VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:27 am 

for anyone interested i thought i would post a review/thoughts of the following amps,the legacy 1,legacy 3 and the bogner ecstacy.
many people say they prefer the(steves) xtc tone over the legacys so now having owned and played all 3 amps i thought i now would be a good time to do a write up.
the legacy 1 heads have been my main amp/s for over 2 years,a very simple design with 2 channels.the clean sound is fantastic.the overdrive channel is not to everyones taste,especially at low "bedroom" volumes where it can sound a bit grainy/nasal/scratchy.but turn the amp up a bit and play in a band and to my ears one of the best lead tones i have ever heard,the sound sits perfect in the mix and imo is almost perfection,imo always felt the bottom end should be tighter and fatter with less boom.
for rhythm playing it could sound a bit boomy in the bass but i always found that backing off the volume knob on the guitar(i use a treble bleed cap on the volume pot)worked wonders to clear the sound up.i used carvin 2x12 and 4x12 cabs with either greenbacks or v30`s and all sounded great.downsides are the immense volume from the lead channel but for the money i would say a truly great sounding amp.
when i heard the legacy 3 was coming out with the same 2 channels as the legacy 1 plus a load of extra features including midi/master volume/boost and a 3rd channel i just had to buy one.
having worked on my legacy 1`s i knew the circuitry well so checked that everything was indeed the same component wise,apart from 1 plate resistor on v3 changing from 150k to 220k everything was indeed the same as the L1,however extra circuitry has been added to the preamp stage and the master volume and this to me has changed the tone of the amp for the worse.although you can still hear the basic legacy tone to me the amp especially with the master turned down does not sound that good,it has a harshness to the sound which to me could be better.
playing the amp though is a dream,every note is right there under your fingers with great touch and clarity
the features on the amp imo are brilliant,the small size/rackmountable and midi are a real bonus.
so i bought a bogner 101b to see how it shaped up tonally against the legacys.
the 101b is a 3 channel el34 100w head with loads of tone shaping features,generally speaking channel 1 is like a fender,2 like a plexi,and 3 like a high gain jcm 800/soldano type sound.
tonally the bogner was better than the carvins with channel 3 being closest to the legacy lead sound and i would say that the carvin will get you 90% of the sound/quality of the bogner however the touch/clarity and punch of the legacy was missing from the bogner,it has a lazy feel to it with a slow responce that makes it feel a little hard work to play which is great if you are more of a dig in type player,the legacy however responds to every nuance(good or bad).
so which one`s best?
well,if you are after a legacy i would go with the L1,add the ppimv(master volume mod)(its simple and cheap to do)and use a dist/overdrive pedal.
if a high quality sound is not so important yet the features are,the L3 is best.
if the bogner had the touch/responce of the legacy`s it would be a winner from a sound quality point of view but after playing the bogner for a while and then going into the L3 the L3 was just more fun to play but not so nice on the ear!price wise the L1 also wins. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:44 am 

I have to say, if fire garden was made with a bogner, I like that tone better than the legacy. So much thicker and creamy, I like its tone better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:44 pm 

Steve's never put just one amp on any record.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:19 am 

Having owned all 3 Variants of the Legacy I tend to agree with Paul on this. :peace
Just about to do the PPIMV mod on my newly acquired 2nd Legacy 1 & most likely move the L3 to ebay as I still prefer the Legacy1. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:28 am 

what's the PPIMV mod?
bucketbot wrote:
Having owned all 3 Variants of the Legacy I tend to agree with Paul on this. :peace
Just about to do the PPIMV mod on my newly acquired 2nd Legacy 1 & most likely move the L3 to ebay as I still prefer the Legacy1. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 am 

ppimvm =post phase inverter master volume mod.

(have you just joined the carvin forum klye?)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:01 am 

ha funny you ask that. After I saw the pp whatever, I went on the Carvin forum and signed up lol :)
paulh123 wrote:
ppimvm =post phase inverter master volume mod.

(have you just joined the carvin forum klye?)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:20 am 

yes,i saw your name listed as newest member :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:52 am 

oh lol :) cool. Unfortunatley, I don't think I will be much contribution though since I only took one class so far on electronics so I wont be doing any kind of mods to Legacies lol
paulh123 wrote:
yes,i saw your name listed as newest member :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:59 am 

I have a thing I make one username and keep it for all the forums or I would forget if I made a different username for each

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:52 pm 
Newcomer

Has anyone done the Ben fargen mods to the legacy 1?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:03 pm 

are you referring to the L2? does anyone know what they are?
the L2 schematic is not available.