Any good suggestions as far as a guitar head

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Snow

The Prez wrote:Any MArshall, 8X12, 100 watt amp :wink:
Listen to him! This is what I'd get.
j.arledge

well i didn't quite get enough for a used xxx or legacy but i did get a peavey classic 50 tube head. I really dont need an amp i can break my windows with and i am not in a band so i think 50 tube watts will be enough. As well as the fact that the peavey classic 50 head got good marks on www.harmony-central.com

I am really excited, i cant wait till i get it, i have been ampless for about 2 weeks now, the head i had died.
Pro-string strummer

avt 150H
Bold_As_Love

No offense to the marshall lovers, im a fan too. But the only problem with marshalls is to get great tone, you have to turn them up real loud. This is bad for hearing and the neighbors :wink: Of course the solution to this would be to get a power soak ($200 and upwards)

I would much rather get a mesa boogie, i have read countless reviews of people, and known many people who have gotten a boogie, and are never going to go to anything else. Mesa boogies can be used for tons of styles, from what i can tell in guitar player magazine, they are used from metal to jazz. My favorite boogie would be the road king! its features are INSANE!!! go here for info: http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/ ... adking.htm

Also, you dont need to get a head, there are tons of great sounding combo amps out there, and you can just mic them. And another thing to consider in purchasing a new amp. is the style of music you play.

Im a gear junkie, i spend all day online looking at gear :D , dont get me wrong, i dont spend my entire life online, but i know tons about gear. so if you have any questions, just post something and ill get back to you.

go here for user reviews on everything: http://harmony-central.com/

A caution: some users may be inexperienced or just havent spent enough time with the product, so be careful who you listen to.

I'd love to help you find an amp, just tell me what your looking for and ill try and help, thanks.

Rock On!

er, if the budget won't quite stretch as far as a used xxx or legacy then it sure ain't going to cover a Road King! hehe.

That said, I'd recommend the Legacy or Hughes & Kettner Tri-amp MkII.

Or a Laney, they make a good noise. I wouldn't recommend marshall unless it's vintage, but it's all down to personal taste.

If you want an excellent rhythm tone, a-la Nuno Bettencourt, look no further than Hughes & Kettner. If you want a great, smooth lead tone then Legacy, although the Laney will do it too.

If you want a slightly dirtier lead tone, a kind of shred tone but which will cover all levels of saturation, then get Laney. Paul Gilbert and Andy Timmons use them and they both have excellent, consistent tone.
Bold_As_Love

o, sorry, im too lazy to read all the posts.

yeah so am I! God knows what could have been discussed in the last 2 pages!

Forgot to mention, there's this american company called 'Fender', who happen to make bally good amplifiers don't you know?!

Seriously, they do sound sweet, i'd love one!
Bold_As_Love

no need to be sarcastic

Bold_As_Love, sorry man, I know I was being sarcy but it wasn't directed at you! It was a light-hearted joke, the sarcasm aimed at myself, but the post directed towards the original question!

No offence was intended, I was just messing about.......like anybody would have not heard of Fender!

Peace 8)