I installed my Backboxes

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
KeithVai

hello,

i thought i'd tell you that i installed my 2 Goldo Backboxes today into my Jem..

I originally ordered the 1, but decided to get 2 under the advise of Patil to help spread the load evenly over the whole trem, and although it took me a while to get the tension of the backboxes dialled in its sooo worth it.

It even allows me to play Drop tunings with ease and still stay in tune while dive bombing! - wicked!!!
No more freaking out if i snap a string on stage and worry about the tuning going crazy!!!

so if anyone is having probs with their trem or whatever then i highly recommend the Backbox.
Patill

word :mrgreen:
trackm
Newcomer

I actually am about to have a couple of goldos installed into my rg1570. I had a few questions:
1. Did you find that other strings stayed in tune better when bending another (i.e. unison bends)?
2. Was there better overall tuning stability?
3. Is flutter completely eliminated?
4. Is it that much more difficult to use the whammy bar?
Patill

1. Did you find that other strings stayed in tune better when bending another (i.e. unison bends)?

Not better, completely. It is a matter of how you set it. But fluttering will go more away if you set it like that, so you´ll have to choose.

2. Was there better overall tuning stability?

Yes!

3. Is flutter completely eliminated?

If you want the bends to stay in tune completely, then almost completely, yes.

4. Is it that much more difficult to use the whammy bar?

You won´t know you have göldos in. Take two, not one ;).
guyver_dio

I've not used anything like this design before and there aren't any videos demonstrating it in action so let me know if I've got this right (my assumptions based purely on photos)

It's installed so that the point of contact with the tremolo is exactly where the tremolo should come to rest. You can then dial in the tension, balancing out the pulling tension of the springs and allowing it to float on that sweet spot.

Because it's not locked and the whole device is out of the way, it doesn't interfere with the movement of the tremolo and allows you to use the full range (pulling up and down).

Does this sound right?

My head kind of breaks though when it comes to detuning. Is it just a matter of redialing in the tension? How does it handle with different gauge strings? Can anyone give me a proper run-through on its functionality?
Patill

basicly, I can´t find the manual 8)

But to give a fast setting instruction: You just tune your guitar right and you place the posts so they just touch the trem. Then you choose how hard the tension of the back box springs is by adjusting only the springs of it. The harder you se the springs, the more it will stay where it is when a string breaks. Then after that you turn in the springscrews of the trem as far as you wanna go. If you turn them in harder, the trem gets pushed more and more against the backbox (but without moving until you overdo the backbox-spring-force), which makes it possible to do bends without moving the trem. But fluttering will hardly be hearable as such.

It´s actually enough to push the trem a little against the backbox by turning the screws just half a turn or one turn, so the guitar stays in tune. But with that you can´t make the bends without detuning, but fluttering is available. Actually, check out the Backstop description, it´s just the same adjustment. The backbox comes with a very detailed description, too.

Someone gaveme these when I got my first backstop :).

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/har ... kstop1.jpg

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/har ... kstop2.jpg

Oh and I forgot to mention, that you´ll get more sustain because the free floating trem has more contact to the body.
guyver_dio

So I guess pulling up on the whammy bar is restricted somewhat, at the least you'd notice it being alot tougher to pull up. If it can hold its position after a string breaks it at least has to withstand a bit more force from the whammy bar before the spring tension is overpowered. But it does say to set it in accordance to the string you'd most likely break (i.e. high E), and that wouldn't be anywhere near as dramatic as a low E breaking, so I guess it's all about getting it just enough to withstand the thinner strings breaking but flexible enough to not interfere with the whammy bar. Just about getting the perfect tension.

I think I'd still have to try one out for myself to really get a feel for it, but i think I've got a pretty good idea about it now.

Thanks
loran333

"4. Is it that much more difficult to use the whammy bar?
You won´t know you have göldos in. Take two, not one ."

Maybe its just my sensation but its more hard to pull up the bar.
Even with a light backstop tension when you pull an A to an D on the G strings you must have "the popeye arm"

guyver_dio

yeh no matter what it would have to make pulling up tougher. When a string breaks the trem wants to rock back into the cavity, the backstop prevents that from happening. Raising the whammy bar does the same thing as breaking a string, it rocks the trem back into the cavity. It'd all depend on how you set it though, if you set it to hold breaking like the low e or 2 strings or something that releases a heck of a lot of tension, then pulling the whammy up would be difficult. But I guess in most cases you're only calibrating it to withstand the high e or b string breaking, That's a minuscule amount of force when compared to whats applied to the whammy bar, so I reckon you'd definitely notice it but it certainly wouldn't impair your playing
Last edited by guyver_dio on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patill

hmm, well I don´t feel a big diffrence in pulling up the bar. And even if there´s a diffrence, it´s absolutely not like you have to strain yourself.