Jemini Pedal

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
guitarest

I recently purchased one of these from AMS and I am unsure if the thing is defective or not. If you have one please chime in on this thread. I have tried playing the pedal through a few amps and its the same with all amps, is it just mine or another Ibanez quality control issue? When the unit is plugged into the guitar (either with wall wart or 9volt battery). With the unit off there is no noise at all, when I step on the left side it does as advertised and sounds really nice but when the right side is turned on there is a huge amount of lower freq hum, there is no way to remove this hum. Its only the right side of the pedal, even with all settings to 1 or 2 the hum is still there and its really bad and as loud as the guitar volume.

Any one have the same issue? I called AMS and they know of no known issues from the factory but since this is a new pedal maybe not enough have been sold to show a QC issue?

Thanks huys and Gals...
guitarest

20 views and not one reply? So does no one own the pedal?
jam-man

It has too be a problem with the pedal.

That sort of humming should not occur, especially not when pedal is powered by a battery.
It may be a consequence of a wrong kind of adapter. Most of the pedals need 300mA adapters, and if you go higher, you get the problem you have.

But since you've said you used batteries also, and with the same effect, I'd guess there are some bad wirings in the pedal.
(Did you check the pedal with some other guitars, cables?)
ernzzz

Right.. check that the power adapter is compatible with the pedal, also make sure that the two audio wires are working perfectly (try new wires), and check if there's any grounding problem in the electrical installation...

It once happened to me with a vox pedal, and in the end it was only a shortcircuit in one of the audio wires...

If everything seems to be ok, it may well be the pedal..
Patill

jam-man wrote: It may be a consequence of a wrong kind of adapter. Most of the pedals need 300mA adapters, and if you go higher, you get the problem you have.
Wrong!!!!!!

You could run the pedal with an 8000A adapter and it would work properly. What you are talking about is voltage, not amperage.

The pedal only "sucks" the amount of Milliampére that it needs. The adapter is only limited to 300mA, what means you can only put 4 pedals on that one. One stomp box only needs ca. 60mA. If you overcharge the 300mA border the adapter will break, not your effects. But never put a too high voltage on your effects. 9V, that´s it!
al

The average distortion pedal uses 30mA or so
calos

Does this hum noise occour with different guitars and how far away is the guitar from the amp? ; if your playing it right on top of the amp then the guitar will pick up all kinds of noise even with good screening and earthing.

I think the overall gain on the right pedal is just higher and may be highlighting the noise more.
If not then it could be a fault in the pedals wiring.
Perhaps get it checked out somewhere.

peace
cal
Patill

this is another possibility, yet it is very uncommon that the guitar makes SO much noise...this also occurs if you stand in front of a PC and its screen.

But yes, try to walk away from your amp and possible electrical sources a little more, see if it heps :)
Breeder

Patill wrote:this is another possibility, yet it is very uncommon that the guitar makes SO much noise...this also occurs if you stand in front of a PC and its screen.
especially CRT monitors!!!
when I began playing my guitar I was like wtf is that?!?!?! :shock: while playing by my old tv which was CRT :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JEM10th
Newcomer

I think you should try to borrow another Jemini and compare first.
Then you´ll see if it´s the pedal or not.

:guitar