Discuss the Real Illusions: Reflections Previews!

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
EyesOfFire0221

#31 Post by EyesOfFire0221 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:58 am

Words Cant really describe How I feel about this album, The Music Speaks For its's self .As Always Iam totaly blow away by Steve's ablity to convey a certain type of Feeling in his music. not many artists can actually tap into that creative realm as easaly as he does. What Can be said about Steve's music that hasnt been said alredy before by so many other ppl there has to be another Word to describe his music .I cant Wait to hear this new material live . Hearing the clips of the new album makes me feel like a new vai fan all over again . Iam grateful to be supporting an awesome musician, and iam happy and honered to be a part of the vai.com comunity After the albums comes out iam sure that most of my friends who have never heard of steve vai, would become fans and if not then it's alright. I guess they arent ready for it yet

Peace Love and Good happiness stuff.

Tiffany

markschuler
Newcomer

Amazing

#32 Post by markschuler » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:06 am

I cannot wait for the album. All of his albums continue to inspire and thrill me. Such a gifted musician and an amazing artist.

Mark

Onizuka

#33 Post by Onizuka » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:12 am

I just ordered, signed and all yiihaaa...great samples too! :D

lydian7

#34 Post by lydian7 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:38 am

fineweather wrote:Fantastic! :D :D :D

...I ordered mine, because the price of the US-made,
though including the shipping cost, is cheaper than the Japanese-made!
In Japan, it's about $25!! :x
It's over-priced in the UK too, and it actually costs me far less to get it shipped over from sony US than it would buying it from my local high-street shop! Seen as I get mine from sony US with the added bonus of an autographed booklet, the decision was a no brainer! :wink:

Can't wait to get the new album. Sony said they're shipping early so that people recieve it on release date, but there are always going to be those lucky few who recieve it BEFORE the actual release date! :shock:

Revontulet777

#35 Post by Revontulet777 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:28 am

The new album sounds great!!!

Mikey, do you know if the copy pre-ordered in shopbootlegs.com will be a CD with cardboard sleeve? I asked this because the RI and live in London CDs have the same price.

Carlos

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#36 Post by Jeroen » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:32 am

Let me pick up my jaw from the floor first (and meanwhile, i'm pre-ordering it. 12 dollar something? That is REDICIOUSLY LOW for this stuff)

I like it a whole lot, as far as I can judge from the previews. Lots of High Energy, with the occasional in-your-face powerballad. Mix of guitar stuff, vocals and 'weird' stuff. It's the diversity I like in Steve as well as not shying away from complexity and the uncanny ability to make that complexity easy to follow (even for a musical dumbass like me), like in Freak Show Excess.
This, combined with all the surrounding stuff about RI (like the mini-site) makes it a really interesting experience. It's not just 'a CD'!

I cannot wait to get it! (and to 'get' it).

--
J

Virulent

#37 Post by Virulent » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:38 am

jimgardner1973 wrote:I'm more than a little upset with myself for expecting something totally off-the-wall and different from Steve when the sound clips appear to confirm this is yet another big reverb, synth pad, ego-fest with little in the way of the actual guitar playing style that made Steve who he is. I love the guy like a member of my family - that's why I'll still buy it and play it over and over. There's no doubting his spirit and passion for all things music, hell I wouldn't make a living as a musician and enjoy the lifestyle I have today if it where not for my being exposed to his music at the impresionable age I was circa 1985, but it's almost like he stopped being able to reach into that other place his music seemed to come from a la Flex Able, PIL, Eat and Smile, Touching Tongues, Call It Sleep etc. Steve, shut up and play yer guitar some more. Listen to Michael Hedges (again?). There are plenty of people on this forum who will shoot me down in flames and continue to polish your ego because they are either not as good at playing the guitar as you or wealthy enough to use the equipment you do or because they imagine that being into "difficult" music makes them more intelligent that people who dig the latest MTV bands - the fact is, being happy in life don't make for good rock music - eat some grit, get a drink problem - ANYTHING - just find that place again - we want to hear it played OUT like that! Didn't Robert Fripp teach you anything?

I love ya, Jimmy.
I can see why this post would attract flames for a couple of reasons - but none of them because of your opinion, but more because of what your opinion is based on.

I'm really excited to hear these clips, but there is no way I can tell from listening to them whether they represent the entire record. We're talking about thirty second at the most from each song which could average up 5 or 6 minutes in length (and hopefully more). What I can hear, however, is ripe with Vai-isms, and it's immediately apparent to me that this is his music. You have mentioned only one side of Steve's many facets in your post above - but it's not just those that made Steve the player he is today.

I also think that your put-down of people who like what they hear is likely to attract some reaction too. Just because I like it doesn't mean that I'm polishing Steve's ego, or because I'm not rich enough to play the same gear as him and all the other nonsense you wrote. What a stupid and baseless argument!

As far as "finding that place" - from what I've already heard of the record, "Lotus Feet" is at home within the stable of other tracks you have mentioned. From reading Steve's writing about "K'm-Pee-Du-Wee" it would seem that it could also fit nicely in there. "Dying For Your Love" also sounds like it came from a pretty dark place too - even if it's a vocal song. But your suggestion that Steve develop a drinking problem to help him find a deeper emotional and creative level, while probably made in jest, is also just stupid. Then we'd be listening to the alcohol.. not Steve. Your romanticized view of the "tragic artist" is quaint, but completely irrelevant.

