VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 pm 

found one in a guitar store for 550 bucks, used, 100 watts, combo, two channels, unsure of the tubes. real quick, i know a legacy is a legacy and a 6505 is a 6505, but any similarities and differences? i know its more metal, which i like, but how does metal work with the vai "products", like the bad horsie, jemini, and most importantly, guitar with evo pups? i have yet to try it out, just saw it and almost want to buy if for i am CRAVING tube distortion. is it harsh, or softer and responsive? I ultimatley will decide for myself about the sound, but i want some opinions before i try it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:08 am 

I had a 5150 combo- and i currently own a 5150

The 5150 combo was broken- i paid $200, and all it needed was $40 in tubes and $1 for a fuse from radio shack...

The 5150 head i paid $200 for- it is also broken, and getting fixed- should be 60-100 at most to fix. I WILL NOT KEEP IT WHEN ITS DONE I AM GOING TO SELL IT... after i bought it i realized it was already modded/hackedup/unmodded/remodded poorly so i do not want to keep it...

I did NOT LIKE the 5150 combo (which is identical to the 6505) i thought the speakers sounded GOD AWFUL
although i never plugged it into any cabs to see if i liked it.

The head sounded ok- it really has no clean channel-

I really want to get a 1x12 6505+ combo (i wanted to get one for around 300- thye're made in china so if i find one for 3 i'll get it)

ALSO the 5150 combo is NOT 100 watts- its 60 watts
also it only has 2 power tubes so changing the tubes is only $40

a legacy is much more smooth and squashed the 5150 is more harsh
it's a knock off of a Soldano SLO100
If you get it modded/have a CHOKE added the 5150 will be almost identical to the SLO

for $400-450 you can find a used legacy head
i've seen legacy combos for 500- so a 5150 for 550 doesn't sound good

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:35 am 

kyle am I wrote:
found one in a guitar store for 550 bucks, used, 100 watts, combo, two channels, unsure of the tubes. real quick, i know a legacy is a legacy and a 6505 is a 6505, but any similarities and differences? i know its more metal, which i like, but how does metal work with the vai "products", like the bad horsie, jemini, and most importantly, guitar with evo pups? i have yet to try it out, just saw it and almost want to buy if for i am CRAVING tube distortion. is it harsh, or softer and responsive? I ultimatley will decide for myself about the sound, but i want some opinions before i try it.

Id just like to mention that each time ive pluged into a peavey Ive loved it ,.they generally have a nice fast sound ,.easy to play fast with and smooth,.
I guess you should take what you have to plug in to it and try it out in the store,.then you will know .
Trust in your fingers and ears ,.you will know weather its for you or not

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:33 pm 

i tried it extensivley and HATED it. sounded so brittle and nasty. NEVER is a tube amp worth that much god awefulness. ill wait for a legacy... its not a maybe anymore, it is a NOT.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:33 pm 

it's the speakers in the 5150 that suck

legacy combo is about the same price, has v30s and much better...

you could upgrade the speakers in the 5150 to v30s but its not worth it

look at it like this... first the 5150 is a knockoff of an SLO100 which is a very different sounding distortion (then on the other hand a Dual Rectifier in some ways rips of an slo also)

anyway---
EVH used in the 80s/90s really shitty guitars the FRANKENSTEIN was $180 worth of guitar parts (and now costs $25000 to have a replica of a $180 guitar)

i think EVH's amps compensate in many ways for a lower end guitar...
the frankenstein is really harsh/shrill not really full sounding- and i think all his amps really compensated that he was plugging a crappy guitar into them instead of a nice PRS or Les Paul

but either way EVH is EVH and he'll sound good with anything

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:46 am 

i just hated every aspect of the tone. not worth buying imo