Tube Amp Help(Newbie)

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
j3yps
Newcomer

Tube Amp Help(Newbie)

#1 Post by j3yps » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Hi i'm gonna order a customized/personalized tube amp soon, the maker is asking me what type of amp do i want to "COPY" and i said i don't know anything about tube amps but i want a clean sounding amp for versatility(he recommends the Fender twin). Now after reading some of the threads here, some say that it's impossible to get Vai's tone if you're getting all of your distortion on pedals...Is this true? cause that's what i'm planning to do(Get me a clean tube,get all of my effects on my pedal board)...Pls help...

Stephen Brown

#2 Post by Stephen Brown » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:56 pm

It's a large subject. One with short answer's & the other could be very long winded.

Big Bad Bill

#3 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:15 am

If I were you, I'd wait a few years until you have a much clearer idea about what you want in an amp, otherwise you could end up with a white elephant! Who's tones do you admire and aspire to etc. Remember the sounds you hear on a CD are rarely just an amp, mic and mixing desk: they could be a combination of many amps and effects etc. You should go out and tyr lots of amps too, Mesa, Peavey, Fender, Marshall etc and see what you like the sound and response of. I suspect that may well be an amp out there that you'll really like and can buy straight off the shelf rather than going down the expensive custom route (I assume its more expensive?)

j3yps
Newcomer

#4 Post by j3yps » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:21 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:If I were you, I'd wait a few years until you have a much clearer idea about what you want in an amp, otherwise you could end up with a white elephant! Who's tones do you admire and aspire to etc. Remember the sounds you hear on a CD are rarely just an amp, mic and mixing desk: they could be a combination of many amps and effects etc. You should go out and tyr lots of amps too, Mesa, Peavey, Fender, Marshall etc and see what you like the sound and response of. I suspect that may well be an amp out there that you'll really like and can buy straight off the shelf rather than going down the expensive custom route (I assume its more expensive?)
Actually here in our country(Philippines) custom made amps are way cheaper than "buy and play" amps, and we don't really have a wide selection of tube amps either so i can't really try lots of amps that's why i'm asking you guys if you have any suggestions cause really i'm clueless when it comes to tube amps...

So far im after a clean amp so that it will be versatile (cause a friend of mine told me that the most versatile amps are the clean ones because I can play a high-gain piece by getting all of your distortion on your stomp boxes and also have fun with my clean tone)

As i've mentioned above i read some threads that i really can't get Vai's tone relying on stompboxes, is this true? if it ain't, how can i get vai's tone out of my peds? should i use like two distortion.overdrive peds?

thanks again

Svelt Pen

#5 Post by Svelt Pen » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:06 am

j3yps wrote:
Big Bad Bill wrote:If I were you, I'd wait a few years until you have a much clearer idea about what you want in an amp, otherwise you could end up with a white elephant! Who's tones do you admire and aspire to etc. Remember the sounds you hear on a CD are rarely just an amp, mic and mixing desk: they could be a combination of many amps and effects etc. You should go out and tyr lots of amps too, Mesa, Peavey, Fender, Marshall etc and see what you like the sound and response of. I suspect that may well be an amp out there that you'll really like and can buy straight off the shelf rather than going down the expensive custom route (I assume its more expensive?)
Actually here in our country(Philippines) custom made amps are way cheaper than "buy and play" amps, and we don't really have a wide selection of tube amps either so i can't really try lots of amps that's why i'm asking you guys if you have any suggestions cause really i'm clueless when it comes to tube amps...

So far im after a clean amp so that it will be versatile (cause a friend of mine told me that the most versatile amps are the clean ones because I can play a high-gain piece by getting all of your distortion on your stomp boxes and also have fun with my clean tone)

As i've mentioned above i read some threads that i really can't get Vai's tone relying on stompboxes, is this true? if it ain't, how can i get vai's tone out of my peds? should i use like two distortion.overdrive peds?

thanks again
Well if you want Vai's tone, you will have to Frankenstein his brain and hands onto your body....You should also think about investing in a high-gain amp that also has a good clean channel, and you could also pick up a Jemini pedal when it comes out shortly....Btw, your friend is delusional, and you should disregard his advice, as it is simply not true...Why not get a multi-channel tube amp with a great clean channel? You can have the choice of a distorted sound through the clean channel, or you can use the amp distortion independently, or you could also use an overdrive or distortion pedal as a boost on the dirty channel... Obviously, this kind of amp is a lot more versatile than one with just a good clean channel...Steve often blends the sound of his amps' gain with the gain from DS-1 distortion and Tubescreamer overdrive pedals (which is what the Jemini is based upon: the two pedals in one casing plus Steve's personal tweaks)...Good luck

Shade

#6 Post by Shade » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:13 am

The only "problem" with using different distortion pedals with an amp is that the pedal will color the amps sound with its own, so if you like the pedal's sound, then good, if not, you're kinda stuck. But someone would have to be exceedingly anal to say that you couldn't at least get a Vai-ish like tone with the right distortion pedal through a good clean amp.

TheRocKsTaR777

#7 Post by TheRocKsTaR777 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:31 pm

With all honesty..Steve's tone is very very hard to replicate to a tee.

I myself was after the same thing and in the end I've noticed while my tone seems very vai-ish it isnt exactly like steve's..actually alot of ppl tell me my tone sounds more like satriani's if anything..funny cuz im playing thru a ibanez jem,carvin legacy,boss ds1,tubescreamer,bad horsie,etc.

So just remember tone is in the hands..

the other stuff is just like the frosting if you will..

I did a little test a while back..where me,my uncle and 2 best friends played on my rig.All with the same eq settings,etc.

I found out that even though we all played thru the same rig,each and every one of us sounded Completely different.

World of a difference..so I figured since then tone is pretty much all in your hands..

Sure the equipment helps out quite a bit,but in the end,no amp,no guitar,no fancy software will make you sound exactly like your guitar hero,you might come close,but not exact.Alot of the times our ears play tricks on us..

On the other hand,if you're Cesar Huesca you can nail Steve's tone and then some. :)

pjaydee

#8 Post by pjaydee » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:02 am

TheRocKsTaR777 wrote:With all honesty..Steve's tone is very very hard to replicate to a tee.

I myself was after the same thing and in the end I've noticed while my tone seems very vai-ish it isnt exactly like steve's..actually alot of ppl tell me my tone sounds more like satriani's if anything..funny cuz im playing thru a ibanez jem,carvin legacy,boss ds1,tubescreamer,bad horsie,etc.

So just remember tone is in the hands..

the other stuff is just like the frosting if you will..

I did a little test a while back..where me,my uncle and 2 best friends played on my rig.All with the same eq settings,etc.

I found out that even though we all played thru the same rig,each and every one of us sounded Completely different.

World of a difference..so I figured since then tone is pretty much all in your hands..

Sure the equipment helps out quite a bit,but in the end,no amp,no guitar,no fancy software will make you sound exactly like your guitar hero,you might come close,but not exact.Alot of the times our ears play tricks on us..

On the other hand,if you're Cesar Huesca you can nail Steve's tone and then some. :)
Very true that, and well said. I remember when Ted Nugent was on a bill with Van Halen...he was so blown away with EVH's tone that he asked to play through his rig...Eddie said yes...but you know what..he didnt sound like EVH he sounded like Ted Nugent! Food for thought....

Ultraviolet
Location: wherever plugging your brain into your heart puts you

#9 Post by Ultraviolet » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:13 pm

One ANswer to ALL your tube questions man,
Rheinhold Bogner