VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How does Steve do it?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:42 pm 

I've been watching Steve forever. I've noticed whether its live or studio, there is literally no feedback or buzz from distortion. Like when you have your volume down on your guitar, but you still here some distortion through your amp. I feel like Steve doesn't have that! How does he do this?!?!?!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:05 pm 

I think there's a few things worth mentioning a few normal/not special things and one last very profound thing...

1- In recording/in the studio there's tons of compression/limiters/noisegates/etc-so the typical WOOSH of an amp just being on isn't there and at times that stuff is/can be edited out so you don't hear it on recordings

2- Live he does have a little bit of it- not much but there's likely some front of house gates/noise suppressors being used on the mics

3- Vai plays pretty loud on stage to get his tone so his amps are fairly loud and at times do have a little noise

4- He uses good shit. TC electronic g force/g system/etc- he uses good/high quality stuff

5- With the Axe Fx- it has a noise gate that can be dialed in

6- Overall i'd say the ambiance of an audience/the venue/etc washes away any of the noise you'll hear from the amp

7- he stands far away from the amp- if he was super close it would prob squeel or the speaker magnets would be humming through the pickups into the amp

8- Don't use recordings for examples- recordings aren't real world- Take a world famous trumpet player or sax player- they have to breath to play the instruments but soem players remove all the breaths from their recordings and you never hear that stuff

NOW FOR THE MOST PROFOUND THING EVER SAID... AND THE BEST THING I CAN SAY OR EXPLAIN TO YOU IN ALL OF THIS

Vai's tone- is not as distorted as most think it is.
People maybe crank the gain/distortion/saturation to sound like him on their own- but you'd be shocked how mild and not crazy distorted Vai's lead tone is... that's what makes him such a great player- with minimal gain/distortion he has a HUGE sound and such great/full tone it requires all of us to blast the hell out of our gain knob- does that make sense?

So that helps cleanlyness too- his sound isn't as distorted as most thing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:52 am 

sometimes he does have hum. If you watch the youtibe video of andy secretly videotape Steve (but gets caught) you notice he has a fair amount of hum. This may be due to the camera interference, like when you get a text message and a ditting humming sound goes through the amp. I would say that overall Steve is just a clean player too.