VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:50 pm 

What pedals did steve use on where the wild things are for building the church. Was he using an eventide ultra harmonizer? He has a that rich creamy sound that sounds like rubbing fingers on a new set of strings. It's amazing. I MUST HAVE IT, except I am not spend five grand on a harmonizer...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:38 pm 

A TC Electronic G System can do everything a Eventide can do ($1000)

A TC Elec G Major 2 can do almost everything the Evetide can do ($350)

A TC Elec G major 1 can do most of it all

A TC Elec G-Force can do it all and maybe more... they were 1699, but used they go for $600 or less sometimes...

I would say the G Major had more of an impact of his tone than the Eventide Harmonizer. The model eventide makes today is useless to a guitar player (and $7000) it's capable of working on 8 separate tracks at a time- so really the H3000/whatever is more useful as a studio effects processor than a have in your guitar rig at all times kind of thing....

he also does it with his NECK PICKUP on, I think that guitar has BREED pickups which is more mellow/rich/creamy in my opinion compared to an EVOLUTION (EVO2 isn't an option because it's not made in a neck pickup)

If i had a G System in front of me- i would mimic the sound with a slight detune effect (thats one of the coolest thing the G System has) and there is wah throughout the song...

There's also a lot of keyboards in the song...

also sounds (if not detune) then a slight chorus not present in other songs...

Although the guitar has a sustainer system so the neck pickup is a sustainer driver... which isn't a bad sounding pickup on its own...
HOWEVER, if the sustainer is ON, even if the pickup is set to neck, the bridge is on...

however... he switches the switch during the song- so my guess is the sustainer is off and neck pickup is on...

Carvin amps have a very creamy distortion compared to others too...
Vai's tone on this song is a little different, agressive yet smoother than most songs

but regardless of all the amps/effects in the world... tone is in the fingers...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:53 am 

as a tc g system user/owner i have to disagree that the g can do all an eventide can do.even when steve used the g system there was still a harmonizer in his rack.
the axe fx i believe can do all the eventide harmonizer sounds.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:05 pm 

I owned a G-System for a year+
I also have an Axe Fx Ultra

I almost bought a H3000 for $500 once- but i didn't

Don't let the name HARMONIZER fool you... it isn't what it's name is a harmonizer/pitch shifter... it is an entire multi fx processor...

it has good revebs/delays but the TC stuff has all that and it's super tweakable

...the Eventide h3000 is really outdated/ancient too... TC and a bunch of others have really caught up...

For example- the G-Force ($1699) and G Major 2($500 or less) aren't that far apart in quality and ability- (Gforce has an intelligent pitch shifter (like the gsystem has) which is pretty much the only difference between the GM2 and Gforce- I've owned 2 g-forces)

technology caught up with the effects units and made a great unit/better quality cheaper and more affordable... but still top of the line quality.

i would say anything that comes out of the h3000 the gsystem can do if not do it better...
i also don't know if they were ever used at the same time- perhaps the h3000 was just a backup for reverb/delays if something happened to the Gsystem.

If you take effects for effects- and take preamp/amp/cabs out...
I think the Gsystem has better fx than the Axe- in some ways
the Gsystem is more studio quality... while the Axe is more guitar processing.

there are a few things the Axe has that the G-System doesn't- but for what the Gsystem was made for and what it does- it's perfect.

ps- make sure you're using balanced cables/hum elminators to switch between TS/TRS cables and the balanced ins/outs of the g-system... makes a big difference.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:48 pm 

somewhere on this site there is a link giving details of songs and equipment used on certain albums.
on building the church it lists;
roland gr33 synth controller with a jem77fp(tapping/intro section)
bad horsie guitar through a legacy,(ryhthm guitar)strat into a sansamp psa-1.
evo through a legacy(lead guitar)
it also mentions a lot of eq`ing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:26 am 

when he does that effect at 4:25, how is he doing that? there is his guitar and then one doubled one raised behind it. then he uses the whammy to move it the frequency. how is he getting that doubled raised guitar?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv5UUEHfOXU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:13 pm 

sounds like a delay pedal and a whammy pedal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:27 pm 

Jeries wrote:
sounds like a delay pedal and a whammy pedal

yeah i guess. i did intense searching and i couldnt find anything out. thats probably it