleast seeing Steve play is a very orgasmic experience (for the senses :wink: ). This DVD blew me away! His energy shot out of the tv and made feel like I was in between a heart attack and a well never mind. The quality of this DVD far surpasses that of the G3 in Denver. The sound and the camera work is amazing to say the least! I felt as though I was right there at the concert. Brought back the excitement of the show in Philly this past year. After watching this I am going to be patiently trying to wait for G3 to hit the states again.

The bonus is soundcheck and you can choose to listen to commentary from each of the guys. Very cool indeed!

Steve if you read this I couldnt help but laugh as Foxey Lady came on. I remembered telling you the story of that song involving me and Oppy and the reaction I got from you. It was priceless! You are the best!

Mikey you look so handsome in your sport jacket!

I think I need to go lie down now! My head is spinning!

MESSAGE FOR SRVOODOO: I think I have a concussion after watching this! :wink:

munchocruncho

#7 Post by munchocruncho » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:17 pm

GreenMeanie wrote:OK I just watched the DVD from start to finish. I feel as though I need to rest. For me atleast seeing Steve play is a very orgasmic experience (for the senses :wink: ). This DVD blew me away! His energy shot out of the tv and made feel like I was in between a heart attack and a well never mind.
What a fiend.
Gosh, calm down.
:D

sword

#8 Post by sword » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:27 pm

GreenMeanie wrote:OK I just watched the DVD from start to finish. I feel as though I need to rest. For me atleast seeing Steve play is a very orgasmic experience (for the senses :wink: ). This DVD blew me away! His energy shot out of the tv and made feel like I was in between a heart attack and a well never mind. The quality of this DVD far surpasses that of the G3 in Denver. The sound and the camera work is amazing to say the least! I felt as though I was right there at the concert. Brought back the excitement of the show in Philly this past year. After watching this I am going to be patiently trying to wait for G3 to hit the states again.

The bonus is soundcheck and you can choose to listen to commentary from each of the guys. Very cool indeed!

Steve if you read this I couldnt help but laugh as Foxey Lady came on. I remembered telling you the story of that song involving me and Oppy and the reaction I got from you. It was priceless! You are the best!

Mikey you look so handsome in your sport jacket!

I think I need to go lie down now! My head is spinning!

MESSAGE FOR SRVOODOO: I think I have a concussion after watching this! :wink:

I'll have what she's having :P ... and ... DITTO!!!!

(¯`·._.·†§wo®Ð†·._.·´¯)

GreenMeanie

#9 Post by GreenMeanie » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:31 pm

Sorry! :oops: I dont mean to come off as hyper but I REALLY enjoyed it and got caught up in the excitement! :?

Joanne

sword

#10 Post by sword » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:46 pm

Well, I guess I'll be the first to post a small review while I still have the experience fresh on my mind. I still haven't listened to the audio commentary by the Three Amigos, but I'll get to that probably tomorrow. OK, here goes. Deep breath...

:guitar John Petrucci was up first and even though I was watching it on my computer and don't have surround sound on it, the sound was actually very good. I can't wait to see it on my TV with Surround Sound. Anyway, back to the review... John's set was short and, in my opinion, not very sweet. He seemed in his own little corner of the stage for most of his set and didn't interact much with the audience except for toward the end of the last song, Damage Control. While I like John Petrucci as a musician, his emotional skills as an artist leave me wanting more. If you're a musician, you'll know what I'm talking about. You know, the feelings you get when you play or hear certain music, like Vai, for example, and you just have to express it? Well, John was pretty much technique and not much more; flawless technique, but for me, I have to feel the heart of the artist when the strings sing to me. I couldn't feel John's heart through all those perfect notes.
For a moment, I thought the camera crew did the Live in Astoria trick where you see John playing one guitar and then magically he's playing another one on the same song, but I finally saw that the guitar has one of those "chameleon color" finishes where it changes color depending on what angle you view it at.
I was surprised to see Mike Portnoy with John Petrucci and Dave LaRue because I thought John was supposed to have different band members when he did solo work. That was a plus, and I think Mike had the most emotion of the set. He's always fun to watch.
Overall, to me John's set was the poorest. Good songs, but not much different than the album versions. There should be more to it in a live gig than just the same thing. Every song should be different every time live.

:guitarNext up: The one, the only, Mr. Vai. I have to say, that Steve seems more hyper with every new DVD that comes out. Before entering stage left, EVO begins talking to the crowd in very human like sounds; not with a talk box (Steve doesn't need one), but with actual pitches much like the human voice makes when talking. You can almost hear the actual words. He practically demolishes his wah pedal on The Audience is Listening (I've never seen anybody use a wah like that :roll: ), and Building the Church was one of the best songs of the film. K'm-Pee-Du-Wee was very nice, especially with the cool melodic intro that he and Billy performed. This is what it's about, something fresh and new; yes, the songs sounded sort of like the album, but ONLY sort of! There was some lick or run or phrase that was new in each song, even if it was only one. EVO and MOJO (the Bad Horsie model) were used in this set. For me, the show finally began when Steve came out.

:guitarSatch enters the stage on the last set of the night before the Jam. May I say that Joe Satriani is the best player I've ever seen him be on this DVD? I think I just did. Folks, Satch definitely sounded new. Usually when I listen to Satch, I hear all the same bluesy licks that he does when he solos. Not much of that this time, Joe shreds the competition with all new legato runs, blistering speed licks, and a few screams here and there, which is signature Joe. He comes out to play Up In Flames in Drop D with one of his older guitars, sort of like the Donnie guitars but more red than pink. The Candy Apple Red seven string is used for Searching which, is very close to being THE song of the DVD (Building the Church is my other pick). It's awesome!!! What more can I say, Is There Love In Space album-wise is the defining moment of the new Joe and these first two songs prove that. I believe this album and these songs finally let him be himself due to that fact that you could see so much joy in him when he played them. A good overall emotional connection, especially during Searching. I just hope the new album Satch is planning to release in March (according to the new newsletter from satriani.com) is even better, which will be hard to do. Chrome Boy steps out for War, a song I've only heard in the background of The Satch Tapes DVD. It's a very heavier sound than the other two, almost Metal-sounding.

:guitar :guitar :guitar And now the Jam: Joe introduces Mike Portnoy first to be the guest drummer for Foxey Lady and then introduces Steve, John. Matt Bissionnette and Galen are backing them up. When I heard these guys were doing this song and Smoke on the Water, I thought, "Oh great, I don't like the sound of this." And while I still didn't like Smoke on the Water that much, Foxey Lady was pretty impressive. But the only real dissappointment I have with the DVD so far is the sound quality of the G3 Jam and the Bonus Soundcheck video. For the Jam, there wasn't a lot of clarity to who was playing during the rhythm sections, and I for one love to hear all the little riffs and phrases in between lyrics when a song is sung; speaking of which, I couldn't hear Joe that well over all the instruments. He sung in his usual low voice, but this song requires a couple of high spots vocally, for example, the line: "And You know..." Everybody hears a high note there, but Joe sings it so low, you can barely hear him. As usual, the three G's trade solos and then trade smaller solos, which, in my opinion John and Satch were the best at. But like I said before, I wasn't watcing it on Surround Sound, so maybe the instruments and vocals will be more distinct when I finally do. It seems to me that from watching every G3 video that's been released (3 to be exact, but hopefully much more) that Steve tries too hard during the solo spots on the Jam. He sounds much more fluent and melodic on his solo set than during the Jam; maybe it's due to the pressure of competition or on the spot thinking, but all the whammy bar wanking and excessive tricks don't sound that good to me. I want to hear some classic early 90's and Whitesnake Vai soloing. And just to clarify, when I say "melodic", think G3: Live in Denver when he's playing the Triple neck Jem just chillin' with the audience....Yeah.

Whew, on to La Grange. Hands down, best song of the Jam, and that's not saying much because of the previous paragraph. Billy has definitely got the voice for this song, no question or doubt about it. He and Matt played bass while Jeff Campitelli returned as the drummer for the remainder of the show. Not much I can say about this song except that the G3 Jam as made for very few songs they've performed during the history of the G3 Jam and this is one of them along with Voodoo Chile, Red House, Rockin' in the Free World (Possibly the Best), and Little Wing.

Last song of the night: Smoke on the Water. I can't comment much on the song, because I'm not very familiar with Deep Purple. Sadly, when I think of Smoke on the Water I think of, yes, you guessed it: Beavis and Butthead... Dunh dunh da, dunh dunh da da, ... you get the picture. The song was pretty good to end the show with though, and included some of the most blistering solos by Satch of the whole DVD. Vai finally started showing some progress melodically during this song while John Petrucci still had all the emotion of The Thinker.

Summing up the show:
This DVD gets a 4 out of 5 in my book due to the uneven set list (Petrucci should have gotten another song, because his set wasn't over more than maybe 15 minutes), bad sound mixing on the Jam, and not much different soloing-wise with Vai than with the other G3 DVDs, and due to the lack of anything in between the sets (G3: Live in Denver where Steve signs autographs and Yngwie is practicing). Definitely worth buying for some cool new live performances by all three artists.

Song of the night: Tied between Building the Church (very powerful, I can imagine the concept of the song that Steve wrote on the Inside Real Illusions web page ) and Searching (also very powerful and moving, even though it's just a live on the fly jam in itself).

Artist of the night: Again, another tie between Vai and Satch. I love these guys. They have all the heart in a musician you could ask for.

The Soundcheck:
Like I said before, I haven't seen it with all three separate commentaries, but the soundcheck itself isn't very special, although it's a good bonus feature. This sound was the worst though, by far. The instruments are low and the voices are even lower... much, much lower. I had to turn my computer speakers all the way up and crouch down beside them to even hear what they were saying most of the time, and that's when I could hear them over the instruments. I'm glad it's 15 minutes long though. From flipping through the commentary tracks, they sound great; I can actually hear them. Do the math, 15 minutes each time you listen to it whether it's commentary or the soundcheck by itself is another hour of coolness. That's 2 1/2 hours of pure and total AWESOME!!! :headbang

Hope this helps. Thanks to Joe, Steve, John and all the awesome band members and camera crew (movie quality is the BEST) for a great privilege; did you catch that?, PRIVILEGE of being able to be graced with your many talents and future projects; from me and all the fans. God Bless and keep the music alive. Peace.

P.S. Loved the chicken bit, guys :lol: Oh, just watch it; you'll see what I mean.

(¯`·._.·†§wo®Ð†·._.·´¯)

zappadons

#11 Post by zappadons » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:10 am

Can I ask where the DVD was ordered from?

GreenMeanie

#12 Post by GreenMeanie » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:09 am

I ordered mine from Sony Music

Joanne

b2

#13 Post by b2 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:24 am

I had to order from Cduniverse because Sony would not ship outside USA.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... 6540&BAB=E

hamordude
Newcomer

The New DVD!!

#14 Post by hamordude » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:19 pm

:shock: Wow! This DVD was quite the extravaganza... What an Amazing show. I really must say Petrucci fit quite well with Steve and Joe, much more than I thought he would... here's my review:

John Petrucci's Set -

John played two songs off of his new solo CD "Suspended Animation" and they, believe it or not, were the two I love the most off the CD! SO as you can imagine I was completely phsyched to hear them played live... Glasgow kiss is definitely a favorite, the happy up-beat atmosphere of the tune is a wonderful way to start the show in my opinion, and as not to be too happy John followed it up with "Damage Control" which is a sweet heavy tune, very "Dream Theater" in vibe so to speak... but one of my favorites nonetheless... I love the arpeggiated ideas that flow throughout the tune. As I had expected Petrucci played them flawlessly... I still can't get over how amazing his technique is! Jeesus, sometimes I wish I was half as good as the man...

