help with amp

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Super_Pools
Newcomer

ok so this may be a little tricky. i would like a new amp as all ive got is a crappy little practice thing that breaks every few days. i dont need anything huge, infact i cant afford anything huge. the main companies ive looked at so far are marshall and peavey, marshall look better value from what ive seen. the main specs i would like are around 30 watt or higher if possible, but probs nothing 2 loud as i wudnt b allowed full volume neway (stupid parents) and the price is nowhere over £200 (so say $250). i dont know much about amps so if this is immpossible to pull for that kind of budget, plz tell me
Ffats

Does it have to have a scorching overdrive channel? Or do you have effects that would do?

I think with your budget a tube amp would be out of the question, so we'll have to look at solid-state options.
shader

I saw an old used Gibson tube amp go for $200, so if he looks around, maybe. It sounded pretty damn sweet too
Super_Pools
Newcomer

i think ive got the effects covered for now. nowt special, but ive got a digitech rp50 which does all the effects i need atm, n im gettin a cry baby in a few weeks
Jason Honaker

An obvious possibility is to check your local music shops for, well, used gear (be sure to do a thorough inspection though). If nothing else, maybe you can check for a CRATE amp.....sometimes they have decent stuff....
Maybe if you could tell us what type of tone you are looking for, we might be able to help.......

Hope you get what you want dude.. 8)
b-good
jay
shader

You have an RP50?

I truly feel sorry for you....
Super_Pools
Newcomer

lol its ok 4 u u can choose how much u spend on guitars - i get wot im given. i mean how many guitars u got man? neways ive been usin it less n less. i mite aswell give u a chance 2 laf at ma guitar n all while im here - an ibanez rg320fa. thanx 4 the help neway guys. the search (both 4 amp and cash) goes on
shader

dude. Here's what i did

When I was 16, i went out and busted my ass an entire summer serving hot dogs (and taking crap from people who assume they're better than you because your job sucks) at an amusement park. (and there were 14 year old kids working there as well - you can find a job if you really look)

After saving up money, i went out and bought the best thing i could afford (used of course) - a Trace Elliot speed-twin C50 and a Gibson Les Paul Classic. New, they would go for about $3000+ (list on the trace elliot was $2000, i think the MF sale was like $1400, and $1600 for the les paul), i paid $1650 for both ($1100 for the guitar, $450 for the amp). I didn't like the sound of Ibanez or Jacksons or whatnot, i pretty much only played classic rock back then.

Anyways, about the RP50, the effects on it are ok (the distortion amp models are horrendous though). I have an RP300 and my friend has an RP100 - Mine completely crapped out after a year and a half of moderate use, none of the pedals work at all or anything now. His is on the verge of crapping out (he got his 6 months after i got mine, so it should go any time soon now :P) I have a friend whos had a Zoom pedal for over 4 years, which is still going strong and sounds great (even the distortion on it is pretty good)
Super_Pools
Newcomer

thats pretty good advice. the rp50 is great for annoyin neighbours though :twisted: the pedals are pretty flimsy, every time u use em they feel like there gonna break, but its ok sat in the corner of ma computer room.
Just got the rg320 so i doubt i'll b allowed a new guitar for a while, even if i can afford it. i cant wait 2 get my cry baby. i really do feel sorry for the ppl next door sumtimes. then again thats never stopped me before. i wud luv a js series guitar, but they dont make the damn things in left handed