Noise Gate, Cheating or Not?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
FireStrings85

Do many guitarists use noise gates to diminish any unwanted sound. I ask because its really difficult for me going from alternate picking and then to a run of sweeping without the other strings ringing out during fast transitions. Any tips in keeping the other strings muted; I find myself sweeping at an angle across the strings really close to the 24th fret instead of between the pick-ups-it helps me lay my forearm over the other strings in trying to mute but its really frustrating!
jmchambers5

a noise gate probably won't be of much use in a situation where strings are ringing out. they're mainly designed to cut down on hiss from effects or pickups or radio stations or whatever. if you were to set the noise gate high enough to kill the ringing strings, you probably wouldn't be able to play quietly either.
J
iron_whittaker
Newcomer

Possibly setting the strings higher off the guitar (adjusting the saddle metal parts with an allen key) to as high as they will go

That might help.

Good Luck
mike777

Noise gates and suppressors are generally auto-volume controls that you want to follow the dynamics of your playing. They don't seek out the noise in the signal and pull it out (although there is digital technology to help with this in studio applications). Basically, it mutes the sound until it senses a signal coming in to push it open. The threshold is adjusted so that you are telling the unit how much "force is needed to "push" the gate open. The decay control basically contolls the speed of how the gate "closes". Essencially, you set it so that you don't lose any or very little attack from your strings and that it closes (reduces volume) at the same pace as your signal decays. If you are playing a lot of notes very fast, you're not really going to hear the noise that normally exists on the "noise floor" when you aren't playing.

If there is noise that you hear over your playing, it sounds like you have something else to look into (ground hum issues or too many distortion units for example). I don't know how much a noise gate/suppressor is going to help you. I've seen noise problems so bad that noise gates set at their maximums can't mute 'em.

Good luck!

Mike Haug
Arpeggio

FireStrings85 wrote:Do many guitarists use noise gates to diminish any unwanted sound. I ask because its really difficult for me going from alternate picking and then to a run of sweeping without the other strings ringing out during fast transitions. Any tips in keeping the other strings muted; I find myself sweeping at an angle across the strings really close to the 24th fret instead of between the pick-ups-it helps me lay my forearm over the other strings in trying to mute but its really frustrating!
You really just have to get used to holding your pick center on the pickups.

as far as muting - i use anything from my thumb, to my palm, to part of my arm, to my index finger - anything that is available to mute something i use.

take a given exercise and figure out exactly when something is being hit.

practice muting it, get used to how close your palm needs to be to mute it.

It takes a good bit of time to be able to mute every possible mistake - i would say i use about ten different ways to mute!
Snow

In my case when I'm recording at home if I'm playing near my computer, there will be some noise caused by the computer. So if I don't use and there will be a pause in playing the guitar you can also hear it in the recording.