Orange Tiny Terror

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
teokiatuan

Orange Tiny Terror

#1 Post by teokiatuan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:33 am

hey guys,

any of you own/have tried this amp out before?

am looking into getting one, sounds great from the Orange video demos
will go try one out soon

input appreciated! :mrgreen:

boswell

Re: Orange Tiny Terror

#2 Post by boswell » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:53 am

They are a bit of one trick pony which is no bad thing if you like the trick, I found my guitar tutor's to be a little fizzy and thin sounding.

Big Bad Bill

#3 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:33 am

Same tutor as above-I found it was muddy sounding (I think that's the British voicing that people talk about isn't it?) and our tutor tried to compensate for it which made it fizzy sounding. I'd avoid it.

Stephen Brown

#4 Post by Stephen Brown » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:25 pm

The Tiny Terror is ment to be a very good amp. If it's not heavy enough for you do what SlipKnot have done. Get the model above.

http://www.guitarworld.com/slipknot_gear_tour

http://www.orange-amps.com/products.asp ... View&ID=55

I've never heard a bad thing about T.T

Tiny Terror run down/info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuo7j4jqifA

Official promo & company.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWj5sB8P ... re=related

Instrumentalrockrocks
Location: Rotterdam - Holland (well not really Oud-Beijerland actually but nobody knows that)

#5 Post by Instrumentalrockrocks » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:45 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:Same tutor as above-I found it was muddy sounding (I think that's the British voicing that people talk about isn't it?) and our tutor tried to compensate for it which made it fizzy sounding. I'd avoid it.
Now that is more a matter of personal taste...
I really like the sound of these orange amps

The only thing that annoys me is the fact that a lot of punkrock / pop rock bands and such want one because of the color :|

Groove On 8)

Big Bad Bill

#6 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:57 am

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote:Now that is more a matter of personal taste...
Well, yes that's true but isn't every review of anything about personal taste? If you want that LA 'rawk' modern sound, the TT won't do it-to me its too muddy sounding, like a blanket has been wrapped around the speaker cab! It does a great Black Sabbath-type sound though, where high end isn't a requirement.

Stephen Brown

#7 Post by Stephen Brown » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:01 am

It's a valve amp that respondes extremely well to picking dynamics. What more could you want?

Back in the day you would have to sell your left leg to get an amp like that. :D They never had distortion channels.

fyrie

#8 Post by fyrie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:07 am

FRETPICK wrote:It's a valve amp that respondes extremely well to picking dynamics. What more could you want?
An FX loop.

boswell

#9 Post by boswell » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:23 am

.......and a decent EQ instead of a tone control like I had on my transistor radio back in '78

lydian2000

#10 Post by lydian2000 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:38 am

Just like Devin Towsend, I believe the future of amps will definitely be digital modelling, and I can't wait to see the end of the era of those horribly overpriced tube stacks.(that's mainly because I can't afford them)

:peace

Oh yes I am off-topic.

notavirtuoso

#11 Post by notavirtuoso » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:48 pm

I've checked out the Tiny Terror and it's pretty cool, but as mentioned kind of a one trick pony. Nothing wrong with that as long as the trick is pretty good, which it is. I'm planning on checking out one of these Reeve's though. This is the 10HG. It's a 10 watt EL34 head with London Power Scaling and from the sound clips is pretty versatile. Only drawback is that they only sell direct so I'll have to go to Cincinnati to check one out. While it isn't exactly next door I can get there and back in a day with no problem. Maybe my 2-3 year search is coming to an end.

Big Bad Bill

#12 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:28 am

lydian2000 wrote:Just like Devin Towsend, I believe the future of amps will definitely be digital modelling, and I can't wait to see the end of the era of those horribly overpriced tube stacks.(that's mainly because I can't afford them)
I'm sure things will eventually go down this route when the technology becomes indistinguishable from actual valve amps and, of course, the snake oil brigade who will only entertain valve amps, shuffle off this mortal coil! At present though, I don't think digital technology quite matches the qualities of a valve amp-yet. Having said that I've read brilliant reviews of the sounds produced by the Fractal Axe FX I can't wait for the day that good digital modelling amps become available because they will be reliable, cheap-to-maintain, flexible and easy to transport.
lydian2000 wrote:Oh yes I am off-topic.
Yeah but its an interesting and fruitful one!

Stephen Brown

#13 Post by Stephen Brown » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:20 pm

lydian2000 wrote:I believe the future of amps will definitely be digital modelling,
Some time back I would have agreed but now I have a different perspective.

Analogue power & pre stages are the pinnacle of tonal response.

Shade

#14 Post by Shade » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:56 pm

FRETPICK wrote:
lydian2000 wrote:I believe the future of amps will definitely be digital modelling,
Some time back I would have agreed but now I have a different perspective.

Analogue power & pre stages are the pinnacle of tonal response.
I agree.

Even if someday digital amps "replace" valve amps in terms of versatility and sound. There will still be something magical about plugging into a real tube amp, and it won't just be the imagination playing nostalgic tricks on you.

Big Bad Bill

#15 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:38 am

FRETPICK wrote:Some time back I would have agreed but now I have a different perspective. Analogue power & pre stages are the pinnacle of tonal response.
It was also once believed that humans couldn't travel faster than 30 miles per hour without asphyxiating, that the sound barrier would never be exceeded, that people would never walk on the Moon etc. Alway think before you make statements like this FRETPICK!
Shade wrote:I agree. Even if someday digital amps "replace" valve amps in terms of versatility and sound. There will still be something magical about plugging into a real tube amp, and it won't just be the imagination playing nostalgic tricks on you.
Actually, I think this is the real problem-guitarists are terminally nostalgic, conservative, old fashioned and prone to believing in 'snake oil'. Humans are very bad at being objective too which is why we have to use techniques such as blind A/B testing with a large sample group to bypass our deficits in objectivity.

One day, digital amps may well be as good as valve/analogue amps-some will even say better that valve amps, whatever 'better' means in this context!