Help Tender surrender amp settings

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
AlexSteven
Newcomer

Help Tender surrender amp settings

#1 Post by AlexSteven » Sat May 29, 2010 4:09 pm

can anyone help me with the tender surrender tone i have a Marshall MG15DFX plz help me someone

tom1325

Re: Help Tender surrender amp settings

#2 Post by tom1325 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:52 am

sorry, but your either going to get replies saying get a legacy (or whatever amp he used on that album, maybe a laney?) or get your own sound, since its really hard to match someone elses tone with all the gear like steve has

Patill

#3 Post by Patill » Sun May 30, 2010 8:54 am

right.

AlexSteven
Newcomer

#4 Post by AlexSteven » Mon May 31, 2010 4:39 pm

well thanks anyway :P i will try my own sound

RAI

#5 Post by RAI » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:11 pm

Trust me, nailing the song is much more interesting than nailing the sound.
The perfect sound with crappy playing is useless.......

Stephen Brown

#6 Post by Stephen Brown » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:41 pm

The Beatles had less.

Do you own an effects unit? Any effects unit?

We are talking 85% of tone comes from the the hand here.

Check your bass, mid & treb settings with your choice of sound. See/hear what your little amp can do. It may shock you at how close it can get. The clean is another story but I'm sure lead wise you could get in the ball park. See what happens. Eq on any effects rig can give you where you may need to go/be. From artist A to artist B.

The plus side of all this is..........If you can make this tiny little amp sound like............Then the large amps come to life in massive way.

Any famous artist will sound like them through a tiny amp or a massive rig.

Everybody frowns upon these little amps saying.."Oh you need A,B,C." The point being that most famous players have a tiny little amp back stage to warm up with. It really does help to taylor the player/Not go out cold. Ok.... Some don't but then again some do.

If anything your little amp is a great home recording amp! If you are after that solid state sound then great. If you want a valve sound then maybe not.

People tend to think about what they don't have instead of what they can use, now.

Solid state Vs Valve will always be a source of convo but my professional opinion is: Each has their place & uses. You may love CD's from both without even knowing which is which.

Tiny practise amps rock.
Last edited by Stephen Brown on Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

lydian2000

#7 Post by lydian2000 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:03 am

Steve Brown wrote:
Any famous artist will sound like them through a tiny amp or a massive rig.
I agree completely with the above post and just to add extra proof, this is a vid of satch himself playing a cheap amp and cheap guitar and sounding like...joe satriani.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and like Steve B said if you sound good on your marshall 15w you will sound superb on any tube stack, I'm reminded of that every other day when I dare turn on my 100W marshall in my flat.

:peace

Patill

#8 Post by Patill » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:02 am

Steve Brown wrote: Any famous artist will sound like them through a tiny amp or a massive rig.
but that´s only because of what notes they play and how they phrase them. The sound however will be completely diffrent.

lydian2000 wrote: I agree completely with the above post and just to add extra proof, this is a vid of satch himself playing a cheap amp and cheap guitar and sounding like...joe satriani.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that only proofs that a single coil strat sounds like a single coil strat, even in Joe Satrianis hands ;).

lydian2000

#9 Post by lydian2000 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:49 am

Patill wrote:
Steve Brown wrote: Any famous artist will sound like them through a tiny amp or a massive rig.
but that´s only because of what notes they play and how they phrase them. The sound however will be completely diffrent.

lydian2000 wrote: I agree completely with the above post and just to add extra proof, this is a vid of satch himself playing a cheap amp and cheap guitar and sounding like...joe satriani.

that only proofs that a single coil strat sounds like a single coil strat, even in Joe Satrianis hands ;).
Just as long as you have the final word...

Stephen Brown

#10 Post by Stephen Brown » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:23 am

Patill wrote:That´s only because of what notes they play and how they phrase them. The sound however will be completely diffrent.

I was always taught that you can tell the measure of player by the fact of one thing. If you hear them play & you can tell who is playing, then you have what they call...."Your own sound"

All the greats that come on the radio/through the cd player. They all have their tone.

I'm going to name it: The blindfold tone test. It's like tone 101 at music school. Sax lines/BB-King lines/Clapton..etc..etc They have all played through different rigs but they still sound like them.
Patil wrote:The sound however will be completely different.
Only at the hardware level. Example: Satch at san Francisco Vs G3 Denver. One Marshall, One Sig Head.

Still sounds like Satch though....

It is the man that makes the amp. Not the amp that makes the man.

teokiatuan

#11 Post by teokiatuan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:33 am

Ah, the great tone vs sound debate

gotta love it.

Patill

#12 Post by Patill » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:09 am

teokiatuan wrote:Ah, the great tone vs sound debate

gotta love it.
right, and if you mix those two up, you gotta hate it ;).

tone = player

sound = gear

the "tone" doesn´t really exist for your ears. It doesn´t have anything to do with physical waves or electrical devices (that would be sound). It´s about how your brain processes the things you hear from a certain player. That´s why tone is a subjective matter.

But what Satriani plays sounds definately like a strat, I hope we can all agree with that.