satch's tone

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
kpxmikey89

if u listen to the distortions that joe satriani uses, he gets a very agressive distortion and yet sounds clean and mean even with the delay going on and all, and i looked up his gear at the guitar geek - rig searching thing for satch, but he only uses ds-1 and super chorus, some rack delays, boss delay through a marshal cab i think?

but someone told me that its HIS guitar that gives him a clean yet such agressive distortion tone, while im trying to get his tone through a les paul

gime some feed back =)
brainpolice

satch = mids :)
Jay_See2004

Something else thats key for his tone when using the neck pickup is the fact that his guitar has only 22 frets so the harmonic area is right over the neck pickup. This makes some fat ass tone lol

Joe
Rochus

The 'agressive' distortion the JS gives can only be achieved by boosting your amps distortion channel with a pedal (ie. DS-1), which is what Joe does. (Atleast before the Peavey JSX). Normally distorted it gives a sort of more bluesy distortion to my ears... splitting the humbuckers gives you a great clean sound too.

Getting A Peavey JSX helps you getting Satch tonality...tone on the other hand is in the fingerse :wink:
Melodic Dreamer

Rochus wrote:The 'agressive' distortion the JS gives can only be achieved by boosting your amps distortion channel with a pedal (ie. DS-1), which is what Joe does. (Atleast before the Peavey JSX). Normally distorted it gives a sort of more bluesy distortion to my ears... splitting the humbuckers gives you a great clean sound too.

Getting A Peavey JSX helps you getting Satch tonality...tone on the other hand is in the fingerse :wink:
Previous to the JSX Joe used a DS-1 for all of his gain. He did not use it as a booster pedal. He has stated that many of times, and it even shows you that in the Live In SF DVD.

I own a Jsx and let me tell you... you don't need to boost that thing at all.

But!!
He does dearing sometime. The one thing I need to point out is he doesn't use a ds-1, but a Zakk Wylde Overdrive to do the boost thing. I don't know when he acually does this though.
brainpolice

Mids Mids Mids Mids Mids
try about 2.5k for high ones and about 350hz for low ones
Drew3419
Newcomer

Melodic Dreamer wrote:Previous to the JSX Joe used a DS-1 for all of his gain. He did not use it as a booster pedal. He has stated that many of times, and it even shows you that in the Live In SF DVD.
That's rediculous dude.
u2

ok brainpolice could u explain to me what does mids mean?

I know bass means boom boom boom
Treble means high pitched
mids means fatness?
Melodic Dreamer

Drew3419 wrote:
Melodic Dreamer wrote:Previous to the JSX Joe used a DS-1 for all of his gain. He did not use it as a booster pedal. He has stated that many of times, and it even shows you that in the Live In SF DVD.
That's rediculous dude.
Why is that Rediculous? Ask any Satch fan.. he didn't use the Ds-1 like Steve does. Steve uses it as a booster in front of his amps gain, but Satch used it on the clean channel.

Joe settings with the ds-1 are 9 o'clock, 5 o'clock, 2 o'clock. A quote from Joe's site. Plus you have to remember the 6100's clean channel isn't totally clean. It has slight gain to it.
brainpolice

u2 wrote:ok brainpolice could u explain to me what does mids mean?

I know bass means boom boom boom
Treble means high pitched
mids means fatness?
"Mid"...."Middle".... "Mid Range" 1+1 = 2 :)
But you're right...the balls IS in the mids. Which is why people who have plenty of mids dailed in are said to have an edgy, ballsy tone.
On a side note, I sometimes wonder what people think "tone" really means. I see people refering to things like reverb and compression as having to do with "tone" but those are "fx". What kind/gauge strings you use, what kind/gauge picks you use, your sense of touch on the instrument, the chemical composition of your fingers, and most importantly EQ; is what tone consists of. The actual frequencies. Reverbs, delays, choruses flangers, and such things are effects.
Birdman

Spot on BP. And as for Joe's tone? God damn, WAY too much distortion for me. In the Hi Fi game, the better the speaker/amp etc, the more "balanced" everything is, so that not ONE thing stands out etc. To me, it's the same with guitar. You need ALL the components there, so that you can't just narrow it down to "it's mid heavy" or "heaps of bottom end" etc. I love Steve's tone for that reason. There is no stand out frequency that you can notice as such, it's just nice all round. To me, that's a great tone. (For Steve/Joe's etc style of music). For balls to the wall rock, nothing says "I'm in love" more that a Marshall JCM800 head and quad with Vintage speakers in it for me. But that's me. Haha
Alex C
Newcomer

From chat transcript:
Ibanez Dan: Joe, what kind of settings do you use on your Boss DS-1 pedal?

