Home Recording with a Computer.

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
guitarmattms

Hi, everyone. Just a quick question here.

I've been wanting to get into home recording just for a little hobby. I have a laptop but I've heard that they're not great to record with or that you want two different computers. One for personal use and the other for recording. So, my brother has an older computer which he bought at Walmart about 4-5 years ago. I"m thinking about taking it and upgrading the memory, sound card and memory along with a newer cd burner if this is possible.

What do you all recommend to start out with.. amount of ram, disc space and sound card.
I have no idea excatly how much I need. I'm not planning on installing any of this on my own. I have a good friend who just went to college for this sort of thing and I'll have him do all the work.

Here's what I'm thinking of using for a sound card.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=701341

I've decided that I will run Xp on this. Since I do know alot of the recording equipment runs better on xp than vista.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hear your suggestions.
lydian2000

Definitely XP or mac, 2 gigabytes of Ram minimum and pentium 4.

Then my advice would be NOT to connect to internet with it, disable many XP features that will make it at least 40% more efficient(unnecessary processes for examples).

Then there are truly many soundcards, it all depends on what you can afford and want/need ( number of inputs/outputs..firewire or USB... up to 196 or just 44khz...) but even the cheapest soundcard should have ASIO2 drivers at the very least.

try to partition your main drive so that you have one portion of it dedicated to windows for example.

just my 2 cents...many knowledgeable members shall give you much more detailed and professional advice, if they're willing.

:peace
Patill

well, an older pc with todays technology may not be the best way to go...I suggest you get a used Mac (a new one could be too expensive for you) from Ebay or something. Don´t be scared even if it is a used one, they work really fine.

Macs are by far the more stable system if you compare it to Windows PCs and they are best if you are an "Artist", like film cutter, WebDesigner, Photoshop Freak or musician. They are just a little diffrent to Windows PCs, they work properly and in the end it will be much easier than this Windows sh....

Everything else depends on what you want to work with. I´d recommend ProTools M-Audio, so look for a M-Audio soundcard with ProTools.
GYiakoumi

m-audio fast track pro usb interface, works well with windows xp.
DomitianX

I have the M-Audio 1592 sound card and it works great. I use it on a Quad Xeon running Vista and Cakewalk Sonar 7 with 4GB RAM and I have no problems whatsoever.
lydian2000

Most important factor for a guitarist: LATENCY

A teacher of IT applied to music helped me build this incredible PC running XP I have now and with the onboard chipset soundcard I get between 5 and 7 milliseconds with ableton Live(amazing software by the way, boosts your creativity by lightyears) which is nice already (I don't believe people who claim "they can't hear it under 20ms" because I immediately notice especially if you switch direct monitoring on and off, and when you try to overdub anything , especially fast technnical shred.

Although I don't really need one right now this guy is pressing me to buy a real external soundcard, well he did mention the fast track ultra or fast track pro, but whenever I read user reviews they always mention between 15 and 30ms even with very big config and lots of RAM, and I don't know about you guyz out there but spending a few hundred bucks/euros to eventually get more latency is a big no.

Those two are said to be the best value for money in this price range.

Mr. Supertron

I just started using Ableton Live myself. I got the latency down. Lydian 2000, how to you adjust the volume of tracks in that program. I've been having a problem with that.
lydian2000

switch into "vertical"(top right..u must know what I mean) view and you can easily adjust either the level of teh track, the sample or the loop, but I'm a real beginner with ableton...just been scratching the surface, and this program is great and easy "once you know how to" uses many features..for exmaple it took me days to figurer how to simply go back to 1.1.1 (double click on stop...yes it's silly but it's so different from other audio sequencers that it has a smooth learning curve I think)

try the tutorials tehy helped me a lot.

Mr. Supertron

Yeah, Im new to it too and I did the tutorials. If you have any questions about it ask me and I will try to help you out.
guitarmattms

I've tried Macs and I love them but I can't afford one.

So, I'm going to take this old computer from my brother.

So, I just need around 4gbs of ram does that mean ddr or just the ram of a hard drive? And a sound card with at least 44khz..

Thanks Lydian2000 and Patill for your help.
I'm going to ask a guy at a local guitar shop here who runs there studio and ask what he uses. I've used protools before. I have Cakewalk Pro 3. For my software which I recently purchased.

Anyway, I hope to hear for some more suggestions.
Patill

well, no. It depends on what computer this is. We don´t mean your HD Memory (like 240GB or so), we mean Random Access Memory (RAM). Shouldn´t be too expensive these days. 2GB RAM are enough!!!!! But look if it´s really DDR.

If you go for ProTools, I reccomend a second Hard Drive, also not expensive. Remember, that you have ProTools WITH your soundcard, if you buy another one you´ll most likely have to buy another sequencer (like Cubase for example), which will cost extra. For me, I´ve been using Cubase SX, and their LE-Version is very very thin which I, thank god, never had to use....when I went to ProTools LE, it felt like a big step forwards, even if it´s just the LE version. Now that I´ve been working with PT a little, I know, that I´ll never go back to Cubase.

Digidesign has a very good philosophy of their factory and quality and is very innovative.
Instrumentalrockrocks

guitarmattms wrote: Here's what I'm thinking of using for a sound card.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=701341
I have that card myself and I am completely happy with it... the new upgraded software is also a lot better than the old and it works fine with software like logic, protools and cubase

Groove On 8)
GYiakoumi

Get an external HD.
Western Digital are good and was recommended to me by a cool user on this forum.
Make sure it's 7200 RPM and you will be fine.
al

digidesign are spawned from satan and they screw u over ever chance they get, but u gota know how to use pro tools i guess

and pro tools software wont work without any digidesign approved hardware, so it wont work with any old soundcard, which is probably better if ur running it on a laptop, but yes also recomended an external hard drive, 7200rpm and firewire 800 ...cant stand cubase it depressed me

m-audio make a simple package for starting out with audio editing and pro tools

Im still fine with using cool edit pro and beatcraft to make songs, but ive moved onto reason and pro tools now, but yeah check any online shop for m-audio pro tools packages, the mbox one is fine, u get some simple nice monitors, the soundcard a mic and some software, simple n easy theres others too.

if u have a mac logic is the best thing goin
GYiakoumi

Cubase is shit :( They make me use it in Music Tech at college, don't understand why though... All the big studios these days use Pro-Tools, I would have thought it would make more sense to have us learn that instead!

And yes, Pro-Tools doesn't work with everything, has to be hardware that is approved by digidesign, M-Audio Fast Track Pro works fine for me.