Damn, lost a great pick!

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Sliver

i love my picks.
i have a magical fender heavy. ive lost like four times and it always seems to come back. i use it for special occassions. like the last time i thought i had lost it for good and then my neighbor came over and said he'd found it in front of my hous...amazing! :D
SS

I use the Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm - the purple ones.
I use the ever-loving crap out of them until they're so badly misshapen that they just won't work any longer.
Scratching an X, huh? I happen to scribe a 'T' into just one side, the logo side. That is the only side allowed to go toward my thumb, you see.
(OCD - things must be this way for me...)
I grow attached, and so the same pick stays with the guitar for as long as I can do it - until it's too worn, or lost (*knock wood* haven't lost one in yeeeeeeeeeears...) I compare my aged ones to a new one, and they're very lopsided - the one side is ground way down, even though my pick attack isn't too brutal for the most part.
I don't pick with the tip, though; strangely enough, I use the whole side of it... it's laying over at a strange angle in my fingers - I'd say it's about 50 degrees from perpendicular to the strings, if you use the center-line of the pick to measure that angle. It's waaaaaaaaay over... I don't know how it is that I ended up with this pick posture, and I can't 'correct' it now it seems, as my picking sounds all messed up when I hold it 'book-perfect' style.
Go figure.
=]
Anthony
VIP
VIP

If anyone's interested, there's a guy named D'Andrea (I think he's in NYC) and he makes basically the same picks as Vai's. My bought 75 or so of them and they ARE similar, but I'm not sure if they're the same. Steve's come in Ibanez bags. It's all contracted through Ibanez. Neil Citron was telling me where they're available for purchase, but I don't remember where exactly it was. Someone e-mail me and remind me if you're that interested because I'll probably forget to check up on it. :)

Anthony
kettil

I saw a while ago that those Vai signature picks are available on www.ibanez.co.jp :!:

Click on "click here for the Japansese market home page", then click "accessories", then "picks", and you'll find them. They look the same as the Jewel Box picks to me. (At least Steve's signature is on them).
StrongBad

I STOLE IT HAHAHHAHA j/k well i lost some crappy thick picks that just suck cuz I play too hard on. Well I wish I had an "indestructable" pik like some of you have. Heck I remember my bro. had a "triple pik" that had three ends to pik with. :twisted: :twisted: But I don't have a pik
They are too DARN EXPENSIVE sob* HAHAHHAHAHA
Fink Floyd

I use Tortex .60s. The fattest pick I've used is a Gibson 1mm bass pick, which I loved, but I lost it a while back. I could never play with a 3mm or even 2mm pick - I need flexibility in my picks. I can still alternate pick damn fast with it though. I don't sweep - I'm an economy/strict alterate guy.
Willin

I've used thin flexable picks, the D'Andrea picks found here in New York, the Dunlop Jazz III's, the 2-3mm thick purple plastic Dunlop Stubby picks, and lots more. None of them and I mean *none* of them even remotely compare to the Dunlop Tortex H3's. They are amazing picks. The Jazz III's were a decent size (a little on the small side) but the biggest problem with them was that they slipped out of my fingers once my hands started sweating a bit! The H3 picks have some type of powder on them that prevents them from slipping at ALL! You will be astonished when you try them out. The size and shape is perfect as well... at least in my opinion. Zakk Wylde uses them although he gets his own custom black colored ones (the standard is purple). If you order them from Dunlop.com their identification number is 472R H3. The full label on the bag is "472RH3 TORTEX JAZZ PACK". Try them out once and I *guarantee* you will never want to use another pick in your life.
freak

Passion & Warfare wrote:hmmm,... I am the only one who uses jim dunlop 3mm picks?
I usae em for everything (I use small 3mm stubby for lead and big 3mm stubby for rhythm :twisted: )
UV

Favorite picks are cool! I have a pick that I got from GKS a few years ago and it is my favorite, worn out and all!

U
v :D
Given To Fly

I get really attached to picks. I have a MArshall pick that I refuse have leave my bedroom because I have had it since I started playing (7 years). Course come to think of it I don't know where it is at the moment. But that's ok because it turns up. Another thing thought I always lose all my picks. My pants are weird so when I sit down in less then perfect posture (in a car, or couch) They fall out of my pocket. They turn up after a month or so though.
PipeT
Newcomer

I definitely go for Dunlop's Jazz picks, 1.7mm or thicker. They have this unique size and shape giving better dinamics and attack than any other pick I tried.
MicJustMic
Newcomer

Cats and picks, bad combination man, just bad. :roll: :wink:

Mic
Reaper

MicJustMic wrote:Cats and picks, bad combination man, just bad. :roll: :wink:

Mic
I can't say I've ever had that problem. And I have two cats. Hmmm...
MicJustMic
Newcomer

Reaper wrote:
MicJustMic wrote:Cats and picks, bad combination man, just bad. :roll: :wink:

Mic
I can't say I've ever had that problem. And I have two cats. Hmmm...
Mine seem to just LOVE the things, if I leave one somewhere that they can get to it there's no way it won't vanish on me, and most likely end up under the stove/fridge/dishwasher. :roll:

I'll sit watching TV and see Patch or Leo walk by with one sticking out of her/his mouth, it was kind of funny until I realized that the gross of picks I bought in January is down to about 70 already . . . and I haven't even been playing out that much!

It's all because of the cats . . . I've started keeping them in a drawer (the picks, not the cats :twisted: ) and if I leave one out it's usually in the strings of a guitar, they sometimes can get those out, but usually not.

Mic
GuitarStrings

ChickenScratch wrote:I had to come on here and tell you guys about loosing an awsome pick. Yes I know picks are cheap but I grow attached to them after a while and can't bear to part with them.

It was this purple Dunlop 1.5 mm and I scratched an X into both sides so it won't slip when I'm playing fast and I left it on top of my amp and now it's not there!

Am I the only one that grows attached to a pick around here? I swear if I get a good vibe off a pick and get some good play out of it I'll keep it till it's just about unplable.

I use a Stubby 2.0mm, that transparent purple one. Since I can't find any other here in italy, I am going to keep it untill I find thm in stores... I'll buy like 100 of them...