Legacy amp.

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
fred
Newcomer

Hi ,

I am planing to buy an legacy , does anybody have some sound sample to upload or post ?

i don't know somebody who has one.

thx
fred
Moderator777

Try Carvin's website:

http://www.carvin.com/vai/

There you will find a sample of Steve playing the Carvin Legacy. In addition while you're there, check out lots of other info on the amp.

--------------
Thank you,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

fred wrote:Hi ,

I am planing to buy an legacy , does anybody have some sound sample to upload or post ?

i don't know somebody who has one.

thx
fred
Listen to "Alive in an Ultra World" that should give you an idea also :D
Dave Swift

Here is a quick demo I did a few months back for someone. Didn't spend more than five minutes on the recording, so it ain't the greatest quality, but it should give you an idea. The First half is the legacy's clean channel with a DS-1 infront of it. The second half is the legacy's distorted channel.

http://www.daveswift.net/Legacy.mp3
bobsbus

On Jibbob, my entry in the tonos, Vai challenge, I played straight Legacy into an elcheapo 4 X 12 cab loaded with Pile drivers. It was miced with a U-87. No EQ to speak of, just a little verb on mixdown.
bobsbus

I am also curious weather Mr. Vai uses stock Legacy amps, or if there are any mods done and if so, will those mods show up in future models from Carvin.
Ricky Garcia

bobsbus wrote:On Jibbob, my entry in the tonos, Vai challenge, I played straight Legacy into an elcheapo 4 X 12 cab loaded with Pile drivers. It was miced with a U-87. No EQ to speak of, just a little verb on mixdown.
Honestly that was the song that I saw as beeing the winner!! However pupu-sneefing that might sound now!!
Anthony
VIP
VIP

bobsbus wrote:I am also curious weather Mr. Vai uses stock Legacy amps, or if there are any mods done and if so, will those mods show up in future models from Carvin.

Well, here's the story as I remember it. The original Legacys were different than the Legacys of today. Apparently, Steve found someone who would do mods on the original Legacy heads, and so he had his modded. I guess Carvin figured that they would just do the mods themselves and do it on the production models, but it didn't turn out QUITE right. I know that in the Mothership, there were a couple of coveted "original" Legacy amps, but one was given to Greg Koch after he finished recording his second cd for FN because he just loved loved loved that head so much. There might be another one or two. I might not be telling the story correctly, though.

So, now the Legacy amps are like Legacy v1.1 where there are still some features of 1.0 that will be missed, but some things that 1.1 has that 1.0 doesn't. I'll have to get the real full story from Neil Citron again sometime.

My main point is that Steve uses stock Legacy amps. Believe me, I've unpacked them and set them up for him. What you buy is exactly what he uses. No mods or nothin'. :)

Just a couple of pedals, like the DS-1 or MXR90.

Anthony
Ricky Garcia

Yeah .. well then you have the amp.. but the playing is unreachable!! :cry:
mange

bobsbus wrote:On Jibbob, my entry in the tonos, Vai challenge, I played straight Legacy into an elcheapo 4 X 12 cab loaded with Pile drivers. It was miced with a U-87. No EQ to speak of, just a little verb on mixdown.
Hi boB! That's some amazing playin'!!! :D
bobsbus

Thanks... :oops: I was shocked when my little jam made it to the finals.

... and now I want my Legacy back. I sold it to get a Rivera TBR-1SL, but I would love to hear the Legacy through my currennt speaker configuration. I have been playing around with the scouped-mid, heavy tone for a couple years now. I think I am ready to go back to something like the Legacy had. Not trying to make "popular music". Just doing it for my own enjoyment.
fred
Newcomer

Thanks everybody for your info!
Nilsefix

Hey Bob sir ;)
I listent to the mp3 you put out .. That is some nice playin mister . And i wouldnt think that was a legacy (but lets not start a discussion) . I think you have a great tone wich is something alot of people forget about . Also your technique is fabously clean and nice (even MORE forget about playin clean) .
Really nice , i was impressed ..
rock on mister

-Nilsefix-
fyrie

I'm thinking about getting a Legacy also. I used to be a gigging musician so I have a Marshall 1960A Cab(4x12- even though they really measure 10 inches across - what is up with that??) laying around. I am not sure which flavor of speakers is in it, but I think they are the standard 'G12T-75' . I'm currently using a Johnson Mil 250 (sounds like complete crap) with an ADA MP2 running thru the fx loop to provide distortion because the Johnson distortion sounds like poo. I have a busted 200 watt ADA MicroTube Lying around which sounds slightly better than the Johnson.

I really, really like the unique,yet traditional sound that the legacy provides. I have pretty much decided to get one, but I am left with 2 dilemmas:

1. Which Legacy to buy?
  • Just buy the Legacy Head and use my 1960A Cab. I have no idea if it would sound good.
  • Buy the 2x12 combo which has the speakers that it is made for. However, I have never heard a sound sample of the combo, so I can only assume it sounds as nice, but just half as loud. Also, I no longer gig, but when I did, I always found that 4x12 was overkill since you always mike the amp anyway. In fact most sound guys wanted me to keep the stage level down in order to get a decent mix.
2. What to do about low-volume playing?
  • Most of my guitar playing now takes place in my living room while I veg-out in front of the TV. Back in the day I used to see ads for these devices that you would plug in-between the amp and the speakers. This would allow you to crank the amp's master volume all the way up to get that master gain going, but it would buffer/leech the power before it got to the speakers so you could play as quiet as you like. Are these things still being made, and if so, what are they called?
Any advice would be appreciated!
Ricky Garcia

Nilsefix wrote:Hey Bob sir ;)
I listent to the mp3 you put out .. That is some nice playin mister . And i wouldnt think that was a legacy (but lets not start a discussion) . I think you have a great tone wich is something alot of people forget about . Also your technique is fabously clean and nice (even MORE forget about playin clean) .
Really nice , i was impressed ..
rock on mister

-Nilsefix-
Bob is THE MAN I am telling ya!! 8)