VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:10 am 
Newcomer

Hey there,

I'm a total casual player enjoying the guitar and I just bought a JEM70V. I don't have any amp equipment right now. I'd like to create "For the love of god" sound as much authentic as possible but on a limited budget of 650 to 900 dollars.

I can say, I love the white look of the Ibanez Tube Screamer models. And I would love to see this thing in my bed room. Besides an Amp I also need something to play the naked tracks from my iPhone.

I'd really appreciate your advice on what to buy :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 am 

Once again... I don't understand the concept of plugging in a $1500 through a cheap amp/no amp...
You're better off having spent the $1200-1300 on a $1300 guitar amp and play a $50 guitar

Anyway- If you want to go the cheap route I'd suggest maybe an Mbox and use software like Amplitube or Guitar Rig- I've gotten a Perfect Vai tone out of Guitar Rig

In your budget you can also get a Digidesign 11 rack (then you wouldn't need an mbox you can use it with protools alone and then use other plugins for guitar- and its a great preamp on its own)

You could get a Boss GT-10 but idk how well that will work out

If you're looking for a cheap tube amp- a 5150 might not be a bad choice
or keep an eye out i've seen Mesa Boogie Recifiers sell for 600-800 and those are the best amps you can get

(You could probably get an old Carvin X100b stack for $400-600 and get an early Vai tone- very similar to the legacy- great clean channel too)