Tuebescreamer sound alikes

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
guitarbonham

Right now I use a tubescreamer TS9DX Turbo Tubescreamer, and I like the sound of it a lot. I'm looking to get a replacement for it though. My current effects setup goes like this:

BH2 wah - TS9DX - Boss DS-1 - alligator volume - Zoom 505 multi effects - peavey Valveking 100 watt amp

I always use my pedals for distortion, but the tubescreamer isn't as heavy as i would like it and if i turn up the gain on it it gets really noisy. I use the tubescreamer to drive the DS-1 for my lead tone and for a bluesy distortion. Any recommendations for other OD pedals that would work well in this situation?
al

try a satchurator or jemini, probably the jemini would be nice, its an overdrive/distortion kinda thing
nato101010

I agree, wasn't the Jemini like modeled after a Boss DS-1 and a Tube Screamer or somthing?
Instrumentalrockrocks

you could try the T-Rex Mudhoney
I have it myself and it has that thight sounding overdriven/distortion-sound-in-one

You can get from a nice crunch to a heavy sounding distortion with just pushing the "boost" button on (kinda Gary Moore like)

Groove on 8)
hastx
Newcomer

I currently use a Bad Monkey...cant personally compare it to a tube screamer but many people on review sites do. I like the sound of it as an overdrive and haven't really noticed a lot of noise from it.
Patill

I´ve never played a Jemini myself, but I´ve heared, that it doesn´t sound like a DS and a TS at all and the second channel is too bright and sharp to use. But that´s just what I´ve heared about it.

I recomend you try the Boss MT-2 Metalzone. It goes from bluesy to Hell ;). And you have the DS-1 included if you know how to deal with it.
al

lol @ metalzone
Patill

hmm...very much information... :idea:
Breeder

metalzone: had it before...when I was just starting...I am glad it got stolen :lol:

come on, really...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiCRQjN8VVM :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Patill

so if you had it when you just started tells me you couldn´t handle it ;). This pedal is very very versatile, and just as you can get many good sounds out of it, you can also get many bad sounds out of it. It depends on how you use it. It´s like with every other versatile effect. The more knobs you have, the more it can destroy your sound. But if you handle it careful and with much patience and thinking about what you´re doing, it can give you, what you want.

And you can´t take a Youtube video as a reference.....

Also, I tested the MT and the DS-1 and tried to achieve the sounds of the DS-1, looking for a pedal that can do that and more. And the MT-2 can do all the DS-1 sounds. It is a pedal with "just" a much higher range than the DS-1.

That´s what I can tell after endless testing...
Breeder

I agree that when you are beginner everything sound the same and you are practically deaf (at least I was)
...but I remember it as pretty fuzzy pedal without an ability to really sing on solos...but then again, maybe I didn`t know how to sing with guitar back then...not that I know now...

Anyway, if you could provide some samples that would be great (not just DS-1 imitations, whatever you think sounds good)

Thanks
Patill

I don´t have it anymore ;).

Actually I have a DS-1 right now (finally :P), using it to push my Legacy a little bit. When I was searching after my sound, I was orienting on Steve´s, so I tried some things he had. I´m gonna sell the DS-1 and go for a Jemini I think, also the DS-1 doesn´t work with my Boogie Mark II, which is my main amp. I´ll need a TS for that.

But don´t get me wrong, still, I recomend he tries the MT-2.

Edit: Well, I really watched the video (dare me...;)), and this guy can´t really handle the pedal (he can´t even handle the guitar in some way :|). As I can hear a tiny bit of the "good sides" of the pedal (because I owned one...), I can tell you there´s much more!
al

i owned one too years ago and returned it, its awfull :)

i had to turn the vid off the second he turned the pedal on
Patill

as I said. The more something can do, the more you can get dissapointed.