VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:06 am 

What are some of the most vital parts to your guitar or bass rig? Yes, we all know the guitar is the most important part, but what are some contributing factors that are vital to your sound as musicians? Name amps, pedals, pedalboards, picks, cables, whatever. Anything you can truly swear by.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:13 am 

For me it is an Ibanez guitar, dimarzio evo 2 in bridge, infinity single coil, a fernandes sustainer 401, with dimarzio lime green cliplocks (and gaffer tape for the pickup lip. On the floor: dimarzio cables, ibanez JEMINI distortion, crybaby 95q wah, MIJ boss df2, boss metal zone, boss looper Rc 20 Xl. Along with some analog reverberate, it heads into a peavey vypyr (for now)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:31 pm 

MXR Wylde Overdrive - It's so damn transparent!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:31 pm 
Banned

my 1980 hamer califronia,.. dimarzio paf pro bridge [I took the seymor duncan super distortion out] and mid and neck I have seymor duncan pro strat single coils for live into a marshall head and cab,.. I have many effect units to choose from if I want mostly boss ,..bar a digitech wammy wha pedal that I love mainly for the deep n dark wha
I have had dunlop whas but they allways tend to give out on me so I dont get them any more .

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:24 pm 

Mesa Boogie Mark V

EH MicroPOG

If I'm playing through a different amp:
MXR Classic Overdrive
MXR Distortion+
EH LPB-1 boost pedal

Jazz III style picks. Can't use regular sized ones anymore.
Planet Waves circuit breaker cables.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:49 pm 

DiMarzio Clip Lock Straps

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:02 am 

Monster Cables :peace

On the other hand, a piece of equipment that makes me swear is my damn Marshall half stack. Friggen mid range knob crackles when I adjust it....

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:31 pm 
Banned

nothing quite like a crackling knob ,.try putting some cream on it,.. 8)

naa seriouly I never have the perfect sound there is allways something in my sounds im not happy with a crackling nob or an annoying glitch in my recording gear ,...
:guitar

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:50 am 

I have a blue bucket,it came with pizza's in it and after i'd finished the pizza's i thought that would be great to chuck all my stuff in,so i got guitars,amps and my blue bucket of stuff.I've had it for years and it has never failed me,if i lost it i would probably have to try a milk crate though the specialness wouldn't be there.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:42 am 

chook01 wrote:
I have a blue bucket,it came with pizza's in it and after i'd finished the pizza's i thought that would be great to chuck all my stuff in,so i got guitars,amps and my blue bucket of stuff.I've had it for years and it has never failed me,if i lost it i would probably have to try a milk crate though the specialness wouldn't be there.

^^^???

Where the fuck did that come from?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:43 am 

maybe the stuff he keeps his gear in?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:07 pm 

yeah it is,i bought a chunk of board that is the wood they use to make kitchen benchtops from because its waterproof and stands up to beer spillages etc and screw mounted my pedals to that which were wah - distortion - chorus into the front of the amp(no effects loop,old skool marshall)and all the rest went into the bucket,anything you can think of,cables,picks,spare strings,straps,tuner etc.it was a fundraising drive for something cant remember what but you bought x amount of pizza's and they came delivered in this blue rectangle shaped bucket, it even had an ice pack under the lid,had a handle and all so i ditched the lid,kept the ice pack at home and used the bucket for carting gear around at gigs,its just the right size and when your not playing it can double as a guitar stand,the bottom of the guitar fits just nicely in the top and then the guitar just rests against the amp.If i had to say one thing to swear by equipment wise it would probably have to be Boss pedals,their compact and can take abuse,i've had my HM-2 for more years than i can remember and its been thrashed, stomped to death had drinks spilled on it,you name it and it just keeps going so my gear to swear by is my trusty blue bucket and Boss pedals.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:10 pm 

OK. Thank You for clarifying. I got...confused... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:54 pm 

boss hi gain distortion is generally muddy and not hi gain at all. For someone who likes mesa gain without a mesa, boss simply does not deliver. But on the other hand, their overdrive boost pedals work great. They are also good for modeling, ive used both the gt 10 and 100. Great stuff, just not their distortions. This is just coming from my very very VERY hi gain taste.
chook01 wrote:
yeah it is,i bought a chunk of board that is the wood they use to make kitchen benchtops from because its waterproof and stands up to beer spillages etc and screw mounted my pedals to that which were wah - distortion - chorus into the front of the amp(no effects loop,old skool marshall)and all the rest went into the bucket,anything you can think of,cables,picks,spare strings,straps,tuner etc.it was a fundraising drive for something cant remember what but you bought x amount of pizza's and they came delivered in this blue rectangle shaped bucket, it even had an ice pack under the lid,had a handle and all so i ditched the lid,kept the ice pack at home and used the bucket for carting gear around at gigs,its just the right size and when your not playing it can double as a guitar stand,the bottom of the guitar fits just nicely in the top and then the guitar just rests against the amp.If i had to say one thing to swear by equipment wise it would probably have to be Boss pedals,their compact and can take abuse,i've had my HM-2 for more years than i can remember and its been thrashed, stomped to death had drinks spilled on it,you name it and it just keeps going so my gear to swear by is my trusty blue bucket and Boss pedals.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:59 pm 

bit their quality is AMAZING. So superb, it deserves a medal. One time I left a vintage df2 in my backyard after playing it. I don't use it often, so when I left it out there, it wasn't until 6 months I remembered it was there. I went out, finding a wet, snowed on, rained on, and completley rusted bottom half. I put on some rubber gloves, plugged it into a ac adaptor, Nd it worked better than I remember it before. The only thing is the rusted bottom. Its ok, it was a gift ;)