Digitech:RP1000

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Stephen Brown

wasoota

Like? Dislike? Saw it in the store? :)

The Boss GTs have been doing all that for ages. I don't see how this can come close to a GT-10, even just function wise. Tonally, I hear no dynamics whatsoever. Classic digitech tones. There's a reason they have "digi" in their name. Their modelling sounds absolutely horrible IMO. Always has, but they don't seem to be making much progress.

When they took the tubes back out of the RP series, they effectively killed it in my ears.
Jeries

i saw this demo'd at namm at the digitech booth

the guy was talking over and over about transparency and professional sound and the only professional multi fx pedal....

gt10 is an amazing unit- it does so much i dont think anyhing can touch it

HOWEVER i will mention i no longer have a gt10 and have a line6 m13 now instead...

i run the line6 in the fx loop just for digital delays and modulation fx and sounds great....

if the guy explained to me its like all the 4's in one i would have got it then (DL4 MM4 ect)

i dont think this digi is anywhere on the level of a gsystem of i'd give another thumbs up to the gt10 over this
calos

I still have an RP1 made in 1991, and still is awsome on the FX loop, transparent is the word that sticks what's more it's totally gig/bullet proof, and if a component dies a human being can actually manage to replace it.

peace
cal
pagliai

Hi fretpick,
how are u man?

what is the use you must do with rp1000?

direct recording or just like pedalboard or directly in the amp or for live in little stages......what?
Stephen Brown

pagliai wrote:Hi fretpick,
how are u man?
I'm like this 8) thanks for asking.
pagliai wrote:what is the use you must do with rp1000?

direct recording or just like pedalboard or directly in the amp or for live in little stages......what?
I haven't purchased the pedal but if I did I would of used it for all of the above applications.
pagliai

Oh great if you are feeling good

well i gave a try to this unit,it is a good unit to practice,no doubt,also it is good when you compose,it can be good in a small situation on a little stage(direct).........but if you think this unit in a serious tone......it is a no no in my book.

I think when you 've got a good setup,amp-cb-fxs-pedalboard.......and you can't use it....rp1000 can be a good unit....but it isn't a workhorse.

With respect of a tc G-system......well it is another story.......but...it is another price too.......

Also i think if you split the guitar in 2 lines and you use the rp1000 direct and in the other line the mics on amp(expecially room mics)it can be good.......

Also if you need a good direct you can buy an used sansamp or better a marshall jmp1..........
ernzzz

calos wrote:I still have an RP1 made in 1991, and still is awsome on the FX loop, transparent is the word that sticks what's more it's totally gig/bullet proof, and if a component dies a human being can actually manage to replace it.
Dude! i had one for a few years, and i really agree..

the thing had AWESOME reverbs and delays.. those reverbs had an analog silky metallic feel to them, much more natural sounding than some of today's multieffect units; and, completely tweakable to the millisecond... the phasers were good, and they had some organic feel with a bit of 90's sound in it.. quite unlike anything i've heard after.

the only distortion i managed to use tho, was the heavy sustain, with drive "balls" up to 11.5 lol.. that was quite good for a lead tone.. but the rest i really didnt like..

too bad the fucker burnt itself (as it had an internal power transformer that used to be HOT), and started to make poppy digital noises all the way... i tryed modding it, adding some pc fan, and in the end an external power supply, but i ended throwing it away when i had to move from my home...
Stephen Brown

This article is great to.
calos

ernzzz wrote:
calos wrote:I still have an RP1 made in 1991, and still is awsome on the FX loop, transparent is the word that sticks what's more it's totally gig/bullet proof, and if a component dies a human being can actually manage to replace it.
Dude! i had one for a few years, and i really agree..

the thing had AWESOME reverbs and delays.. those reverbs had an analog silky metallic feel to them, much more natural sounding than some of today's multieffect units; and, completely tweakable to the millisecond... the phasers were good, and they had some organic feel with a bit of 90's sound in it.. quite unlike anything i've heard after.

the only distortion i managed to use tho, was the heavy sustain, with drive "balls" up to 11.5 lol.. that was quite good for a lead tone.. but the rest i really didnt like..

too bad the fucker burnt itself (as it had an internal power transformer that used to be HOT), and started to make poppy digital noises all the way... i tryed modding it, adding some pc fan, and in the end an external power supply, but i ended throwing it away when i had to move from my home...
heh yeah, they do run a little hot, these days I only use it on the loop, the built in drive tones are not as nice as I can get from my all tube amp, what I was really getting at is digitech is the toyota hilux of gear, it just lasts and lasts and is pretty indestructible, digitech does what it says on the tin.

And yep I've used other stuff zoom boss etc etc, what has lasted is this thing, it still delivers gig after gig, 20 years after it was made.

peace
cal
Mytonezucs
Newcomer

What you get in a unit such as this is a compromise. An all in one easy to set up live solution. I haven't tried the RP-1000 but I did take home an RP-500 which is the same unit minus a few bells and whistles.

I got some decent tones out of it but my conclusion was that it did many things OK but not one thing spectacular. I know others that love the unit so you may want to try one out.