VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:45 am 

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if there is a sustainer pedal that comes close to what the Fernandes Sustainer can do? I'm talking the harmonic sustain effects mainly. Even if there is nothing around today pedal wise, is there anything on the horizon?

I only have one guitar, and I don't want to fit a Fernandes pick-up because I like having a humbucker in the neck position. Plus, it's a seven string guitar.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:57 am 

Being that the Sustainer actually affects how the strings vibrate, I don't see how a pedal can do that...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:24 pm 

first off- no pedal can do it- its not possible

some delay pedals have a hold feature
some pedals like the old boss superdistortionfeedbacker can hold and feedback any note

none would be anything like a sustainer and would be crap

when you see a SUSTAIN PEDAL (not in the piano sense)
it is always a Compression/Sustainer pedal- so basically a compression pedal

which makes your guitar put out the same volume

so you can set it to when you play notes below a certain volume it brings it up to a certain level that you set
or if you play louder than the level you set- it brings the notes down...

so if you're doing loud funky stuff you can get a cool sound when its really compressed
or playing quiet or soloing- if you don't play a note very loud- it makes it sound the same/more consistent

DISTORTION ITSELF IS A FORM OF COMPRESSION

just buy a used fernandes guitar with a sustainer- probably the cheapest route

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:41 pm 

Thanks for your answers.

I didn't realise the pick-up actually caused the string to vibrate. I thought it was maybe some kind of loop that an effect was added to. Watching a video of the Boss Super Distortion made me hear how this would sound, and it sounds awful!

I know there are very rare 7-string versions of the Fernandes Sustainer which were only available on a specific guitar. I've just done a Google search and see that there are alternatives for 7-string though. However, I think as Jeries says, the best route is probably to buy a guitar with one fitted.

Does anybody know how they sound when used as a standard pick-up? I know they are a single coil, but would anyone here consider using it as their main neck pick-up?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:08 pm 

I've seen used fernandes w sustainers for $300

the neck 'pickup' with the sustainer is actually a DRIVER- and it physically vibrates the strings...

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO TRY SOMETHING CHEAP AND FAST- GET AN EBOW- the sustainer blows it away but its better than nothing

fernandes did make a 7 string version with it built it and its the only 7 strings in existence...
if i found one-i'd personally buy it right away and i'd rip out the electronics and throw it in a universe or something

well they make a single coil and a humbucker
i use the humbucker driver

it sounds great as a pickup by itself - doesn't really blend or have equal output of the other pickups if you're mixing them with dimarzios... but sounds good on its own

when the sustainer is on the bridge pickup is on automatically (and the switch doesn't work- you can only use the bridge w sustainer)

i wouldn't use it as a neck pickup because i use DiMarzio and although the pickup driver sounds good on its own- it isn't matched or sounds anything like the

but overall you want it for the sustainer stuff not for 'how it sounds not sustaining'

when i want to use the neck pickup on my sustainer guitar- i just use the bridge pickup with the tone all the way down

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:45 pm 

Many thanks Jeries. That's a big help. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:34 pm 

Jeries has some great info on this subject. True, true, true.

Over the years I've tried to find that perfect sustained sound. Only when you wanted to mind you. Outside of playing right in front of your set up, you can't buy the true sustained sound. I've got pedals and processors that lable the tone in question, but never delivered until I bought a guitar with a real sustained driver installed.

I just got done jamming totally clean, a few days in to the new guitar, but left tears in my eyes how you can pour your heart out with a sweet slight ring at the end of every pause / change.

Jeries is right, get yourself a guitar with a sustainer installed and see if you like it.

I just recently grabbed one with the action low, sustainer installed and with a finish simply beautiful. Never knew what I was missing, until now.......... you will NEVER get the true sustained sound with just an added effect in line with your guitar.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 pm 

here's my sustainer guitar in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjtwCbYyXuM&feature=share&list=UUMBF3rMgNXuAschfDAG_lmg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:36 am 

well, i have an original 80's boss sustainer pedal, the df-2. what it does is you play the guitar, then you step on and hold it, and it will bring the last note you played up an octave (if thats what the setting you used is) and sustain that note until you take your foot off the pedal. but its called a feedbacker, so thats what youd call it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 am 

Jeries wrote:

Fantastic! Sounds great. How did you get to perform there?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:07 am 

kyle am I wrote:
well, i have an original 80's boss sustainer pedal, the df-2. what it does is you play the guitar, then you step on and hold it, and it will bring the last note you played up an octave (if thats what the setting you used is) and sustain that note until you take your foot off the pedal. but its called a feedbacker, so thats what youd call it.

I had a quick listen to someone using one on youtube, and that effect sounded terrible to me. You can hear the 'edges' of the sample it takes. The quality gap between that and the Fernandes is huge to my ears. I do think a MUCH better looped sample pedal version should be achievable though, with today's technology.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:36 am 

SugarNips wrote:
kyle am I wrote:

I had a quick listen to someone using one on youtube, and that effect sounded terrible to me. You can hear the 'edges' of the sample it takes. The quality gap between that and the Fernandes is huge to my ears. I do think a MUCH better looped sample pedal version should be achievable though, with today's technology.

oh no, i know. it sounds like absolute garbage (and it dosent help that i left it out in the rain a few days and snow)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:36 am 

kyle am I wrote:
oh no, i know. it sounds like absolute garbage (and it dosent help that i left it out in the rain a few days and snow)

That's so funny! It may even have made it better! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:11 pm 

SugarNips wrote:
Jeries wrote:

Fantastic! Sounds great. How did you get to perform there?

I've played the anthem at tons of MLB games

I have a college basketball gig late next month doing the anthem

I think I'm going to "RETIRE" from doing the anthem- and if i do a baseball game next season i'll only do one game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:49 pm 

SugarNips wrote:
kyle am I wrote:

That's so funny! It may even have made it better! :)

yes, it gave it more of an "organic" quality