Joe Satriani: 9 o'clock, 5 o'clock, 2 o'clock
( http://www.satriani.com/2000/about/chat ... ctoyz.html )

From a gear setup page:
"A contramano de lo que muchos piensan, el guitarrista obtiene su distorsión exclusivamente del pedal DS-1, ya que sólo usa el canal limpio de su Marshall 6100, el modelo aniversario azul. "...En realidad, uso el canal que nadie usa" -afirma Satriani- "es el único que suena de esta forma, limpio." "
( http://www.guitarraonline.com.ar/set%20satriani.htm )
My rough translation:
"Contrary to what many think, the guitarist gets his distortion exclusively from the DS-1 pedal, and he only uses the clean channel of his Marshall 6100, the blue anniversary model. "In reality, I use the channel that no one uses," affirms Satriani- "it's the only one that sounds this way, clean."

From an interview:
JS: ”It’s funny, right now I’m in this small room I call a studio in my house – somehow my son got the bigger room for all his stuff (chuckles). I’ve got the small room at the end of the hall, but I’m looking at this thing that costs about forty dollars, it’s a Boss distortion, a DS-1. And you know, for years I searched for the perfect Marshall amp, I used to perform with them endlessly, and they’d get stolen, they’d get dropped, or break, and someone would fix them and change them forever. I started to get frustrated about that whole thing. I used to use those little pedals at home, and then one day I thought to myself, ‘I should just bring these out with me whenever I have to play, ‘cause I’m getting sick and tired of this vintage amp stuff.’ And I thought, ‘You’re not gonna sound like Angus Young using this, you’re not gonna sound like these other guitar players.’ But one that I knew I loved more than any other guitar player in the world was Jimi Hendrix. And one day it dawned on me, that my hero was using a loud clean amp, and that he was stepping on the funkiest pedals he could find to make his guitar not sound like the era that he had just grown up in. He was trying so desperately to get out of rock n’ roll, R&B and blues. He wanted to step on something that made outer space noises, and I thought to myself, ‘That’s what I should do!’

“So I went out looking for a loud clean amp, and ended up with a series of Marshalls that had channels on them with no distortion. I then I started looking for that all-round combination of guitar and distortion pedal. I happened upon the first run made Japanese Boss DS-1 distortion pedal, and found that if you set it up in a certain way, if you’ve got a guitar that was sort of like a Strat but had a pick-up configuration more like a Les Paul, if you had a certain kind of string, and if you didn’t have to play chunky rhythm all the time, you had to play melodies, solos and stuff like that – I found that this was an unbelievable set up. Because it was quiet, and it was self-compressed, so it lent itself more towards the way that you hear melodies on records, which are limited and compressed in the studio. You know, by the time they get onto vinyl. And this is going back years ago, when there was vinyl; you’ll have to explain that to your readers (laughs). But of course now the sound of distorted guitar is totally different to the way it was back then. It was a bit more vintage-orientated; there was a lot of guilt about that with guitarists. But I just said, ‘This orange box is my friend, and any other box that sounds weirder is also my friend.’ I didn’t get back into vintage amps till 1995, because I was thinking, ‘No, it’s the guitar and the pedal, and I’m gonna create an unique dialogue between the two.’
( http://www.users.bigpond.com/apertout/Satriani.htm )
Melodic Dreamer

Alex C,
Thank You
Told you he only used the DS-1 for his main gain. :wink:
godisme
Newcomer

"but someone told me that its HIS guitar that gives him a clean yet such agressive distortion tone, while im trying to get his tone through a les paul"

Your friend might have been talking about a high pass filter on Joe's Ibanez volume pot, that gives him this agressive and cutting throuh sound.
Maybe.
Birdman

Read between the lines and what he says is that if he could get and keep the vintage Marshall tone and amps, he'd keep it. Hahaha. Still, WAY too much distortion for my taste (Joe's sound) and aren't Fender amps supposed to have the "cleanest" clean sound around? Hahaha