Steve Vai's Set -

Wow! Ok... I'm seriously going to have a hard time trying to put this into words... Steve IS the greatest guitarist in existance in my opinion, and to hear him in top form as always is beautiful. He and the rest of the band were on FIRE! Steve started out doing something I haven't heard him do live since 1997... The Talking Guitar Trick, making the gutiar actually "speak" to the crowd... haha. The man is ONE with his instrument. He went right into "The Audience is Listening" and I was jumping up and down in my room like jackass because I was SO phsyched to hear Steve and the band play this one...This is one of my favorite older Vai tunes, it's so Vai... it reminds me how fun guitar playing is. Steve and Billy trade licks in full form... and it kicked ass as always. And you've got to love Billy's all chrome bass and Lip stic red leather pants! How "rockstar" can one person get? By the way, you also get to see one of my favorite things... Jeremy Colsen beat the shit out of his drums... that poor drumset. And another beating takes place on Steve's bad horsie wah... he goes nuts on it! Next up was my favorite heavy tune of the new record "Building the Church." Steve brings out "mojo" on this one and rightfully so because the mojo was there in full effect. Sick ass use of the sustainer pickup in this song, I really dig it... Dave Weiner's tone on the new Ibanez through the Mesa Stilletto did a great job of nailing the rhythm tones off the album for sure. I love it when Steve goes ballistic on the bar with the sustainer on near the end... very reminiscent of Bad Horsie of the Astoria DVD, very cool. And what better way to finish off the set than K'm Pee Du Wee? So that's exactly what they did... I really dug the intro Billy Played, soothing... It was very cool. I love Steve's tone on this song as well, overdrive channel with the volume on the guitar turned way down to clean it up, and the MXR EVH phase shifter on it to get that "flow." I love this song so much... and just like the rest I was amazed to hear it played so well, Steve continues to be a tremendous inspiration to me... I'm forever in debt...

Joe Satriani's Set -

This set was very unusual for Joe... The first song "Up in Flames" was very bluesy as Satch tends to be, I dug the little Trip-Out inro on the Phsychadelic looking Satch model, It was just like one he did at Anahiem when I saw him earlier this year... Cool experimentation going on... Next up was "Searching" off his new album and it was BADASS! The red-stain Ibanez 7 souded SO THICK... damn dude... Very dark tune, I really dug it. The coolest parts for me were where he uses the Whammy pedal to play certain notes of the arpeggios up an octave and creates a melody line out of it... That is one of my all time favorite Satch riffs... and then of course a Very Yngwie move where he turns the delay repeat rate all the way up and gets massive noise... Good way to get full use of the Effects, haha. Last up was "War" and it's a very "Metal" tune... Overall It made for a very "Dark" Satch set... very modern...

And Lastly the Jams -

Foxey lady - The only thing I didn't like was not being able to hear Joe Sing, but I know how it feels because I also have an extremely limited vocal range... so it's all good. Hearing the three of them trade on this old Hendrix song was top notch! It's unusual to hear this tune played in a jam fashion... Ususally it's "Red House," or "Little Wing" but this one was cool!

La Grange - I love Billy's voice on this one, very cool. And once again, what could be better than hearing 3 world class guitarists trade licks over and old ZZ Top tune... Personally my favorite leads on this one came from Petrucci... I really had not expected him to fit THIS well it was inspiring to say the least..

Smoke on the Water - When I heard they'd be playing this one I just started laughing, because it's so typical and whatnot. But they really did a great job on it, I was really suprised to hear Matt Bisonette sing his ass off on this tune... I had no idea he could sing like that! Very, very cool... Petrucci was pulling off some Steve Morse esque licks on this tune! John's killer picking technique hit me again, JEEZUS! Machine gun attack... Vai definitely added some "Vainess" to this one with the Sweeps and Bar abuse... it was just too cool, man.

All this, Plus the bonus Soundcheck with commentary made for a BADASS G3 dvd, this one is the best yet! It completley smokes the other two with audio mix and video production, and the wall of GEAR in the back is pretty crazy as well... effects, racks, and cabs galore... Big empasis on the Video Quality too, when you watch it, look at how clear the picture is! It's beautifully done. THIS DVD RULES!!! :D

Vaism

#15 Post by Vaism » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:25 pm

wtf man how is it that people have the dvd before the release date and im not one of them :(