amp opinions

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
axeman777

amp opinions

#1 Post by axeman777 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:38 pm

Hey guys I know these questions pop up all the time. So I'm adding mine. I'm looking to buy a new half stack. I have a Legacy I think its a great amp for what it does, but for me it is not versatile enough. Over the last few years I changed styles and what not, and started playing a wider variety of things. I love the Marshall sound and I love the Mesa sound. I've been playing over 20 years and I know what I like. When I started out I didn't have a ton of choices. Not like it is now. I'm just looking for opinions from people who have tried different gear or have experience with it. I have a big list of possibilities but I don't have the time to try everything. I'm just trying to get it down to a short list to go out and try. Any info would be appreciated. I want something that can do the "Marshall" and "Mesa" stuff relatively well with at least 2 channels. I'm looking at a max $3000.00 for a half stack. On the top of the list is the Marshall DSL100 but I don't know how well it will do the "Mesa" stuff, you know what I mean? I considered the triple recto as well but that really doesn't do the "marshall" sound. I've heard the Mesa Stiletto can do both but I don't know much about it. If anyone out there gets good results from the amps your using with a lot of different styles I'd appreciate anything thing you have to say. Thanks

Jeries

#2 Post by Jeries » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:14 pm

i strongly stand by the amp i use...the mesa boogie road king...
they're $2600 new...

i'd suggest... getting a roadking used if you can find one (nearly impossible) or buying a newor used mesa boogie roaster for lets say $1800/2500 and you can find a used boogie cabinet for like $500

i was in the market for a more versatile amp than my previous 2 channel tube amp...

i did a lot of reasearch and nothing made by marshall had the verastility i wanted and the channel options (let alone 2 effects loop)

i cant think more highly of the mesa boogie road king... it blows me away every time i plug in

Guitarmiester

Re: amp opinions

#3 Post by Guitarmiester » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:44 pm

axeman777 wrote: I've heard the Mesa Stiletto can do both but I don't know much about it.
The Mesa Stiletto Deuce and Trident are great amps. You can check out the specs. here:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/ ... rident.htm

These amps have very nice cleans, can nail the cranked Marshall sound, and is capable of getting into Recto territory. If I remember correctly, Dave Weiner toured with a Mesa Stiletto Deuce a few times.

axeman777

#4 Post by axeman777 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:22 pm

I'm considering the roadking, I heard bad things about the first generation but apparently the newer ones are good. Problem is I've always heard it requires quite a bit of tweeking to get good tones out of it. (personally I don't know) I prefer to plug in and get a decent sound without a load of fuss. The stiletto is second on my list. I've heard it can do the marshall and mesa tones but I haven't heard it yet. I found one guy on youtube that just smokes the old high gain marshall sound, and I was almost sold but I haven't found anything good that shows it sounding like a "recto" Thanks for the replies guys. If you know of any good samples online let me know. And anyone else keep them coming!

Guitarmiester

#5 Post by Guitarmiester » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Almost every Mesa amp requires a fair amount of tweaking. That's not a bad thing, it allows the user to really dial in their sound. I'd highly recommend sitting with the amps yourself rather than using Youtube videos to make your decision.

Jeries

#6 Post by Jeries » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:51 pm

i have a first generation road king its amazing... it may be that way because it was modified and biased and worked on by Bob Bradshaw, but regarless whatever generation they're awsome. the differences is the clean channels are a lil different and it has a tuner mute/out thing

llamahead

#7 Post by llamahead » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:42 pm

I'd go with the DSL cuz you can alway put a pedal in the loop =P

oh i just thought you could go with the Mesa and get a Zvex box of metal which sounds VERY close

Ultraviolet
Location: wherever plugging your brain into your heart puts you

#8 Post by Ultraviolet » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:31 pm

If you want VERSATILE,
go with LINE-6, Fender, or Laney

if you want Vintage, but rockin, Get Gibson, Vox, or Marshall

If you want Heavy Metal, get Mesa, Randall, or Peavey,

If you want DEATH metal get Engl, B-52, Soldano, or Ibanez

Jeries

#9 Post by Jeries » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:22 pm

Ultraviolet wrote: If you want Heavy Metal, get Mesa
you know...
Carlos Santana, Al Di Meola, Bruce Springsteen, Dave Mathews, John Fogerty, Lee Ritenour, Paul McCartney, Peter Frampton, and Kevin Eubanks all use mesa boogie and they're far from metal

Mr. Supertron

#10 Post by Mr. Supertron » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:41 am

I also believe I saw a picture of Jimmy Page using an Engl cab for the Led zepp reunion show. That may have included an Engl or Marshall head, but clearly Engl isn't just for Death Metal

axeman777

#11 Post by axeman777 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! I still haven't made up my mind, but I'm considering the Mesa RoadKing Series II. Hey Ultraviolet I own quite a bit of line6 gear, but to me I always feel like "somethings missing" or "its not quite there" I prefer an all tube half stack. I'm aware of all the common choices for different genres of music (I been playing for over 20 years) but I'm trying to narrow it down to just "ONE" amp that I can get the "Mesa" and "Marshall" sounds reasonably well. These are the sounds I like and its fits the style of music I play and record most of the time. The roadking is a mesa and I'm still uncertain as to how well it does the "recto" tone. I would assume pretty close but I've read so much conflicting info on the net, its unreal. And it does the marshall sound really well. This I have heard myself. Keep it coming if anyone as anything to add. And once again thanks for the replies!!!

Stephen Brown

#12 Post by Stephen Brown » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:15 pm

axeman777 wrote: The roadking is a mesa and I'm still uncertain as to how well it does the "recto" tone. I would assume pretty close but I've read so much conflicting info on the net, its unreal. And it does the marshall sound really well. This I have heard myself. Keep it coming if anyone as anything to add. And once again thanks for the replies!!!
I guarantee this will answer your question.
http://www.dreamtheater.net/disco_video ... udokan2dvd
Dream Theater - Live at Budokan DVD.

Jeries

#13 Post by Jeries » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:29 pm

i would go ahead and say the Road King is the greatest amp ever produced.

i have the version 1, which is just as good if not better in some ways then the version 2...however my view may be 'bias' because mine was heavily modified and improved by Bob Bradshaw.

'recto' wise its probly better than a triple rec and it has several options with the recto tracking to dail it in properly.

on something like this i wouldnt belive most of the opinions you see online... if were talking a new $100 pedal or something then i'm sure you can read the reviews and get a great idea from them. were talking here a $2600 amp plus tax, that can not be discounted anywhere (unless used)

and on top of that it is an insanely complex amp. 4 channels tube options on each, 2 effects loop with options for each plus reverb on each channel...theres so much to dail into it to get a real feel for the amp you have to play it for HOURS.

because of the price and complexity and amount of idiots on the internet talking shit about everything they can find, i wouldnt read to deeply into most reviews on it you see online.

boswell

#14 Post by boswell » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:10 am

A Mesa 5:50 head plus 4x12 does everything from clean to high gain.

ppvai

#15 Post by ppvai » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:55 pm

Ultraviolet wrote:If you want VERSATILE,
go with LINE-6, Fender, or Laney

if you want Vintage, but rockin, Get Gibson, Vox, or Marshall

If you want Heavy Metal, get Mesa, Randall, or Peavey,

If you want DEATH metal get Engl, B-52, Soldano, or Ibanez
Man...
seriously, try the amps, before talking about them.
you can do jazz with an engl!
there are very versatile amps out there to be placed in one category.

regards