Does anyone use Guitar Pro 5?

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
dan-o
Newcomer

I've heard good things about it. Could anyone tell me a little about it?
Symphon

yeh i use it..

its a pretty cool programme. you can write any instrument into it basically, tabbing it out then listenin to it via midi.

check you the guitar pro website for a more detailed explanation
teokiatuan

i use it too.. glitches up sometimes though
lydian2000

It's a fantastic program for those who truly understand the benefits of MIDI technology, but because it's european it always gets compared to other cheap but free tab programs(i.e powertab), and I've given up trying to convince people.

Those who use it know how powerful it is(and I'm not even talking about the audio sounds but just the MIDI tools, scale and chord finders, infinite tuning for any stringed instrument and so on).

I could compose guitar tracks without it except it would take me months instead of minutes.
sunai

its super, you can actually record stuff with it, using it
guyver_dio

Probably the most useful and used program I have on my computer. If you got an earlier version I'd just get it so you have no problems with versions of the tab files, the realistic sound engine is practically useless though.
Mr. Supertron

guyver_dio wrote:Probably the most useful and used program I have on my computer. If you got an earlier version I'd just get it so you have no problems with versions of the tab files, the realistic sound engine is practically useless though.
Realistic sound engine does suck
Mr. Supertron

sunai0804 wrote:its super, you can actually record stuff with it, using it
How do you do that?
dan-o
Newcomer

I know its great for writing. What if I import an existing song ie. a Vai or Satch tune...will it show me the tabs for the solo, chords & etc??
guyver_dio

if you have a midi format of the tune then it will import and show you the tabs. It's not entirely perfect but usually it turns out good enough for you to learn from. You can also import normal text (ASCII) tabs into it but without the markings to tell it the duration of each note it will just import the tabs with each note being the same duration. You can also import similar program's tabs into it like power tabs.

It won't import an audio track like a wave or mp3 if that's what you're thinking. That doesn't exist, at least not as a simple method anyway. A few tab sites provide a lot of guitar pro tabs anyway and don't forget you can always check for power tabs too.
dan-o
Newcomer

I appreciate the info. Thanks!