Login with a social network:

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Carvin Legacy VL100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, the Axe-fx's are used for effects & switching only.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:30 am 

the power amp section on the 2nd head is used for the stereo split,so you simply take the 2nd(normally r/h side)channel out of your fx processor or pedal if it it has stereo outs,into the fx loop return of the 2nd head.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:02 am 

so the second head's EQ is rendered completely obsolete? that would explain the weird settings. So where do the 3's come into it then? surely it must be the same situation but with different model heads right? so does that mean there's 4 feeds from the pedals in the loop?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:41 am 

dc27 wrote:
so the second head's EQ is rendered completely obsolete? that would explain the weird settings. So where do the 3's come into it then? surely it must be the same situation but with different model heads right? so does that mean there's 4 feeds from the pedals in the loop?

yes thats right,none of the knobs on the 2nd head will do anything.

the setup is the same regardless of which amp/model is used.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:57 am 

paulh123 wrote:
dc27 wrote:

yes thats right,none of the knobs on the 2nd head will do anything.

the setup is the same regardless of which amp/model is used.

That makes sense!

But going back to Jeroen, what exactly does the Axe FX switch between? My head's telling me its dealing with the effects that aren't seen on the board (delay, chorus etc) but I feel like its doing something else.. In theory, a Legacy set up the same combined with the same pedals should get you the tone, just without the modulation and delay. So why doesn't it? Part of me doesn't believe that he leaves the amp modelling in the Axe FX alone.. There has to be something secret, or there'd be no issue recreating/releasing his patches. Or could it just be his legacies are different to production? If they were the same then why would he label one 'main' instead of just using either?

I know its a lot of questions, its just I felt the need to get some questions answered that I couldn't find before buying mine to help other people in the same spot!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:45 am 

that's simple: Turn the volume up! The Legacy does need some volume but it's an amazing amp. Don't try to play it at bedroom level. No point. If you do though, turn the amp volume up and use a volume pedal in the FX loop (acts like a master volume) and bring the volume down.
Hope that helps

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:43 am 

Santi Rigolizio wrote:
that's simple: Turn the volume up! The Legacy does need some volume but it's an amazing amp. Don't try to play it at bedroom level. No point. If you do though, turn the amp volume up and use a volume pedal in the FX loop (acts like a master volume) and bring the volume down.
Hope that helps

I do that anyway. Still found that its pretty loud even with the pedal almost off, so I might reinstall the master volume as well to help a bit. TONE FOR DAYS.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:41 pm 
Newcomer

Santi Rigolizio wrote:
Hope that helps

8) LOL yea at bedroom volumes its got a real nasty Low mids area that freaks out if you have have much Gain on at all. Almost sounds like a bad tube but its not, it just needs to breathe more. It acts like at low volumes it makes the whole tone stack just flabby.

I have been in many bands since I got my Legacy 1 and it seems to do most anything if you understand how to use the tone section. Its a bit bass heavy but that works well on some music and needs to be way down for other kinds of music.

Mine has been used on anything from Tool to Southern rock to Classic rock and its done it all very well. Quite a wide range of settings for the tone sections to cover all that ground though. You can't just pick one setting for everything.

Oh yea.... its loud as F**k. The other guitar player in my band has a Marshall and I just beat him to death and I'm not even pushing the Legacy much yet.

I took the front panel off and took the wood backing off the front grill and installed a small fan inside to keep it running cool and I never have a heat problem.

If you can run less preamp gain it will be a lot more of a tone monster as well. My preamp gain is usually no more than 4-5 for most stuff and I let the power tubes do the rest. Yes I play pretty damn loud. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:17 am 

It really is a beast of an amp, so damn loud!

Got around to using it in the studio, and you can get the EXACT tone using an SM57 and a couple of C414's. I think people seem to forget how much a microphone and its placement will vary the sound of an amplifier, let alone the post production..

To cut it short, if you're reading this and considering buying one, DO IT :headbang