Vocal processing software (pitch correction and harmonizing)

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
shotput250

What are some good Vocal processing software out there? I will use it mostly for pitch correction (my voice is like something from hell) and maybe some harmonizing. Or maybe there is a seperate software for both.

thanks

ian
ds23pallas

For Pitch correction the best automatic software is Antares Autotune, the plugin version of the famous hardware unit.

For more dramatic manipulation have a look at Celemony Melodyne - it's unbelievable
shotput250

thanks for the response... See I always sing higher than I can... and I have a habit of going flat and stuff like that. It doesn't sound like I'm tone deaf... but anyone could notice it just as long as they know a thing or two about music... That stuff you mentioned would get rid of that???

thanks

Ian
ds23pallas

Autotune will. You set it to a particular scale and then set a couple of options on how it should correct the pitch and it fixes wrong notes. It works on anything you put through ot too, so you can stick a guitar through it to correct errors :wink:

It can be used very subtely to correct errors, or you can use it as Cher did for that wobbling vocal sound in "Believe" or whatever it was called.

Melodyne gives you a graphical representation of the notes which you can then drag up and down to change the pitch or left and right to change the timing.
shotput250

thanks again for your reply... I did some research... and it does not look like autotune can be used for VST on windows... I only read Mac VST... but on XP I can use it as a direct X plug-in... could I use it in Sonar 3 then?

thanks again

Ian
ds23pallas

I have Autotune running in Sonar 3 Producer, so yes - it will work. :)
shotput250

AWESOME! How much did you get it for?

thanks

Ian
Lake of desire

Is the Melodyne a stand alone unit or a plug in for something? The demo video is quite impressive!
ds23pallas

I think Melodyne is standalone, but you can run it via rewire in your sequencer host. There is a demo version out there somewhere, I had it running for a while but I think it must have been time bombed because its not on my machine anymore.

The Antares Autotune plugin is about £200 for the DirectX version. The TDM version is more IIRC.