Heavier Legacy

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
axeman777

Heavier Legacy

#1 Post by axeman777 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:37 am

hey guys, I need pedal suggestion or something to use on my Legacy for "heavy" rhythm work. (like mesa recto's). I was thinking of the Zakk Wylde OD but haven't tried it yet. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

llamahead

#2 Post by llamahead » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:13 am

just try out them all out for yourself, and make sure you play alot different techniques

also try putting the distortion either between the guitar and the amp or in the effects loop

axeman777

#3 Post by axeman777 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:15 am

I could go out and try a bunch, but that isn't really indicative of how they will react or sound on my Legacy. Generally the result you get with pedal "X" on say a marshall, is not the same as on a vox or mesa etc. Thats why I'm asking Legacy users if they have any experience in the same scenario. Thanks for the reply.

RAI

#4 Post by RAI » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:31 am

Other users may have an opinion.
But that's just it.
It's their opinion.
What they think is "heavy" may not be heavy enough for you, or vice versa.
The only way to know for sure, is to try a bunch of different ones and see what YOU think.
Bring your head to the store, or go and buy a handful of pedals and return the ones you don't like.

pagliai

#5 Post by pagliai » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:27 pm

well Rai is correct,anyway if you like the rectifier rhythm tone...well with the legacy you are near a deadline 'cause it is a mess to take out a recto tone from a legacy.
Maybe with low tuning and a stereo setup with fxs but i think you 'll be just a little far from a rectifier,my humble opinion anyway Rai is correct go to the store with the head and give atry with your cab to all of the pedals there at a loud master

fyrie

#6 Post by fyrie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:34 pm

Your best bet is to put a heavy distortion pedal on the clean channel.

Guitarmiester

#7 Post by Guitarmiester » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:09 pm

You're not going to get that mid-heavy, spongy, Recto tone from the Legacy with any pedal. Two totally different voicings and amps.

DomitianX

#8 Post by DomitianX » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:22 am

I've been using a TS-9 up front and and little parametric eq'ing in the loop and I get a heavy psuedo recto tone out of it. Not a shit ton of gain, but the tone is there.

justcartilage

#9 Post by justcartilage » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:44 am

One word - Jemini

More words - Having V.G.A.S. (Vai Gear Acquisition Syndrome) I just got mine and it sounds awesome through my Legacy. The 'red' side has a fantastic heavy distortion (thru clean channel) that's quite thick and bassy. Before I was using a DS-1 (more Vai gear) which I was happy with, but I find the Jemini distortion is a nice improvement.

Of course the 'green' side is great for breaking into leads when using the amps distortion. Nicely it doesn't really color the amps natural tone at all, it does just enough to slice through and boost the sustain considerably.

I find it's like having 4 amps in one. Heavy, Blues, Rock, Lead. What more could someone ask for?

I have no idea what I'm going to do when the 3-channel Legacy comes out.........wait.........yes I do.............I'll be buying it. Then it'll be like 5 amps. Hooray!! More amps!!

Cheers,
J

indeedido

#10 Post by indeedido » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:13 pm

Check out the Landmine distortion pedal. It is super heavy, and has a lot of tone options in the eq section

Shade

#11 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:34 am

axeman777 wrote:I could go out and try a bunch, but that isn't really indicative of how they will react or sound on my Legacy. Generally the result you get with pedal "X" on say a marshall, is not the same as on a vox or mesa etc. Thats why I'm asking Legacy users if they have any experience in the same scenario. Thanks for the reply.
Bring your legacy to the store, every guitar store around here lets me do that.