cobalt strings

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
paulh123

cobalt strings

#1 Post by paulh123 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:59 am

so,has anyone on here tried/used the cobalt strings that are now available?

srouth1960
Newcomer

Re: cobalt strings

#2 Post by srouth1960 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 am

I tried the cobalt strings in 9's on a JS1000. It brightened the sound of the instrument up, which I did not like.

I had also read that the cobalt would wear your frets out quicker than regular strings, but that may not be true. Anyway, I removed them and went back to D'addario.

They (cobalt) did feel good, and they sounded good, but I just didn't like the way it changed the JS sound. I think if you would want to brighten the sound of a mahogany body guitar, they would be the ticket.

S/R

kyle am I

#3 Post by kyle am I » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:54 pm

srouth1960 wrote:I tried the cobalt strings in 9's on a JS1000. It brightened the sound of the instrument up, which I did not like.

I had also read that the cobalt would wear your frets out quicker than regular strings, but that may not be true. Anyway, I removed them and went back to D'addario.

They (cobalt) did feel good, and they sounded good, but I just didn't like the way it changed the JS sound. I think if you would want to brighten the sound of a mahogany body guitar, they would be the ticket.

S/R
how do you think it would sound with a basswood body and infinity pups? its already a very bright guitar, how do you think it would panm out?

SugarNips

#4 Post by SugarNips » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:29 pm

I've not tried cobalt strings, but I don't like bright sounding strings. I like the slightly darker sound of D'addario. The Dean Markley Blue Steel strings had a similar sound - but for me they were too much of an expensive gimmick. Ernie Ball strings are a bit too bright for my taste too. My opinions are based on using them on a basswood body.

EDIT: Sorry, I've not really answered your question. I was just agreeing with the point srouth1960 made.