Guitar Preamp to Power Mixer

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
jam-man

Hi!

I own a Laney GH50L which is, obviously, to big to drive around to rehersals and back home, so I used my brother's smaller TF200. He managed to broke it, so I'm in a bit of a situation here.

So the question is, can I just take my ENGL e530 preamp and plug it into the power mixer and play?
I don't really have much "mixer experience", me and my band just got some power mixer and 2 speakers... basic stuff for rehersals and small gigs.

I know i could try it out myself without asking, but I wanted to ask in case of some special way of connecting the two in order for them to work.
Hoping for a really quick reply!

Cheers
Jeries

you could do it HOWEVER it will sound very shrill and can sometimes be painful....

plus driving vocals with it (i'm guessing) thru the same speakers may not get the sound you want... and you may hear some annyoing cutting of your volume when someone is singing....

you can easily get by with it in practice...

in gigs theres better options and DI-ing the gtr probably isnt a good idea....

a good and very expensive solution is getting a mesa boogie all tube power amp.

once a week i think about ditching my road king for a triaxis preamp and a mesa power amp....

if you like your preamp a lot- you may freak out how amazing it would sound thru a mesa power amp into guitar cabs
jam-man

I'm not really in a position to buy new equipment, let alone expensive one... I just need an easy way to rehears with my band 2 or 3 times a week without dragging my 4*12 cab and amp head to my drummers house, and than back home - for gigs, I always take it with me.

So if connecting preamp to a power mixer is doable (btw, thanks for the reply!), and can do no harm to my, and my band's equipment, in no way (of course, when connected properly), I'm willing to take the risk of sounding a bit worse in exchange to gain an easy way to transport my gear. After all, before a gig, full setup is tried out in rehearsal, so no surprises should occur.
Jeries

buy on craigslist a used 4x12 cab in the $50-100 range.... ( or a new b52 for like $300- theyre fucking tanks)

and leave one at the drummers and just bring your head back and fourth....

and then when your gear changes or you quit your band take the cab home and sell it (like i did)
jam-man

Like I said, I'm not in position to buy new gear. I'm in a middle of a college education, I work part time so I don't bother my parents with money, and I live in Croatia - even though our standard is lame and lower than USA, Germany, UK, etc., we still have almost 50% or more higher prices on everything (e.g. Morley Bad Horsie 2 costs 400-450$, while my uncle bought me one in US on his trip for 120$).
j.arledge

If the engl has a voiced output on it(cab simulator) then yes running it into a powered mixer will sound fine if not great. I tested a pod 2.0 into a yamaha emx 312 powered mixer and out of a jbl mrx 525 PA cab. It sounded good, the 2.0 is old technology so i am sure you could get better results using something else.

If the pre amp doesn't have a voiced out on it, then yes it will probably be very shrill.
ernzzz

Heard about the red box?

http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/Gear ... redbox.htm

I have one, and it really works!

No fizz, no hellish trebly noises, no hassle with mic placement or environment noises... it sounds better than a bad mic, has a natural feel, and it is very close to what you hear with the amp...
Patill

actually I did that with a Zoom GFX 8 earlier, and it sounded very good. I got some really nice references.

You will need no guitar speakers of course, but normal PA speakers. But do NEVER connect a power amp to the mixer or such speakers^^. You could use a PodXT or anything pre amp like, but no "real" guitar amp (except for the Line out).