My take is this: Steve is an artist, and as such, continues to explore different realms and express himself in different ways. If you want Steve circa 1985, keep listening to Flexable. That was indeed a wonderful time, but that time has long since past. I personally have been satisfied with Steve constantly evolving body of work, and I'm really exciting to hear how this record is different.

I'm reserving my judgment or complete opinion of the album until it's released. Ultimately though, I still feel it's pointless to sit around here writing about what you WISH Steve would do. If he spent his time fulfilling your vision, what would be the point? As an artist, he's compelled to write about and create what moves HIM. We can either choose to come along for the ride or not.

wackyjackie21613

#38 Post by wackyjackie21613 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:47 am

you go virulent!!!! iam in total agreement of you!! i was alittle
offended of some of his comments, but iam not even going to dignify
it with any responce, as everyone has there own opion, i don't diss that one bit, but some of it was alittle tooo much!! but your words were totally on it!! so right
on!!!!!
iam sooo happy with every clip i heard and waiting for the release!!!
iam loving it all!!!! thank whoever gave us that little gift!!!

i loved it and can't wait for it to come out!!! come on feb. 22!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

me :wink:

Jackhammer

#39 Post by Jackhammer » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:33 am

Unfortunately I regret to say that I don't like all the material on the cd but I guess it'll grow on me.

Did anyone else notice that track number 4 sounds a lot like Boston Rain Melody? :)

shacks

#40 Post by shacks » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:57 am

Jackhammer wrote:Unfortunately I regret to say that I don't like all the material on the cd but I guess it'll grow on me.
I think its very difficult to judge from a 30 second clip. Its probably best to wait to hear the full versions as part of a complete album. In some ways it would have been nice to hear all the album complete first before hearing little snippets. Saying that I didnt hesitate to listen to the album clips today! Just human nature I suppose to want it now!

shacks

John

#41 Post by John » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:29 pm

I have no words...

lydian7

#42 Post by lydian7 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:35 pm

jimgardner1973 wrote:I'm more than a little upset with myself for expecting something totally off-the-wall and different from Steve when the sound clips appear to confirm this is yet another big reverb, synth pad, ego-fest with little in the way of the actual guitar playing style that made Steve who he is. I love the guy like a member of my family - that's why I'll still buy it and play it over and over. There's no doubting his spirit and passion for all things music, hell I wouldn't make a living as a musician and enjoy the lifestyle I have today if it where not for my being exposed to his music at the impresionable age I was circa 1985, but it's almost like he stopped being able to reach into that other place his music seemed to come from a la Flex Able, PIL, Eat and Smile, Touching Tongues, Call It Sleep etc. Steve, shut up and play yer guitar some more. Listen to Michael Hedges (again?). There are plenty of people on this forum who will shoot me down in flames and continue to polish your ego because they are either not as good at playing the guitar as you or wealthy enough to use the equipment you do or because they imagine that being into "difficult" music makes them more intelligent that people who dig the latest MTV bands - the fact is, being happy in life don't make for good rock music - eat some grit, get a drink problem - ANYTHING - just find that place again - we want to hear it played OUT like that! Didn't Robert Fripp teach you anything?

I love ya, Jimmy.
You're obviously quite a narrow-minded music listener. Steve Vai is not only a great guitarist, but he is also an exeptional composer too. In fact I would be perfectly happy buying a Steve Vai album that doesn't involve him playing a single note of music (such as half of The Aching Hunger concert, where the orchestra took the reigns so to speak).

You need to lay off the drink, clean out your ears, and listen to all those little 'frilly bits' that are going on in the background. ;)

Prezidentman

#43 Post by Prezidentman » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:08 pm

Great stuff!!!! I actually think it's sort of got the heavy S&R vibe, which I like. Steve should have invited Devin to sing on some these songs, that would have been even more awesome!!! 8)

EyesOfFire0221

#44 Post by EyesOfFire0221 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:11 pm

You Know what I agree with you guys . That post was a bit shocking for me to read but its the guy's opinion so iam not going to bash it cause everyone is intitled to there opinion . But I am going to say a few things worth to note
Steve is a brilliant Musician he HAS always Been able to tap into that realm of amazing music cause let me tell you guys somethign I have been playing guitar since i was eight and now iam 16 after nine years of playing guitar and studiying music I still havent been able to come up to the mastery of guitar that steve has that takes a lot of practice and study and it doesnt take one year to be great it takes more than a few years to find your style and your sound and your personality in music . second of all all of us here support Steve as a musician and artist it donest matter if u have the same effects guitar amps that your favorite player uses it is what YOU do with it that makes it special . I believe that what attracted us to steves music in the
long run is his ablity to caputre raw emotion into his music it is pure emotion that you hear emiting from his music steve has tapped into differnt emotions in his music it isnt all happy go lucky all the tiime in steve's music it can be dark at times as well . Third of all it is good to be open to differnt types of music and diffrent sounds . steve is one of those musicians that has evolved over time granted i wasnt around during the Zappa , whitesnake, DLR, alcatrazz years but you can hear it in his music it really does evolve over the years in my opinion no two steve vai albums are alike there are differences Emotionally and musically between Passion and Warefare and the Fire Garden Album and you can hear it in the music . Just Listen to the Music and let the music speak for its self .and that is my two cents worth

Peace

Tiffany

PS : sorry for the long post :-(

ROCK KITTEN 76

#45 Post by ROCK KITTEN 76 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:29 pm

pre ordered :D signed book too, excellento and dammm really good price too i'd have liked to have bought 2 i will buy another one when its been released anyway.

holding out for the evo in the uk. the countdown has begun :headbang

kitzz :wink: