VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: power supplies..?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:20 am 

I was just wondering...

I have a pedaltrain pro and run it with 1spot daisy chains, (which are awesome) but wanted a tank instead so I can mount it and hide the wires, and this thought popped into my head..
Pedalpower Mondo's are like, £300, which is completely absurd for a power supply, and I'd need 2.
There's a lot of other options I know like fuel tanks and MXR bricks, but I've been looking on Amazon for cheaper ones (£30-40 ish) from companies like JOYO and Oxford Street (I think that's the name anyway..) which have 10 variable outputs, LEDs to see if they're connected etc.

ANYWAY

is there actually any justification in this huge price difference between small companies and huge brands like Voodoolabs? I mean, surely there isn't going to be much difference in how the electric gets fed to the pedal.. it just seems ridiculous to me. Can anybody shed some light?

Post subject: Re: power supplies..?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:58 am 

There's two...
The ModTone one

and the Voodoo Labs...

I've owned several of the ModTones- they don't do much, and overheat for nothing

Go with the Voodoo Labs- I never buy new gear but the last thing I bought new was a Voodoo Labs ISO 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:48 am 

I've brushed up a bit on my power supply knowledge, and I didn't realise the cheap one I mentioned was essentially a daisy chain in a box instead of individual outputs.
Also, many people I've spoken to have said the Voodoolabs are pretty noisy at high volume due to their transformers picking up a lot of microphonics, not to mention that pedals have a certain milliamp draw that the supply cant handle (i.e, it would be set to handle say, 9v and 500ma, so if you threw anything other than a boss pedal in you'd be picking up all sorts)

The only thing I've seen that has really caught my eye is theGigRig system since it caters for individual pedal requirements, and can power up to around 60 pedals I believe with extra outputs. I was turned onto it by a friend who works for them, and at first I thought he'd be bias, but all of the stuff I've seen is very VERY good. You'd swear your amp is off its so quiet. Definitely going with them!
Not to mention I've heard that somebody else is also going with them.. exciting stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:55 pm 

dc27 wrote:
Also, many people I've spoken to have said the Voodoolabs are pretty noisy at high volume due to their transformers picking up a lot of microphonics, not to mention that pedals have a certain milliamp draw that the supply cant handle (i.e, it would be set to handle say, 9v and 500ma, so if you threw anything other than a boss pedal in you'd be picking up all sorts)

Not true,
Not true,
and...Not true

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:55 pm 

...i said ISO5 for a reason