VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:44 pm 

Close to 10 years ago someone posted "what guitars does everyone have" and nearly 100,000 views and 800+ posts later its still going...

While I don't have a JEM or super expensive guitars... I do have some nice amps...
Sometime I'll posts some pics...
My theory is- and this should go for all of you- i'd rather have a $50 guitar through a $3000 amp, than a $3000 guitar into a $50 amp (which i've seen many many many people do)

So this is what i currently have....
>Mesa Boogie Road King Head (With: Mesa Boogie Rectifier Cab)

>Mesa Boogie 1980 Mark II B (With full Mark II C+ Mod/conversion and fx loop mod...will pick it up next week almost done getting modded) (with: 1985 Marshall 1960b Cab)

>Mesa Boogie Triaxis Preamp

>Mesa Boogie 2:90 Power amp

>Marshall 1959SLP Super Lead Plexi Reissue w/PPIMV Mod (currently being modded again for more gain (With: 1976 Marshall JMP cab with 4 blackback greenback speakers)

>Marshall JCM2000 DSL w/1960a cab (modded/biased/etc tuned up to fix all the known issues/design flaws with these)

>Roland Jazz Chorus (Modern version with stereo fx loop... all crappy broken plastic jacks have been replaced with good metal jacks)

>Vox VBM-1 Brian May Recording Amp

>Fractal Axe FX II

(I only have 5 Pedals: Morley Bad Horsie 1, Bad Horsie 2, Keeley DS-1, TS9dx, Boss Blues Driver)

Speaking of amps- I'm always buying/selling/trading amps...
Within the last 2 years I have owned the following...
Mesa Single Rectifier, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Mesa Triple Rectifier, another triaxis, another 290, sansamp psa-1, marshall jmp-1, an Axe Fx Standard, Axe Fx Ultra (If you're looking into getting one of these get a II- no comparison) Carvin Legacy I, Carvin Legacy III, Carvin X100b, Peavey 5150, I've had 3 other Marshall DSLs, another Roland Jazz Chorus (vintage and sounded better but i wanted the stereo fx loop so it had to go), Marshall JTM60, And probably much more...

Anyway I felt bad when I read about someone being a lot younger than me and having SEVERAL super expensive gutiars JEMs and stuff i can't afford... then I was like 'but i have all these amps' so i made this post.

I'm not a guitar person- def an amp person...
I'll take a $300 Ibanez with DiMarzios over anything else...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:10 pm 

Main amp's a late 80s Carvin x100b.
Stereo slave's a Carvin VM100.
Amps-at-home are a '77 50W Peavey Classic (note, not the "Classic 50") and a Bugera V5.

Also currently in possession of my friend's Fargen Olde 800mkII for another month and a half - and .. holy balls, I've got to get me one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:01 pm 

ok. I'm pathetic.
- Peavey vypyr solid state 30 watt. The only amp that's usable. Its useful, for me who with the different sounds have discovered the universe (vai quote) and beyond. But now it is starting to die. It makes a strange noisebthat echoed my playing (and ive done so many tests, I know it is the amp itself.) And, just like an xbox, the amps lees all turn fen and get the red ring of death.

Hey Jeries, you got amps. How about giving me your Legacy 3 ;) ill give you a hundred bucks ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:52 pm 

kyle am I wrote:
ok. I'm pathetic.
- Peavey vypyr solid state 30 watt. The only amp that's usable. Its useful, for me who with the different sounds have discovered the universe (vai quote) and beyond. But now it is starting to die. It makes a strange noisebthat echoed my playing (and ive done so many tests, I know it is the amp itself.) And, just like an xbox, the amps lees all turn fen and get the red ring of death.

Hey Jeries, you got amps. How about giving me your Legacy 3 ;) ill give you a hundred bucks ;)

sold it already
i got with shipping $30 less than what the guy could have bought one new direct from carvin for

does the peavey have built in reverb?
$1 says the reverb tank is dead- its a really cheap/easy fix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:12 am 

just the legacy 3 and the bogner 101b at the moment,oh and a peavey bandit 112 which is my home and teaching amp.

i have owned,
marshall,
jmp 50w head,jcm800 100w head,jmp1(x2),6100anniversary head,jvm210.

carvin,legacy 1 heads(x2)legacy 1 combo(too heavy!)

peavey 5150.

mesa triaxis,2:90 pwr amp,my main rig for many years which i may go back too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:53 am 

Jeries wrote:
kyle am I wrote:
ok. I'm pathetic.

sold it already
i got with shipping $30 less than what the guy could have bought one new direct from carvin for

does the peavey have built in reverb?
$1 says the reverb tank is dead- its a really cheap/easy fix

yeah its been the reverb. ive always been a problem. why, how do i fix it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:13 pm 

get a new reverb tank-
its probably $20 and really easy to install

just got to find the right kind/size

tubesandmore.com probably has it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:29 pm 

actually, i was wrong. id does it even without reverb on. the amp is just crap anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:39 pm 

I have a Zoom Fire 30 at present I sometimes plug my gt 6 into it and get an ok sound but usually I plug my gt 6 into my pc sounds good sometimes ,and sometimes it dosnt ,depends what mood my pc is in ,

rock on ,..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:17 am 

My amps are :
Marshall JCM-800 2x12 combo.
CornFord Harlequin 1x12 combo.
Peavey EVH 5150 2x12 combo.
Bogner Shiva head -> Kool&Elfring 1x12 . cab w/ G12 heritage speaker.
Carvin Legacy 2x12 Combo.
Soldano Atomic 1x12 combo.

Amps I would like to own :
Fender Twin
Vox AC30 (UK)
Mesa Boogie Dual rect.
Marshall JCM-900
Marshall JMP.
Soldano SLO-100
Etc.

Last edited by bennyvx78 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:10 pm 

bennyvx78 wrote:
Soldano SLO-100

$30 for a choke and $100 or so to a good amp tech for the choke install and a few other mods will make your 5150 a soldano slo100- identical... no difference.

5150 is a knockoff slo100

and you need a Dual Rec- its the best tone on earth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:54 am 

dual rec is actually a closer knockoff of SLO than 5150 (they both are, but recto is closer).

Have a bunch amps, all home-made, but this is what I currently use:

* mark IIc+ preamp lead channel clone (more info http://diy-fever.com/amps/mesa-mark-iic-preamp/)
* 3W clean tube power amp. My own design with some interesting stuff usually not seen in commercial amps. (more info http://diy-fever.com/amps/3w-tube-power-amp/)
* 1x10 cab with Celestion G10 Vintage speaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:22 am 
Newcomer

I have ENGL Screamer 50 Combo amp and I am waiting for my Axe fx ultra :) Very exiting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:30 pm 

Ozgur wrote:
I have ENGL Screamer 50 Combo amp and I am waiting for my Axe fx ultra :) Very exiting.

don't do it

don't

the Ultra is good but don't waste your time or money

you have to get a II

even if its $1000 more and you can't afford it- just do it

the difference between the Ultra and II is like comparing a 1969 Marshall Plexi to a crate 5 watt amp

i thought it would be a little difference- but it was huge- not to mention whats happening with firmware 10 coming out soon

don't get an ultra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:33 pm 

i e been shoping for amps lately and I've noticed there's a lot of horrid amps that grace the music shops these days , still you get what you pay for I guess so I am now looking at the second hand market, you can get a great amp for a third of music store prices , peavy , mess , what ever that's me , don't think ill ever go new again ,go used and save thousands