VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Carvin Finally Did It
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:30 pm 

looks like Carvin took off the Legacy 2 FROM Their website. Why on earth would they do that? What if everybody hates the legacy 3, there would be no more legacies to choose from. Some of you didn't like the legacy 2, but still, I think it was a bad move on carvins' part.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:19 pm 

its probably a smart business move

they weren't popular- obviously didn't sell one, and no demand

I played on at the carvin store in hollywood- wasn't impressed.... thought the additional clean boost channel was stupid

I think it's also very smart carvin has kept production of the orig legacy- smart move- it hought they were discontinued when the II came out so its good to see they're still made

speaking of which- i don't see the Legacy I on the website anymore either...

I think the Legacy 3 is cool because it can be rack mounted

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:00 am 

It has been known for a couple of months. Since Steve's video demo of the new Legacy was posted on youtube three months ago, Carvin replied to a few comments to the video:

"Legacy I and II are discontinued. We are limited to stock on hand. So this IS his amp from now on. We are building amps in time for his G3 tour in March."

"Legacy 1 has been discontinued for a number of months. We can't make them anymore as there are specific parts no longer stocked. It's Legacy 3 from here on out. Steve has a couple of Legacy 1's that I'm sure he'll keep at home."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTuTq4gqZC0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:17 am 

that sucks. If they put any amp with the name Steve vai on it, it should always be the legacy I. They ran out of parts? That just damn ducks.
Samuele wrote:
It has been known for a couple of months. Since Steve's video demo of the new Legacy was posted on youtube three months ago, Carvin replied to a few comments to the video:

"Legacy I and II are discontinued. We are limited to stock on hand. So this IS his amp from now on. We are building amps in time for his G3 tour in March."

"Legacy 1 has been discontinued for a number of months. We can't make them anymore as there are specific parts no longer stocked. It's Legacy 3 from here on out. Steve has a couple of Legacy 1's that I'm sure he'll keep at home."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTuTq4gqZC0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:19 am 

forgive me if their is an obvious answer, but why don't they fricken stock more parts?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:18 am 

The demand probably isnt there for those models. So they cant justify the cost of stocking parts for amps that dont sell as well. Plus they would rather promote the new version of the amps instead of splitting sales between two different amps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:50 am 

Legacy 1 and Legacy 3 have the same exact circuit for channel 1/2 from what I understand from the postings on carvins form. So if it is due to parts, its probably chasis/external related?? Carvins eBay username still has some of these for sell better get em why you can!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:48 pm 
Banned

I agree with jeries on this one it is a business move so do they make legacy 3 more expensive or legacy 1 cheaper ,..well Im shure carvin would want to keep the price on legacy 3 down as these amps sell on price and the fact that Mr Vai is endorsed by them so legacy 1 would have to be cheaper if they were going to keep it ,..so I would sumise that it would cost carvin too much to make legacy 1 and drop the price as it is now an old model and been superseeded be the legacy 3,
Its all about gross profit,. so now its not cost efficient to keep making legacy 1 as there wouldnt be as much profit in the project ,..see these guys are all about making Money Money Money not spending it to keep an old model Amp on the production line
Hope this makes sense 8)
cheers aaron

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:16 am 

they've been making legacy 1's a long time

there's a ton out there
and are easily found used

they're not selling many new ones because people are picking them up used for $400-500

I saw one on craigslist sell for $300

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:51 am 

I absolutely love my Legacy 1, wouldn't change it for the world. Just can't see an advantage in getting the Legacy II or III as I don't gig.

Parts are harder to come by than you might think. You should read some of the blogs/interviews by Blues Saraceno's dad, Alex, who built the original Dirty Boy amp, which is now in production by the guys at Mojave. It certainly opened my mind as to how intricate and expensive it is to build a proper amp....and not some run-of-the-mill model.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:27 pm 

It's pretty common. I'm surprised that they ever kept the I in production. The point is to make the amp Vai uses. If he used the II, there was no reason to keep making the original. Now there's no reason to keep the II.