jem re-string

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
bobz1b

hi

I`m just about to re-string my jem for the first time , any advice on what to clean and polish the fretboard body etc with ?

Bob :?
Patill

Dunlop Formula 65 for the body, fretboard oil for the fretboard. if it´s your first re string you shouldn´t need oil. once a year is enough.

also, try to change the strings one by one, not all in a row the first time. you can change them all in a row if you hav a little more experience with the trem. you coulnd´t break anything, but I would do it that way.
bobz1b

hi patill

Thanks buddy,I bought the guitar just before christmas, its a 2009 model but immaculate I just want to look after it properly, I know what you mean about the strings ..one at a time will keep the tension on the neck, I will check out the dunlop polish.

Regards

Bob :wink:
Patill

well, I think you could give it some oil right now, but it shouldn´t be too much (only once a year) cause the neck shouldn´t drown in it. also, you´d have to remove all the strings if you wanna do that.

Just wait until christmas, there´s nothing better than oiling your neck on December 24th with some Mozart :D. Actually we do get presents that evening, so I spend the whole day doing that^^.
bobz1b

Yes I like to get well oiled at Christmas, usually with lots of beer

:P
seven layer cake
Newcomer

:D :D :D :D love them holidays
guyver_dio

get two coke bottle lids, they fit perfectly between the claw and trem, holding it up while you take off the strings. If you're not wanting to do a full clean then just restring one at a time, otherwise put the coke bottle lids under the trem and go for gold. If there's any build up of dead skin and grit you can go down the neck using the back of a pick to lightly scrape it loose. Then you can wipe (with the grain, so along the neck) with a dry cloth to get it clean, then wrap the cloth around your thumb and with the nail of your thumb, dig it into the sides of each fret and rub along the side of the fret, this will get rid of any grit build up near the frets. I'd say if it's the first restring you probably won't need to clean the frets themselves but in the future if the frets look a bit discoloured and grubby, what I did was get a piece of plastic like a ice-cream container lid and cut a slot the size of a fret out of the plastic, you can then lay the plastic over the fretboard fitting the fret into the slot you cut out, then with very fine steelwool lightly rub it against the fret to get it shiny again.

For oils, I use lemon oil on my fretboard (do not get this on your hardware though) and just a typical string cleaner for the rest of the guitar.
avianoguitarist

A 9v battery shoved under the trem is another useful tool. It is not necessary to change the strings one at a time--especially if you're leveling the trem with a battery, coke bottle caps, etc.