DS-1..modifications

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Nick.

how do you modify your own ds-1? either a jap one or a thaiwan one. buying a modified one looks like a rip off (here in the uk anyway) so i thouight buying a cheaper one, the jap or the thai one and modify it yourself. although i figured you might need a few new parts. so how do you modify a ds-1??
Nilsefix

Yeah!
and why?
Nick.

?? why would i want to modify it myself? its probably cheaper than buying the modified one.
Nilsefix

no , but why do you modify? what do people do with them ? and what happens to the sound ...

nilsefix
Nilsefix

no , but why do you modify? what do people do with them ? and what happens to the sound ...

nilsefix
Nick.

it makes them alot better in the tone and sound department
Moderator666

Nick.

thanks for the link. but it doesn't say what you need to do to modify it by yourself. and where to get the parts....
Vaijem777

You can buy a "Mod It Yourself" kit from Robert Keeley at his site. I'm pretty sure that full instruction are included :)

Otherwise, you can try www.analogman.com. I think he sells some mod kits as well.
Jai0705

http://www.robertkeeley.com

This guy is great. I asked him about modding it myself and he just sent me out a kit for like $20, had the instructions and all the parts I needed. It wasn't that difficult, did it myself in an afternoon. This was awhile back, before he had the Ultra DS-1 mod (Vai mod), so the kit I bought was only for the "Seeing Eye" mod.

The sound is much more tube-like, incredible sound. In front of a tube amp I think this thing would sound unreal. It's definitely worth it.
Nick.

i asked if they did mod-kits and the answer was no... :?: :?
BigBadMoFoGangsta

Whats the difference between the seeing eye mod and he ultra ds-1 mod(Vai mod). Thanks.
Emerson wrote:http://www.robertkeeley.com

This guy is great. I asked him about modding it myself and he just sent me out a kit for like $20, had the instructions and all the parts I needed. It wasn't that difficult, did it myself in an afternoon. This was awhile back, before he had the Ultra DS-1 mod (Vai mod), so the kit I bought was only for the "Seeing Eye" mod.

The sound is much more tube-like, incredible sound. In front of a tube amp I think this thing would sound unreal. It's definitely worth it.
Nick.

where do you get the mod kit from??
glynn

BigBadMoFoGangsta wrote:Whats the difference between the seeing eye mod and he ultra ds-1 mod(Vai mod). Thanks.
Emerson wrote:http://www.robertkeeley.com

The Ultra mod has an extra switch, in the up position, its the same as the seeing eye mod, and in the switch down position, it reduces the gain, and lets you get more volume and a bigger bottom end. Very worth the 10 extra bucks.
wireman24

I have been trying to contact Keeley electronics for days now.
Have any of you had the same problems getting through to them?
I would like to get my DS1 pedal mod but I am starting to have second thoughts because it is so hard to get in touch with them.

For those of you that have had the mod done did you have any problems getting your pedal back? Does it take a long time?
any info you can give me would be great.
Thanks