Any good suggestions as far as a guitar head

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
j.arledge

this may not be the right site to post this on but, i am looking for a guitar head and was wondering if you had any suggestions other than the obviuos Carvin leagacy. I really am looking at getting one but i just wanted to see with there were any exceptional stand out amps that any of you play or own.
Melodic Dreamer

The Peavey Jsx
Laney VH-100
j.arledge

the jsx is a bit too high for what i was lookin to spend, though i am sure it is very nice.

I was however looking at the peavey xxx, which joe used for the g3 tour while developing his own signature series.
You can find them used on ebay for around 600.

I was also thinking about maybe a Crate blue voodoo 120 head but i have never played one, and maybe a huges and kettner tube 100.

i have about 500 to 600 to spend so if there are any other suggestions within that range please post.
Melodic Dreamer

Jra2217 wrote:the jsx is a bit too high for what i was lookin to spend, though i am sure it is very nice.

I was however looking at the peavey xxx, which joe used for the g3 tour while developing his own signature series.
You can find them used on ebay for around 600.

I was also thinking about maybe a Crate blue voodoo 120 head but i have never played one, and maybe a huges and kettner tube 100.

i have about 500 to 600 to spend so if there are any other suggestions within that range please post.
Crap! I wish you could spend a little more. lol

I have a Blue Voodoo 120watt Head like brand new. Imean perfect freaking condition. I would sell you the head and the cab for $800. It just sits with a cloth on it. I mostly play my Peavey Classic 50 now.
777?

If i were you i would check used gear...my buddy got a jcm 2000 head for 400 (the thing sounds great) at a local used gear shop here in the dc area.
j.arledge

i do go by, some of my local pawn shops offten to see what they have. for the mostt part though, they have thier stuff marked what it's worth, and they always have older amps that are crap.

My local music store is a joke, they hav about 25-30 guitars 4 that are over a 1000. They are suppose to sell fender, gibson, prs, epiphone and ibanez but they sell all fender and ibanez(wich they dont have an ibanez over 600)

The gear is the same. They had one xxx i played a marsahll avt50 head and an xxl and 2 or 3 fender combos.

Good news is i may be going to Dallas (which is 220 miles away) so i may get to go to guitar center and i was looking to play some of the amps suggested there.
Pro-string strummer

ms-1
RAI

Jra2217 wrote: I was however looking at the peavey xxx, which joe used for the g3 tour while developing his own signature series.
Actually, Joe wasn't using the XXX series on the G3 tour.
Those were various JSX prototypes, in the XXX housing.
So, for those that may hear the G3 recordings, and really like Joe's sound..
Be careful in getting the JSX, because what you hear may be an early prototype of the JSX, and not the final version you get in the store.
Only Joe would know when the JSX was actually finalized...
j.arledge

i thougt that peavey would occassinaly send joe a prototype to test at shows but his main rig was the xxx.

Oh well i have played an x^3 and i liked it. It seemed nice , and like it had a lot of versatillity.

Thanks for for all your posts and help, i am pertty sure i will get an x^3 unless i just stumble onto a better deal.
Melodic Dreamer

He said on the Peavey site that it was the second Proto-type that was captured on film for the G3 DVD out of the six he used through out the tour .
The Prez

Any MArshall, 8X12, 100 watt amp :wink:
j.arledge

oh ok thanks for the info, i was wrong.
Given To Fly

If you want a good lead sound and overall good amp in every way, there are none better than the Legacy for the price. The XXX is cool but it's totally different and the quality of sound isn't quite as good. But it would be better for metal and what not. But overall I can recommend Legacy with no hesitation!
j.arledge

i was told that the legacy had a week distortion channle and was more of an amp with a good clean channle and an aid on the distrtion. I did not say this but was told by a few people(not here)

I will take anything that is quaility and some what versitial, as long as it will last and give good tone i dont care what brand or model i just want to feel confident that every time i turn on my amp that it will sound act and preform like it did when i got it(which is somewhat impossable but close is good) I basically dont want to end up with a p.o.s

Now i am just waiting for the best deal on a legacy or xxx

i dont think i will go wrong with either if i do i am sure it is better than what i have already
777?

just remember legacy's need to be cranked or you need to get a hotplate or powerbrake for good tone.