VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: coated strings
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:18 pm 

I was reading another thread and it was mentioned to not use coated strings and was wondering if anyone knows why this might have been suggested,i've never used coated strings myself but thought they actually sounded like a good idea but not having tried them cant really comment,are they crap strings or does the coating ruin the tone or damage the frets or something like that,any info would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: coated strings
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 am 

ok. Coated strings are strings with a special coating over them. This coating varies from brand to brand. After a long time of finding which brand works the best, I settled on Elixrs. Any other brand, like DR, with a lot of playing, the coating will come off as dust where you pick and where the frets are. It will get stuck in the pickups, trem, frets, its just disgusting. Then they look absolutley hideous (especially when they are different colors, which are available). Never get DR coated ones, or any other brand. Elixrs are hard to break, feel smooth every time (its an experience that still shocks me). The best part: you know how when you just put new strings on and they are so crisp and wonderful sounding? And then it wears off after around a half hour of playing? With the elixr coated strings, that crisp sound on the low strings stays for about a week and a half.

Coated strings are usually for people who want their sstrings to last way longer than regular uncoated strings. For me, I need tthem because I have acid hands. I'm Irish and German, and my fingers have a high amount of acidity. When I use regular strings, my fingers rust them in around five minutes. So I need coated strings. All the sweat and grime stays on the coating, and when i am done playing for a while, i just wipe them down with a cloth. Other people use them for
1 they come in cool colors (the Dr ones, which I do not reccomend, stay away from them)
2 they want long lasting tone and smooth strings that almost never rust (as long as you stay away from those drs lol)

Coated strings do not damage frets, the fingerboard, anything. The only thing is they cost more. But for long lasting tone and great feel they are worth the price.
chook01 wrote:
I was reading another thread and it was mentioned to not use coated strings and was wondering if anyone knows why this might have been suggested,i've never used coated strings myself but thought they actually sounded like a good idea but not having tried them cant really comment,are they crap strings or does the coating ruin the tone or damage the frets or something like that,any info would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:34 am 

thats exactly why i need them.when i put new strings on the day after they will start to oxidise or something and they start to go rusty unless i wipe down the strings and fretboard everytime time i play so i liked the idea of the elixirs,i didnt know there was any others but now youve told me to stay away from them i will and i think i'll give the elixirs a go,also i like the sound of ernie ball cobalts as well seeing as our pickups contain cobalt they might sound good but there not coated.thanks for replying,much appreciated

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:44 pm 

cool! You may still want to wipe down the strings as the grime will collect. It just keeps it from rusting the string. I usually wipe down after an hour or two of playing.
chook01 wrote:
thats exactly why i need them.when i put new strings on the day after they will start to oxidise or something and they start to go rusty unless i wipe down the strings and fretboard everytime time i play so i liked the idea of the elixirs,i didnt know there was any others but now youve told me to stay away from them i will and i think i'll give the elixirs a go,also i like the sound of ernie ball cobalts as well seeing as our pickups contain cobalt they might sound good but there not coated.thanks for replying,much appreciated

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:17 pm 

^^^
:peace

I've found that this little heigene for your guitar is where you can reflect on how far your playing has come. I don't necessarily wipe it down EVERY time I play, but take a moment or two to really appreciate the bond you've made with your axe, or ANY instrument that you play...[/deepness]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:47 pm 

i think coated strings suck

they quickly flake and leave bits of material and peel up across the entire string putting the strings in a worse condition than being rusty or not shiny...

i think it hinders tone after its flaked away a bit and is after a week makes it worse than if it was just dirty/rusty

this has nothing to do with cost/price/etc

just on playability and durability

when strings are dirty/rusty/soundbad/etc- change them

i NEVER wipe my strings down after i play... i never have (its pure lazyness- and i have never got much better result wiping them down)

i use finger ease once in a while- and recommend dunlop system 65 string cleaner...

i don't have much of a problem
and i change strings often

they're cheap... i change them...

maybe once in a while i'll put some sort of string cleaner and go across the strings one by one getting rid of dirt but at that point they need to be changed anyway

i think there's one reason i think i have the same results wiping down and not wiping down and better results than average...

Every month or two or ever 2 or so string changes...AND MOST IMPORANTLY- any time i get a new guitar or used guitar... before i touch it the first thing i do is...
get the dunlop 65 cleaning system
use the fretboard cleaner and conditioner...

i bet the dead skin and dirt caked to your fretboards is doing my harm than whatevers on your sweaty hands playing

ususally two applications of the cleaner is fine- and one or two of the conditioner...

i've bought some used guitars that need 3-4 applications of the cleaner and make a white t-shirt ENTIRELY BROWN after a cleaning...

my js1000 never had the fretboard cleaned in at least 4 yrs since it was purchased new by the guy i bought it from

i bought a bass for my gf...an ibanez soundgear (which we sold for a cheap beatlebass)

ever fret was covered in decades of dead skin/dirt/grime- horrible stuff

anyway
make your fretboard spotless- makes it cleaner/better/easier to play and looks healthy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:02 pm 

I play a lot. Elixrs do none of the things you mentioned. My acid hands hurt the string not the fretboard. I do get buildup from the grime on the fretboard (which is coated maple) and usually I wipe it down with a warm cloth. My frets need a polishing, which I will do when I go to home depot to get sandpaper for my neck and I will get steel wool to clean the frets. Strings only last me two weeks and then they break from the whammy abuse and bending. Coated strings I need or my strings rust in 5 minutes! Then I have rusted strings. They may not be practical for for the average Joe, but for someone who plays all day with acid hands, coated strings are the best thing since sliced bread.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:42 am 

hey Kyle,i've got elixirs on my RG now and they feel really good under my fingers,nice and smooth and you can slide into notes real easy and the tones pretty good as well,now i'll just wait to see how long they last compared to regular strings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:23 am 

cool!
chook01 wrote:
hey Kyle,i've got elixirs on my RG now and they feel really good under my fingers,nice and smooth and you can slide into notes real easy and the tones pretty good as well,now i'll just wait to see how long they last compared to regular strings.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:39 am 

Jeries wrote:
i think coated strings suck. they quickly flake and leave bits of material and peel up across the entire string putting the strings in a worse condition than being rusty or not shiny...
The original ones did but the later version didn't suffer from this problem-nanoweb I think it was called.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:55 pm 

hey chook, how did they work out for you?
chook01 wrote: