What Pickups have you got in your guitar?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
metalus

What Pickups have you got in your guitar?

#1 Post by metalus » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:41 am

Have you replaced pickups in your guitar, what ones do you have, and what's your views on some pickups you've tried ovr the years etc?

Jeries

Re: What Pickups have you got in your guitar?

#2 Post by Jeries » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:04 am

I Currently Have/Use...

Dimarzio:
Evo2
Evolution (Bridge)
Evolution (Neck)
Evolution SC (middle)
Crunchlab7
Liquifier7
D-Activator (Bridge)
D-Activator (Neck)
Single Coil Area Set: Area 58N/67M/61B
Chopper
Cruiser
FastTrack2
PAFpro (Neck)
Fred (Bridge)

They are all the best
I love them all...
Evolutions and EVO2
and for single coils
nothing comes close to the area set 58 67 61-

The area set are probably the best sounding pickups i've ever heard- and i dont like strats/single coils

tommyd48

#3 Post by tommyd48 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Hey metalus ,just thought id share one thing with you , some years back I scored a Hamer California it the nicest electric axe I have,so it came with a semour ducan invader bridge and 2 semour single coils mid and neck,.the body of this guitar is solid mahogany ,its a neck through body,so with this set up mahogany being a rather hard timber I felt the invader being a very 80s harsh pick up had a very hard sound ,.great in metal bands and man it cut through the mix real well,.I was after a softer tone so I went for a Dimarzio PAF pro bridge and 2 new semour duncan pro strat single coils ,. this now gives that guitar a very dark softer tone with the paf and I love the way that when you grind your strings the paf sings real nice to me ,and the single coil semour pro strats are great for jazz ,.as when I did this I was playing in a original metal fusion band so lots of jazz, heavy rock and this set up was great for that,.
That axe is now being rewired ,its been that long since I put those pups in it,.though I still love the invader for what it good at ,That is one meaty powerful pup,..if your in to metal try it.
The guitar im using at the mo is a 600 dollar kramer ,.,.no Idea what the pups are but as Im playing it , and its actually nice to play ,.though they dont perfrom anything like the real deal,..

But just an after thought what ever the pups are in the kramer and I geuss they,d be cheapies I think they let me sweep pick rather nicely,.and for some reason my Hamer is a little reluctant in the sweeping area ,.so I play that one a little differently,.

Ceers Dude ,,,T

GYiakoumi

#4 Post by GYiakoumi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:00 am

DiMarzio LiquiFire™ 7
DiMarzio Crunch Lab™ 7

chook01

#5 Post by chook01 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:17 am

Fred in the bridge,stock in the neck,i was thinking about a liquifier for the neck for the fast picking thing and figured this would be a good choice, if anyone has any comments on this pickup for this type of thing i would like to hear them as i havn't really made up my mind yet so would like to know what others who have used them think.

Jeries

#6 Post by Jeries » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:57 am

chook01 wrote:Fred in the bridge,stock in the neck,i was thinking about a liquifier for the neck for the fast picking thing and figured this would be a good choice, if anyone has any comments on this pickup for this type of thing i would like to hear them as i havn't really made up my mind yet so would like to know what others who have used them think.
its a great neck pickup

I like the EVO bridge BUT- for petrucci like neck pickup sound the Liquifer might be better

bancika

#7 Post by bancika » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:49 am

Fred + Paf Pro in my homebrew guitar: awesome, awesome combination. Good balance of power vs clarity, Paf on sterioids tone, effortless harmonics, etc.

Crunch Lab + Evo single + Liquifire in the other RG2550: great combo if you're into Petrucci sound. Powerful, yet smooth sounding.

Paf 36th set in my homebrew mini Les Paul: great classic PAF. Can do pretty much anything. Cleans are nice and deep and can do even Metallica with a right amp.

Virtual Vintage Blues and two Kinmans in my squier strat: I'm not a strat guy, but these are very "stratty" and noiseless.