VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Locking Tuners
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:33 am 

I have a Reverend guitar that came with locking tuners on it. I absolutely love them and what locking tuners on my strat and tele now, too. The only problem is that Reverend has their own brand of locking tuners so I can't get the exact same kind. I'm wondering if you guys have a preference for locking tuners and if you could recommend me a good one.

Also, my Reverend has a graphite nut. Do you think switching out the regular (probably plastic) nuts on my other guitars will improve tuning stability and keep strings from sticking and going wildly out of tune during whammy bar use?

Post subject: Re: Best Locking Tuners
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:36 am 

I dislike locking tuners
and prefer a double locking trem

I'd say you'd be worse off with plastic than with graphite

and there are limitations on guitars without a floyd like a Strat-

If you're going to go whammy crazy you're going to go crazyoutoftune- unless you have a locking trem- locking tuners only lock it one way (and not particularly well compared to a locking nut)

there's still plenty of room to slip at the bridge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:41 am 

Right. But the truth is, I rarely even screw in my whammy bar. I just pull up on it every now and then or give a little extra vibrato to notes and chords. I don't like all the fuss of a locking trem but have really loved everything about the tuners on my Reverend. The Reverend is a fixed bridge guitar and so is my telecaster, so I'm sure I'll get the same benefits between the two guitars. Since my don't do much with my whammy bar on my strat I think the locking tuners will serve me well there, too. Could you recommend a brand?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:33 pm 

For non locking nut guitars, my favorite locking tuner is the schaller locking tuners that you push the string through the top when your done. Can't give you a model or anything tho. Take a trip to their sight to see all they offer.

As far as the nut goes, I would recommend replacing a plastic nut, but in the mean time, you can get by with taking pencil lead to the inside of it where the strings lie on it. This is graphite, and will smooth it out when the string moves back n forth, also big bends nut sauce can be a huge help. Cheaper then having a new nut installed, (unless you do it yourself) and deffinately a pencil is cheaper then you will ever spend in your life :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:30 pm 

The graphite trick is a good one. I use it on my classical guitar from time to time.