Take a look at this

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Instrumentalrockrocks

After years of hard work, saving all the money I got it is finally there and finished:
my drumkit!
Latest expansion are paiste 5 series 8 inch splash, a stagg 8" china splash and an xtra snare drum (10 x 6,5 inch for some proper 'trying to do what donati does')
whatta ya think of it? I love her... still need to name her after all those years. any ideas??

For ya gear freaks who are interested in the specs:
Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Fusion set:
- 10, 12 inch toms
- 14 and 16 inch floor toms
- 14 x 5,5 standard snare
- extra 10 x 6,5 inch Tama snaredrum
Paiste 5 series cymbals: 18 inch crash, 16 inch crash, 8 inch splash, 14 inch hi-hatts, 20 inch ride, 8 inch china splash (stagg)
two cowbells (meinl and pearl) :mrgreen:

w/ Remo Pinstripe skins on all toms, coated ambassador on both snares (will probably change that for the small snare) powerstroke III on the bass drum batter side (will change that for a Evans soon)

All yamaha hardware with the exception of the extension for the splashes and the extension for my 2nd snare drum: both pearl hardware

Groove On 8)
nato101010

Wow man, thats nice!
My father has a set o' DW spider pine series. As far as I'm considered, i think he uses the same skins as you. Adn those drums sound amazing! His heads don't have a Pinstripe, but he has Remo, Coated Ambassador snare, powerstroke III's....

P.S, I'd leave the powerstroke on. I think Evans sound dead and bad.
Instrumentalrockrocks

nato101010 wrote:Wow man, thats nice!
My father has a set o' DW spider pine series. As far as I'm considered, i think he uses the same skins as you. Adn those drums sound amazing! His heads don't have a Pinstripe, but he has Remo, Coated Ambassador snare, powerstroke III's....

P.S, I'd leave the powerstroke on. I think Evans sound dead and bad.
thanks mate :)

The whole Evans thing is just an experiment... we'll see what happens :wink:

And yes if I could afford it I would buy DW drums, because DW drums are just about the greatest drums (especially the bass drum sounds :shock: ) out there

Groove On 8)
nato101010

Too bad most of these forumers are guitar players, sometimes looking at other things (i mean other then boring guitars) can be good. Sometimes I annoy myself, talking guitars too too much.
nato101010

I just noticed, he also has the same dampener rings :mrgreen:, What next, same sticks? :D
Roger

Where's the big 20" China cymbal to end the quadaluda thunder drum fills with? :mrgreen:
RAI

And why have a double pedal, if you're not using it?
Come on, we need some bass drums, man!
nato101010

My dad also has a double bass pedal! :shock:
anuj

evans ec-2s, man - the tightest (as in sound, not head tension :p) sounding heads i've ever had the pleasure of hearing/recording/playing.

(i guess the ec-3 exists now?)

~A
nato101010

I have a question for you, instrumentalrockrocks,
Do you play hard, or light?
Instrumentalrockrocks

nato101010 wrote:I just noticed, he also has the same dampener rings :mrgreen:, What next, same sticks? :D
:) hehe yeah I use (like about 70% of all drummers in the world) Vic Firth 5A's (so there's quite a big possibility that he uses the same sticks) they just seem to be so well balanced for my hands.

to anuj: Yeah I recently bought the Evans emad-2 skin for my bass drum... didn't had the time to set it up yet, but I'm quite convinced it will sound a little bit more punchy than the powerstroke III I have on it now... we'll just see. With skins you just have to be experimental minded...

to RAI: Well, I use it sometimes (for some more power) But I'm not the kinda guy for all that powerfull metal drumming... It is waaay to much volume -> I'm more a jazz / funk / fusion drummer than a metal drummer, don't know why but I found out that I just dislike to play dream theater thingys... for me it (in their music just to listen to it, it is great) I'm not born for that kind of things, unless I really need to do it in a band sitaution or something. But I DO use it: look at the pedal again: it has different beaters (that is probably why you thought I didn't use it at all) -> I want to sound the left foot a little tiny bit thighter then the right... This is noticable but not really a major different, and I thought it sounded quite good!

to nato again
:wink: : It is kind of an unusual question: I think what you meant to say is: Do you play hard like playing with a thight hold on the stick or do you play soft with a soft / loose (light) grip on the stick. In my case it is the last thing.

You can play as loud as you want and beat the crap out of your kit (the wrong way) and cymbals with a overthightened grip but you can play even louder, without the effort it takes with a thightened grip, when you are playing in a much more loose way.... I can't really explain it too well in english (after all, I'm a dutch guy :) ) But I think you get the idea...

If I interpretate your question different I say: I play either hard or light it depends on the music style I'm playing. (with Jazz you sometimes need to play soft / light and sometimes hard: for metal mostly hard, etc.)

and btw... is that you in your avatar picture? That guitar you are holding is that a Hagström guitar??? If so we have the same guitar! (Hagström Super Swede)

Groove On 8)
nato101010

Funny you say a Hagstrom, as they are really nice guitars, but that would be a Gibson Les Paul, tee hee. You're right, it does look like a Super Swede, doesn't it? My dad has crazy heavy sticks, Head Hunter CC's, I've learned to like them, too. Anything lighter I would break (but I have broke a CC before!)!
Instrumentalrockrocks

nato101010 wrote:Funny you say a Hagstrom, as they are really nice guitars, but that would be a Gibson Les Paul, tee hee. You're right, it does look like a Super Swede, doesn't it? My dad has crazy heavy sticks, Head Hunter CC's, I've learned to like them, too. Anything lighter I would break (but I have broke a CC before!)!
It looks a lot like the Hagström Swede... these are avalaible in white so hence the confusion :wink:
Head hunter CC's? never heard of that brand... looks like good sticks. Don't know wether they are available over here tough

and I recently put the Evans head on my bass drum... It sounds totally different and the tuning changes the sound of the head really dramatically. There is soo much difference in the tone with these Evans heads. Not sure wether I like that or not

Groove On 8)
bennyvx78

No way man, Thats still not enough. Buy another bassdrum. :D.

NL : Gefeliciteerd ermee man, da's een zeer knappe set drums. sexy bordeaux rood.
Kan niet beter.
Instrumentalrockrocks

bennyvx78 wrote:No way man, Thats still not enough. Buy another bassdrum. :D.
mwoaa I'm more a groove / funk / hip-hop drummer than an average metal drummer 8)
bennyvx78 wrote:NL : Gefeliciteerd ermee man, da's een zeer knappe set drums. sexy bordeaux rood.
Kan niet beter.
NL: Thanks man! ik ben er ook 4 jaar na aankoop van de standaard set nog steeds dik tevreden over de looks en de onwijze vette fusion sound die yamaha te bieden heeft!

Ik HOU van die kit :wink:

Groove On 8)