New amp and OD question

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
chrose1201

New amp and OD question

#1 Post by chrose1201 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:57 am

Hi all, I have finally returned to the living and gotten my first tube amp in almost 20 years (I had reasons.... :( ) Anyway I got a Carvin V3M and even though it has 2 OD channels I am having a semi hard time dialing in a nice semi-clean singing sustain. I have been told that the OD channels should be all I need, but I notice that even little Stevie Vai uses overdrive/distortion pedals as do many others.
Does anyone have any comments on the use of these kinds of pedals to get a nice long singing note(s).

Thanks! :guitar

Jeries

Re: New amp and OD question

#2 Post by Jeries » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:44 am

before i replied i listened to some samples of that amps distortion

I think the two best would be a simple Ibanez Tube Screamer, or a Boss Blues Driver

I don't feel much high end of the amp- the blues driver will boost the highs a bit more and make it sparkle- i think the amp needs sparkle

the tubescreamer won't do you bad either.

I think a boss ds-1 stock or modded would sound worse....

Pape

#3 Post by Pape » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:27 pm

I don't have that specific amp, but I would head over to the Carvin forums. They are a great group of helpful people, who think highly of that amp. I would ask them. They would know for sure down to tubes you can replace to get specific sounds pulled out of it. Worth a shot at least.

On that note, I would second the Tube Screamer into the front end. Would work mighty fine IMO

kyle am I

#4 Post by kyle am I » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:06 pm

the v3 s are very dark amps. They have screaming highs but they mute a lot. Could this be the issue? I think the v3m is great for practice, but having a full half stack with higher output and obviously more balls may also be a contributing factor. Or, it could be a lemon, in which case you should have it checked out. If your sure that the amp is stock and undamaged, and you check your tubes. I know a friend who had a problem with the tubes on his v3m being screwed up. If you're sure this is not the case, and you just bought the amp, and you caret switching to a half stack anytime soon, plug in and try a tubescreamer or analog distortion. The ds-1 works fine Imo, but depending on your style of music, your tone may contridict the ds-1.

DomitianX

#5 Post by DomitianX » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:21 am

I use a Super Over Drive with both a V3M and a Legacy. It adds just a touch of gain if I keep the drive about 8:30 or 9:00, but it adds a crap ton of sustain to both amps. Every one that plays my rig comments about how it well it sustains. The DS-1 makes the bottom end get mushy unless you have the amp cranked and really get the power tube distortion going.

I used a Tube Screamer for a while too, but it added that mid bump that the TS is famous for and i didnt like the way it colored the amp. The Super Overdrive so far has been a great little pedal for getting just a hair more out of the Legacy and V3 for me.

02T

#6 Post by 02T » Wed May 09, 2012 7:44 pm

I've never been happy with the Tube Screamer sound. I've had great success with the MXR Classic Overdrive. (I think it was a Guitar Center exclusive.)