My engine of creation.

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
anuj

^^ Digidesign owns M-Audio. :)

~A
Instrumentalrockrocks

anuj wrote:^^ Digidesign owns M-Audio. :)

~A
Do you mean M-Audio and Digidesign run together in one company? yes, true...(I believe they both belong to the AVID company) thats why m audio hardware works so fine with all the Digidesign hardware...

Really check that Profire interface out! It is great!
anuj

Yeah, they're both divisions of Avid, I should've said. M-Audio's the Epiphone to Digidesign's Gibson. :P

That said, I have no desire to move away from MOTU/Logic. It's been working flawlessly for me for a number of years now. Very, very satisfied customer.

~A
wasoota

anuj wrote:M-Audio's the Epiphone to Digidesign's Gibson. :P
~A
:headbang

But a Gibson that'll only play with Gibson strings. Or sometimes Epiphone's "Gibson enabled" strings. Just not d'Addario, Ernie Ball or anyone else's. But it does come with everything you need, even strings! :lol:
anuj

Haha, yuuuup.

Tracking in Logic even with Digi pro gear is latency hell. Switch to Pro Tools, and all is good, except now you're stuck with Pro Tools. :P Yeah, I'll stick with my more diverse ecosystem of recording gear, haha.

~A
Patill

anuj wrote:Haha, yuuuup.

Tracking in Logic even with Digi pro gear is latency hell. Switch to Pro Tools, and all is good, except now you're stuck with Pro Tools. :P Yeah, I'll stick with my more diverse ecosystem of recording gear, haha.

~A

that always depends on your workstation (how good is it?) and how you set the buffer size and the Hardware engine in general. You have Latency in EVERY single DAW and with every single Hardware. It depends on the user how big it is. Most people just don´t know how to handle their DAWs and CPU.

ProTools has a function called Low Latency Monitoring, where you have an non noticable latency, you just can´t hear the plugins while recording. So if you have a Reverb on that track, it´ll be switched off when Low Latency Monitoring is on and you record. When you don´t record it´s hearable. This is a very cool feature that lets you record without any latency.

Some DAWs have that, but not all.
anuj

Dude, I've done recording/mixing work in enough semi pro and professional studios (both myself as a serious amateur and working with pros) over the last seven or so years to speak for A/B comparisons of the hardware/software combinations in question. I know there is an amount of latency in all software DAW applications, but that is not what I'm addressing - I'm talking enough latency to make tracking in Logic with Digi rack hardware an infeasible proposition. I am distinctly aware of low latency modes (hey, Logic has one too!), buffer sizes, and the details involved in setting up driver parameters to get things working, since I've built out and pieced together my studio over the last four years (one or two 828mkIIs extended via ADAT LightPipe with a Yamaha O1V digital mixer - depending on my tracking needs - into a 2.4GHz c2d iMac running Logic Studio 8 - capable of 18 (or 26 with both) channels of simultaneous I/O, which I routinely use with no problematic latency) - and while tracking at that particular studio (a professional, for-real studio in the lower San Francisco bay area with a real, professional recording engineer), this is what we found while trying to track with their Digi hardware into my Logic sessions that I brought over. We ended up tracking the parts we needed in Pro Tools and importing those tracks back into Logic. Annoying, but given that recording is about making music rather than "this is the best gear evar!!!"-esque utterances, it got the job done.

I really don't understand why you talk as though you necessarily know more than everyone else on a subject, and someone disagreeing with you obviously doesn't have a clue as to what they're talking about - but consider the possibility that there might be more to the universe than your experience. I personally have plenty, plenty more to learn, and hey, I'm sure I could have spent a few more hours trying to get Digi hardware to play nice with Logic, but every engineer we talked to there said it wasn't worth the time trying to make it happen, and that Digi hardware works best with Pro Tools, and that they (Digi) overtly prefer the ecosystem lock-in. Ironically, M-Audio hardware is a lot less problematic with Logic, lol.

~A
wasoota

It's called zero-latency monitoring and it's been around for a decade in some form or other. It's safe to assume that all of today's DAWs have it. It's part of ASIO 2.0.

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center ... eroLatency" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The term 'Zero Latency Monitoring' was introduced in 1998 by RME with the DIGI96 series of audio interfaces and refers to the technique of routing the input signal directly to the output on the audio card. This has become one of the most important features of modern, host based hard disk recording. Progress is continually being made in lowering the latency of these systems.

With ASIO Direct Monitoring (ADM, since ASIO 2.0), Steinberg has not only introduced Zero Latency Monitoring to ASIO, but also extended it substantially.
Speaking of which, that's one of the points where the 828mk3 is 'more powerful', if you will, than the 003: It has onboard effects, so when you're monitoring yourself at zero latency, you can still have some effects. As you point out, with the 003, you have no effects in low latency monitoring mode. That's one reason it's a lot cheaper.