here is the Legacy II

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
DomitianX

Patill wrote:ah, ok, that could be the point.

Anybody ever tested this? Well, I could buy a Legacy 2 and test it myself :D. I´m running my Legacy through an attenuator, even if it´s not really loud for a 100 Watts tube amp.

But really, I don´t think this is a method to saturade your tubes and get this Poweramp distortion like sound, I think it´s only good to be able to play at bedroom levels. Well, maybe I´m wrong, but that´s the first thing that came to my mind. If you want poweramp tube saturation, you must play at high volumes, so the tubes can work in their best, of course the volume needs to be reduced at home. That means you need to put a resistor between poweramp and speaker. But I´d really like to know more about this technology. Any further information how this works? Maybe it does saturate the tubes, but in which way? Maybe a bonebreaking new thing ;).
Its not a new technology. Its been around for a long time.

London Power Scaling puts the "work" part before the output transformers at the power tube stage. Attenuators put the work part between the head and the speakers. LPS scales back the voltage to the power tubes which causes them to compress as they normally would, but at lower volumes. I am not a big electronics geek so I am not 100% versed on it works exactly, but the approach is much different and you get much different results.

One guy explained it to me this way:

Take your 100 watt legacy and replace the 100 watt (4 x 25) power tubes with 1 watt (4 x .25) power tubes and crank it. They will compress like they normally would because you are maxing the .25 watt tubes out, but it will be much quieter. If the 100 watt tubes are the same as the 1 watt tubes, it should scale back evenly. All things being equal. That power tube distortion doesnt come from the volume itself, it comes from hitting that sweet spot of where you have applied enough voltage to get the power tubes to start to compress/clip.

Obviously this is not exactly how it works, but thats how he got the idea of how it works across to me. Like I said I am an electronics n00b.

There are some more details over at the London power site:

http://www.londonpower.com/pscaling.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most people that have heard an amp with LPS say it sounds very similar when you scale it back, but it "feels" different because you dont have the interaction with the speakers like you would on a cranked amp. You dont get that feeling of the sound waves beating you up as you play.

I have a buddy of mine that builds all these homebrewed 5/10 watt amps and they kick ass. They have a great tone because you are taking the tubes and maxing them out, but its still at low volumes. They dont sound exactly like my amp cranked, but they sounds pretty damn good for a 10 watt tube amp.
Patill

hmm, well, all this sounds really really weird to me. Does Steve really have that in his amp? There should be a note or some comment on this technology if it was made with it.

If you ask me, as far as I read this, I don´t really trust it. But surely I can be mistaken, I´ve never tried it ;).
DomitianX

Trust it? Its been used for a long time in lots of different amps. Lots of companies license the technology from London Power and use it in their amps.

There is a list of some of them over on the London Power site:

http://www.londonpower.com/links.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im not 100% sure his new amp has it since I havent played it yet, but Fargen is known for using LPS in his amps, and the description of low volumes not affecting tone comment would fit the bill.

I am sure once NAMM hits the details will come out. They are probably saving the details for NAMM.
nato101010

Will this mean that the 1st Legacy's will go down in price?
Patill

nato101010 wrote:Will this mean that the 1st Legacy's will go down in price?
hehe, nice try, but this sounds absolutely unlogical to me ;).

Well, ok so it is that technology. Maybe I´ll give it a try (buy) someday. But I think saving the details is not really a good way for merchandising...I mean aren´t those pictures out of the new Carvin catalog? If this featur is that good it should really be mentioned. I mean by name!!!!!

But it has a very fair price, like the 1st one and a very nice design. You have to get used to that look of a Vai amp ^^
indeedido

nato101010 wrote:Will this mean that the 1st Legacy's will go down in price?

I noticed in the new catalog, they actually went up in price. $1200 for the original combo and $900 for the head.
nato101010

Phhhh, I wonder how much it really costs to just make one.
RAI

Well, considering that they are U.S. made (versus in some sweat shop in China), my guess is that there isn't a massive mark-up.
Stephen Brown

DomitianX wrote:Trust it? Its been used for a long time in lots of different amps. Lots of companies license the technology from London Power and use it in their amps.

There is a list of some of them over on the London Power site:

http://www.londonpower.com/links.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im not 100% sure his new amp has it since I havent played it yet, but Fargen is known for using LPS in his amps, and the description of low volumes not affecting tone comment would fit the bill.

I am sure once NAMM hits the details will come out. They are probably saving the details for NAMM.
This is exciting stuff.

Thanks for the heads up on amp elec world.
Bryceybhoy

Jeez, I have absolutely no idea what anyone is talking about here!!!

Anyway, the good news is that the old Legacy might be cheaper now. I'm afraid £1,000+ for an amp is little much for me.
Big Bad Bill

I've never heard of London Power Scaling. If its good I wonder why other manufacturers aren't using it?

Mikey is it something along these line or the same old 'remove tubes from the power stage with a switch' idea?

I'm sure it will come down in price given the current global economic down turn-it'll have too since luxury items are always his first.
Instrumentalrockrocks

I must say I totally dig the new Legacy...

To me it looks good but for amps it should be tonal quality and versatility first and looks second.

$1900,- for the combo seems like a fair price to me... considering amps of other brands with similar specs (ENGL, Mesa Boogie, Marshall, Hüghes and Kettner, etc)

Good job!

Groove On 8)
Patill

Big Bad Bill wrote:I've never heard of London Power Scaling. If its good I wonder why other manufacturers aren't using it?

That´s the same question I´m asking myself ;).
DomitianX

Patill wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:I've never heard of London Power Scaling. If its good I wonder why other manufacturers aren't using it?

That´s the same question I´m asking myself ;).

Because its more of a boutique feature and they would have to pay the licensing fees to go with it. I am guessing thats why the new Legacy is so much more money than the old. They have to pay to license the technology from London Power. The big boys probably dont want to pay to license it and if there isnt much demand for it, they probably dont want to use it.
Big Bad Bill

DomitianX wrote:Because its more of a boutique feature and they would have to pay the licensing fees to go with it. I am guessing thats why the new Legacy is so much more money than the old. They have to pay to license the technology from London Power. The big boys probably dont want to pay to license it and if there isnt much demand for it, they probably dont want to use it.
But if it really can deliver that 'holy grail' of monster amp tone at manageable volumes then its something I'd be willing to pay more money for, without a doubt. It'd be incredible to have such an ability. Has anyone actually confirmed that the Legacy II actually utilises this technology? If so, even I'd check it out!