Orange Tiny Terror

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Big Bad Bill

Re: Orange Tiny Terror

#31 Post by Big Bad Bill » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 am

boswell wrote:Of course the ultimate valve tone is often completely obliterated by many players once they've added all their digital/anlogue effects to the signal chain.
Yes, I've never understood that. 'Tone seekers' go on and on about valve amps, octets, '12AX7 this' and 'ECC34 that' and then stick a transistor stomp box right in the middle of the signal chain or worse use the solid state stomp box for distortion! :shock: What's all that about?

I've noticed a new brand of snake oil slipping onto the guitarists horizon- i.e. old germanium transistors sounding better that the modern transistors etc. And then, of course we get reissues of the Ibanez Tube Screamer with old style germanium trannies!

boswell

#32 Post by boswell » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:52 am

I can fully understand that snake oil.......a Teutonic Cross Dresser would make my Tube Scream! :wink:

Shade

#33 Post by Shade » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:45 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Could this be because of what you're used to hearing on albums? Perhaps I'd think your Crate sounded great because of my experience.

Oh I think it sounds fine for just practicing/jamming along to stuff. But for recording purposes/real sound quality the Vyper and stuff like my PodX3 win out. I'm gonna be home this weekend and my band will be recording a lot of stuff. When I have some downtime I'll make a video or audio clip of what I'm talking about.
Big Bad Bill wrote:
boswell wrote:How do you think it's different?
It sort of fizzles away prematurely. Even adding compression doesn't make it sound-well, valve-like. As I said, I've had limited experience with the POD being my main source of observation.

I know what you mean. I'm not sure what exactly contributes to this but it is definitely true on a lot of digital stuff. When actually playing/recording a demo thing it doesn't really effect the end result. But as far as "real amp" feel it is lacking.