After market strat pickup

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
sap

After market strat pickup

#1 Post by sap » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:19 pm

What do y'all think the best aftermarket strat pickup is ?

Pape

Re: After market strat pickup

#2 Post by Pape » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 am

I personally like Dimarzio True Velvet - Great sounding across the whole fretboard. They can get a little shrill at times in the bridge position if your not careful with eqing. Although a few of my friends all swear by Lindy Fralin - Vintage Hot and The split ones (these have no hum) they say they can't tell a difference in sound, but I can. I like the Vintage Hot of those 2, but I still like my true velvets better --- For what its worth I'm a Dimarzio fan boy so may be playing favorites, but when I close my eyes, I still prefer the True Velvets.

Samuele

#3 Post by Samuele » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:23 am

Everyone obviously has their favorites, and in general I tend to like strat pickups that sound fatter than a traditional single coil. I think Andy Timmons has a DiMarzio Cruiser in his main guitar, Greg Howe a Fast Track 1, Joe Satriani and Ron Thal the Chopper, Paul Gilbert has the Injectors. Actually, Paul used the Area 67 too for a while, which have a more traditional strat sound. I like all these.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/strat?view=grid

Jeries

#4 Post by Jeries » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:19 pm

Samuele wrote:Everyone obviously has their favorites, and in general I tend to like strat pickups that sound fatter than a traditional single coil. I think Andy Timmons has a DiMarzio Cruiser in his main guitar, Greg Howe a Fast Track 1, Joe Satriani and Ron Thal the Chopper, Paul Gilbert has the Injectors. Actually, Paul used the Area 67 too for a while, which have a more traditional strat sound. I like all these.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/strat?view=grid
My strat has a Cruiser/Fasttrack/Chopper
so you can have all 3 if you want...

I have a new strat I'm going to be putting dimarzio ins- i'm thinking of going more 'strat' Dimarzio's than hum cancelling Dimarzio's

sap

#5 Post by sap » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:58 pm

I have a '96 mexican strat. I can't get a new strat right now so I thought I would upgrade the one I have.
Btw, what pickups come with a stock mexi strat?

Jeries

#6 Post by Jeries » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:45 pm

sap wrote:I have a '96 mexican strat. I can't get a new strat right now so I thought I would upgrade the one I have.
Btw, what pickups come with a stock mexi strat?
garbage

Fender puts shit pickups in their $1200 American Strats