Nova System and Boss DS-1

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Bryceybhoy

Nova System and Boss DS-1

#1 Post by Bryceybhoy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:57 am

Need a little help. I love my DS-1 through the legacy but need some more effects, such as good delay, reverb etc. I like the sound of the Nova System and I tend to put all my effects in front of the amp. I'm not very good with set-up etc and not knowledgable at all when it comes to amp configuration....

So, help is needed...

Can I put the Nova System in front of the amp and still use the DS-1 as my distortion pedal whilst also using the Nova for delay and other effects?

Hope anyone can help me on this happy Friday. :guitar

paulh123

Re: Nova System and Boss DS-1

#2 Post by paulh123 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:08 am

theres no reason why you cannot do what you suggest but delay/reverb/flanger etc type effects always sound better in the fx loop of your amp.
i looked at the nova system to go with my legacy but settled on the g system although i do not use the front end part of the g and just use the delay/chorus reverb part of the g in the fx loop.
also with the g you can change channels on the amp.

Samuele

#3 Post by Samuele » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:41 am

You can use the Nova both in front of the amp and in the FX loop. In general, I too would put anything other than distortion or wah in the FX loop of the amp, thus keeping the signal cleaner. The DS-1 is there to push the amp tubes harder, and therefore works better in front of the amp. I would run a cable from the "send" on the back of the amp to the "line input" of the Nova (not the "drive" input, which is for the guitar in case you put it in front of the amp), and then another cable from the "left" output into the "return" on the back of the amp. That's it.

Bryceybhoy

#4 Post by Bryceybhoy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:25 am

Cheers guys, thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Jeries

#5 Post by Jeries » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:32 pm

i'm a tc electronic expert
(kind of)

1- use the ds-1 directly into the front of the amp

2- use the novasystem in the fx loop with the distortion stage bypassed- so don't use any of the distortion/overdrive out of it.

= awesome set up

Bryceybhoy

#6 Post by Bryceybhoy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:44 am

Nice one. I'll add it to my wife's ever-growing Christmas shopping list.

avianoguitarist

#7 Post by avianoguitarist » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:53 pm

As previously mentioned, it's best to run any modulation effects through the effects loop and overdrives in front of the amp. The DS-1 is a distortion, not an overdrive. It does not "push" the tubes like an overdrive does but does act in a similar fashion--it just clips harder. You can run a distortion in the effects loop--but I only suggest doing that with a good distortion pedal. The DS-1 is not a great distortion pedal unless it's been modified.

aaronm
Banned

#8 Post by aaronm » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:35 pm

how would you modify it :?:

Jeries

#9 Post by Jeries » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:58 pm

companies/techs/amp guys/and guitar players modify pedal for fun or professionally

the best company out there is Keeley

they mod pedals and sell new pedals with their mods

so i wouldn't recommend modding it yourself- but there are good mods you can have done or modded ds-1 pedals you can buy

I have a keeley ds-1 that i got in place of my madeinjapan 1982 stock ds-1

i always find it funny how if boss wanted to do the same thing keeley does to their pedals new- it would cost literally 2 cents more per pedal.