VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Legacy III
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:24 am 

So what do you think about it? More gain so no need for silly, tone-sapping solid state distortion, and a really clear bell-like clean channel and the master volume is a great idea too, keeping things sounding the same but at a lower volume, plus its really small and dinky and weights 15kg (30lbs). Its perfect!

My only reservations are the well known poor reliability issues with Carvin amp, and the fact you have to deal with them directly meaning all the hassle of couriers etc to get things sorted. Plus, how much is it and the cab?

Post subject: Re: Legacy III
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:44 am 

I think its fantastic! That clean channel is so.....pristine! The head is listed at $899, Head and 2x12 Vertical Cab - $1329, and Head w/ 4x12 is $1479 if I remember correctly. Not bad at all and cheaper then the Legacy 2. I still want to know how it gets its same tone at low volume with a master volume, if there is no power amp overdrive happening at low volumes. I'm assuming Steve uses mostly Pre-amp gain for his sound?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 am 

Usually people outside the US can go to authorized dealers.

http://www.carvinworld.com/country_dealers.php

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 am 

Yes indeed, I rang a dealer in Birmingham. The head is £1100 and the cab (2X12) is £550. The green colour is an extra £27, and as a deal plus courier delivery and green head they'll do it for £1595 I think.

I can feel a purchase coming on....must...stop....my....self.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:03 pm 

Well from the demo on YouTube that Steve did, it sounds pretty good! I have a mesa boogie dual rec and ive been looking for a smoother sounding distortion! This might be it! Price wise I think I saw it at $1,300 or $1,500 at Carvin's website! Pretty good deal for what I've paid for amp heads! :peace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:04 pm 

Carvin has poor reliability? :) I'm playing a very early 90s (or late 80s) x100b and a mid-90s vm100 .. really can't say i've had any issues with 'em, and /I've/ had 'em for 6 and 10 years, respectively. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:30 am 

There were lots of issues about the Legacy and quite a few posts on this message boards about Legacys not functioning very well-it was the main factor that put me off buying one. Even the dealer I'm considering buying the Legacy 3 from said that was the case but went on to say they had solved these issues. From what I read, it seems there were plenty of 'Friday afternoon' made Carvins!

So the Legacy 3 is about £900 in the USA and £1500 in the UK? Well that solves that one, I'll keep my money! Rip off!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:58 am 

Yeesh 1500?! That does seem quite steep, thats almost $2200 US right? That'ts more than double! I know shipping and distributer fees aren't that high! But even then I would probably still buy, the amp sounded amazing! Although I wonder how much his axe-fx attributed to the sound. He should have made a clip with it dry, no effects. Makes me question things :|

On that note, I do remember a huge reliability issue when the Legacy 1 first came out, seems they got it fixed after around 4-5 months as I recall, then it got tons of amazing reviews. Never heard a complaint on the rest of their line (x100b,, V16, V3, ect)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:56 pm 

Remember, companies pay export tax and all kinds of extra stuff when they sell outside the country. They need to figure that in the cost of the product. Your best bet is to find someone in the USA to buy it and ship it to you.

Also, I have had zero problems with my Legacy. Great amp. I gig with it several times a month at shitty bars around the midwest, play it 3 to 4 hours just about every day. I've never had an issue in the 5+ years I have owned it. I will be buying the III soon as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:05 pm 

Plus, you are buying it from a dealer so they add their 30 to 50% (on average) mark up to the cost. Us folks in the US are buying it direct, there is no dealer markup.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:52 pm 

My second hand legacy is the mutt's nuts. Sounds amazing!

Can't really see any advantage at all in going for the Legacy III. I think the extra gain channel sounds okay, but not as good as a modded DS-1. Plus it looks small and dinky. No amp should look small and dinky.

'Oh look at your new amp....it's so cute!'

No thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:00 pm 

Ha! no need to look at my new cute amp, It's fully rack mountable and out of sight :). From what I understand its the same exact circuit as Legacy 1 for the first and second channel. So unless the MIDI controllable, Master Volume and 3rd "More Gain" Channel (same as channel 2 with extra gain stage) is needed, you may be better off with a second hand Legacy.

I will be buying it here in a few weeks. I think it starts shipping the first week of march.

And I didn't consider dealer markup. But at $200 less than triple the actual cost of it, I would buy from someone in the US and pay for shipping. Save you a thousand bucks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:49 am 

Bryceybhoy wrote:
Can't really see any advantage at all in going for the Legacy III.
Again from what I read about the Legacy 1 here and elsewhere, the issue was its a really loud amp. So they III's master control, as explained by Steve, will solve a lots of bedroom practise and small gig issues.

Once you've hurt your back, a small cute amp is de rigueur! I even think the 2X12 cab is a much better option since I've given up playing stadia...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:32 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Bryceybhoy wrote:
Can't really see any advantage at all in going for the Legacy III.
Again from what I read about the Legacy 1 here and elsewhere, the issue was its a really loud amp. So they III's master control, as explained by Steve, will solve a lots of bedroom practise and small gig issues.

Once you've hurt your back, a small cute amp is de rigueur! I even think the 2X12 cab is a much better option since I've given up playing stadia...

Yes, it's loud. But I'm rich and so bought an expensive attenuator......which does not, I repeat, does not dampen the sound.

I don't stadiums anymore either, especially since I went solo. I play in front of my cat. That's about it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:32 am 

Just remind us which attenuator you use, Bryceybhoy.