Login with a social network:

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Tremol-no
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:37 am 

yeh I wasn't expecting anyone to offer advice, I just wanted to give my opinion on the product so that other people give it some thought. I've been playing and setting up my own guitars for 8 years now, I know the ins and outs of full-floating trems, intonation, maintenance, care, the whole lot. I've even done custom jobs on my previous guitar so I'm not trying to be dismissive of others opinions, I simply tried it out for myself, spent a long time setting it up properly and was not impressed. I'm not saying other people will have the same experience (although I'm actually finding it hard to believe that it could be that much of an improvement on another setup).

'The point is simply to block your floating trem'. This was exactly my expectations of it. Nevermind the deep-c feature, if it was purely just a device to block your floating trem off, in my eyes it failed. Watch the demonstration video they provided on youtube. A slogan they use is 'Tremol-no: making the hardtail obsolete one trem at a time'. The also mention if you break a string it won't affect the rest of the strings. Right here I expect it to work like a hardtail, when you detune a hardtail, does the hardtail move? So I expect this product to do almost the same (to within the realms of reality). Before I bought this product I read tonnes of reviews and feedback, unfortunately not once did I read about the screw mechanism being weak. This is where I also read that you can even take off all the strings too restring and it'll hold. I thought wow this thing is a godsend. Evidently it can't do that and even you said so that you need to be careful. I doubt you could take off all strings, I doubt you could take off more than 1 string (The one I have wouldn't even come close to that).

lol pretty interesting though as I was watching the demonstration video again, I read some of the comments:

Quote:
Mthooz says:
Yeah - the strength of the screws is pretty weak - you really have to make sure you don't bump the bridge when you are in hard tail mode otherwise the clamp will slip... and yeah you either get stuck in the wrong tuning or you lose hard tail mode.

The clamp just does not hold on tight enough.

Anyone of the designers or sellers of the tremolno care to comment or give advice about this??????

flint757 says:
@Mthooz i just installed mine. It works but not as well as I had hoped. If your in dive only and pull up on accident it gets moved out of position and if your in hardtail and bump it then it gets stuck in the wrong tuning until you pull up a little. It seems like you have to be careful and probably remove the tremolo bar if your in hardtail.

Even more interesting is this quote from the guy who invented it:
Quote:
The T-No can hold a great amount of tension. You should have no
problem drop-tuning 2 full steps. If the thumbscrews slip, you can use the
set screws (included). In tests, the thumbscrews held a 7-string Ibanez
Universe with a .068 Low B string, dropped a full step.

It's statements like this that give you high expectations.

Yeh I'm not sending it back, I got it shipped from AllParts from the states. I don't even wanna think about getting that organized.

However, I believe that what I expected of this product is not impossible (infact it's totally realistic). The design just needs to be rethought. When I play guitar I expect the best, if I'm trying to be creative and get into something musically I don't want my focus to be on my equipment. The equipment should perform the way it's advertised and I accept nothing less.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:23 am 

All I can say is I get everything it says out of it. It's never slipped on me, ever. I think it moved once on me when I screwed the whammy bar on and accidentally left it on when I closed the case. That's the only instance I can think of. It's rock solid when a string breaks and I can easily change strings, certainly one or two at a time, without even bothering to think about any slippage. That currently means a .070 low B taken right off the guitar. I simply can't remember having tried to take them off all at once, but I'm pretty confident it would work with light or medium strings. I have heavy strings (.011-.070), so I don't expect it to. Anyway, it's not an essential point about a hardtail to me. Increased sustain, staying in tune on bends and with broken strings though is, and I really haven't had a hint of a problem on any of that.

Have you actually had any trouble in basic operation or are you just sceptical that it'll work? If it moves from pressure on the bar, that's user error. I mean, you can't bump the headstock into the wall and say the tuners are defective for not staying in tune. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:41 pm 

The deep-c has never held anything for me yet, detuning to eb or drop-d, even in standard, if I even think about using the whammy it fails. The hardtail mode has managed to hold eb and drop-d (sometimes it slips, sometimes it doesn't) but it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

So yeh it works but you gotta be extremely careful. Who plays guitar like that, who plays rock music like that. It's like buying a sports car and someone telling you, yeh but keep it under 20km/h or you could blow your engine. What's the point in that. I'm sure they build planes that only JUST fly too, if they get a little dirt on a wing then they go down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:34 pm 

Sounds like you haven't fitted it properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:01 pm 

there isn't a lot too it dude. I watched their installation video before I started and read through the instructions that came with it, going step by step with it. Plus I enjoy tinkering with electronics and new gadgets, customizing/building them so I'm not exactly new to the hands on sort of stuff. This wasn't exactly a brain tickler, it's pretty straight forward.

This discussion just seems to be going around in circles so I'm ending my involvement here. Conclusion: I wasn't impressed with it. If/When you buy one you can make your own opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:58 am 

guyver_dio wrote:
This discussion just seems to be going around in circles so I'm ending my involvement here. Conclusion: I wasn't impressed with it. If/When you buy one you can make your own opinion.

I completely agree. They are absolute shit and don't do what they advertise. I've fallen for it twice thinking the first one I bought must have been a duff one!