Login with a social network:

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Carvin Legacy VL100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:01 am 

re differences in the heads,

the early amps are different to the later ones,the back panel is different and the only way of telling without looking inside the amp.
the back panel on the later models had the bottom section removed to allow for better ventilation.

inside the early ones have 6 black filter caps(22uf)and the later model has 2 blue caps(82uf) there are also a few other minor changes(resistor/capacitors)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:50 am 

Just took the jump and got it. Cant wait for it to be delivered! I think its the earlier one from what you described. CANT WAIT! :D :guitar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:10 am 

nice,

so you bought the one on ebay? that amp is a very recent amp and if i remember right is only a few years old.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:47 am 

That's the one. I don't know, I'm a little confused. The back has the standard attenuation/speaker/loop/power etc etc and the normal ventilation grill SEALED like this one : http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/att ... 0-hd-2.jpg

I assume the extra ventilation is the gap between the two like this: http://img25.olx.ua/images_slandocomua/ ... oblast.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:52 am 

you are dead right.

however the amp you just bought was recovered in snakeskin by the original owner which i removed and recovered in black tolex.
i never re-covered the back panel but swapped one over from another amp hence the mix up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:18 am 

paulh123 wrote:
you are dead right.

however the amp you just bought was recovered in snakeskin by the original owner which i removed and recovered in black tolex.
i never re-covered the back panel but swapped one over from another amp hence the mix up.

I've seen the snakeskin one pop up a few times! boy this has gotten confusing! so I have the newer(what once was) snakeskin legacy with the back panel from an older legacy, correct? :headbang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:33 am 

to the best of my knowledge(memory) yes.
the original owner was bucketbot(ian)who is well known on several forums including carvin.if you do a search on that forum you should find the threads he did on having the amp covered and the master volume he fitted(which i also removed,hence the small hole in the front of the amp)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:38 am 

paulh123 wrote:
to the best of my knowledge(memory) yes.
the original owner was bucketbot(ian)who is well known on several forums including carvin.if you do a search on that forum you should find the threads he did on having the amp covered and the master volume he fitted(which i also removed,hence the small hole in the front of the amp)

Ah that's pretty cool! I'll definitely have a look!
Why has everyone removed the master volume from this amp? is it a bad or something? I thought the legacy sounds awesome when the volume is high, surely the mod would allow a great tone but suited for any situation?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:16 am 

re the master volume,imho its just not needed,anything used in the fx loop with a volume control will do the same thing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:42 am 

paulh123 wrote:
re the master volume,imho its just not needed,anything used in the fx loop with a volume control will do the same thing

Ah, I suppose that makes sense. I still may put it back in though so at least I can kill off any hiss/hum between songs with a volume pedal instead of messing with the overall level.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:59 am 

Nothing is stupider- or more damaging than those stupid attenuators that are a volume knob put through the effects loop

don't do it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:04 am 

Jeries wrote:
Nothing is stupider- or more damaging than those stupid attenuators that are a volume knob put through the effects loop

don't do it

total and utter rubbish,raising or lowering the signal through the fx loop will not ever damage an amp.many amps have fx send or fx return level knobs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:38 am 

It arrived last night, and I've just got a chance to play it!

WHAT AN AMPLIFIER.
I've never had an amp that sounds great no matter how you set it. I've only had chance to run straight into the amp with no effects, but the lead channel is awesome! People are right, its not instant Vai but it can get pretty damn close, and that's without any effects.

Anybody got any recommended settings? I already have my favourites and experimented a bit, just wondering how people set theirs :mrgreen:
:guitar :headbang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:27 am 

thats great,glad you like the amp.
imho the only downside of these amps is they dont play hi gain chords to well due to the high bass content.i always overcame this by backing of the volume pot on my guitar to get a cleaner crisper rhythm tone.
nearly everyone ive seen sets there amps up like this on the dirty channel
pres,6-7 treb,6-7 mids,4-6 bass,6(the bass knob does very little really) gain,6-7
add a delay in the loop and i think you will love it even more,run 2 heads in stereo through 2 4x12`s and you will hear a really amazing setup.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:03 am 

paulh123 wrote:
thats great,glad you like the amp.
imho the only downside of these amps is they dont play hi gain chords to well due to the high bass content.i always overcame this by backing of the volume pot on my guitar to get a cleaner crisper rhythm tone.
nearly everyone ive seen sets there amps up like this on the dirty channel
pres,6-7 treb,6-7 mids,4-6 bass,6(the bass knob does very little really) gain,6-7
add a delay in the loop and i think you will love it even more,run 2 heads in stereo through 2 4x12`s and you will hear a really amazing setup.

that's interesting, I find it to be very well rounded and clear. Maybe its my cab.. its going through a Marshall 1960a. One of my favourite settings for the dirty channel is everything straight up at 12 o clock, maybe with the treble and middle up a tiny bit more, and the presence almost off. It might be personal taste but I find the presence control gives the tone a really strange bite, not necessarily bad, just not my thing.
I would definitely consider getting another, good price, great tone, why not?

How does Vai set his in stereo? most of the photos Ive seen are one of the heads putting back in what was taken out of the other. So why not just set everything at 12? I've also heard from somewhere I don't remember that he only uses the Legacy 1's for the power amp for the Axe fx and the 3's for the actual tone.. any truth to this?