Input/Output Levels

The name says it all! Discuss Steve's studios, your studios and gear set-ups, amps and effects here. This is not for discussing guitars (Steve's or otherwise).
Big Bad Bill

I have a Peavey 5150 on which the master volume is only ever slightly above 'one' as its so loud and any greater amount of volume just hurts. However it still sounds great. But I've noticed the VU meters on my G Major are barely registering any input and neither are the input level lights on my BBE Sonic Maximiser that comes straight after it. So I've experiment by turning up the master volume on the 5150 (to about 3.5-bloody loud!) and reducing the output level on the G Major to prevent ear bleeding volume. Now the average G Major VU reading is about -6dB (as suggested in the manual) and the LED level on the BBE shows a pretty steady three of the available five. I don't think it really sounds any different/better to before when the master volume was lower, but I'm sure my 5150 power amp stage is probably working nearer to where it should be and I believe this is a good idea.

So, is there any merit in having my amp turned up, my level lights doing something and having my G Major soaking up the intolerable volume, or should I just turn the amp down and the G Major output up and leave the level lights just flickering at the bottom of there range?
Jeries

if it were me..
i'd rather have my effects on 10 and my amp on 1 than my effects on 1 and my amp on 10...

why make the amp work harder? the effects dont do anything different or change anything wether its on 1 or 10.
RAI

How are you running the TC?

In other words, where is it in the signal chain?
Big Bad Bill

Jeries wrote:if it were me..
i'd rather have my effects on 10 and my amp on 1 than my effects on 1 and my amp on 10...why make the amp work harder? the effects dont do anything different or change anything wether its on 1 or 10.
Well, valve amps are supposed to sound better and be more responsive if they're being pushed a little-especially the power stage. My original settings meant the amp was literally just ticking over whereas the new settings let it flex its considerable muscles a little
RAI wrote:How are you running the TC?

In other words, where is it in the signal chain?
Its through the FX loop: Amp Send-> TC input->TC output ->BBE input->BBE output->Amp Return
pagliai

well at the end it is pretty the same,of course the best thing is crankin up the amp until the master works best,then you should adjust the fx level,then if the volume is really hard,3 solutions
1)attenuator
2)mod the amp to put it at 12w or 25 or so on
3)2 x12 cab
i hope i understood your question big bad bill,if not i msorry
FudeMan

I may be wrong in this but they 'new' way you are running the amp isn't actually pushing the power amp valves any more than the 'old' way as the power stage comes after the effects return on the amp. Basically the end result should be basically the same as you say as you are just reducing the volume at a different point but bnoth points are before the power stage.

The only advantage i can see in running it the 'new' way is that you are getting more signal into the TC unit and so will have more joy when using filters like an auto wah sound as that is based off of the signal level.

If you want to push the power stage then i would recomend an attenuator. I have one but to be honest at bedroom levels there is a lot of sound degredation, it's invaluavble at gigs though as i can crank the amp and use only -8db reduction on the attenuator which lowers it suffuiciently whilst keeping all the tone.
Big Bad Bill

FudeMan wrote:I may be wrong in this but they 'new' way you are running the amp isn't actually pushing the power amp valves any more than the 'old' way as the power stage comes after the effects return on the amp. Basically the end result should be basically the same as you say as you are just reducing the volume at a different point but bnoth points are before the power stage.
Oh yes, of course! I never thought of that! Thay's why I use the FX loop! :oops:
FudeMan wrote:The only advantage i can see in running it the 'new' way is that you are getting more signal into the TC unit and so will have more joy when using filters like an auto wah sound as that is based off of the signal level.
I only really use delay/reverb/chorus so are those dependent upon the signal strength?
FudeMan

No i don't believe they are, i only really use pith shifter (prefer it as a chorus effect to actual chorus :p ) delay and reverb and they don't seem different based on the input levels.
indeedido

The effects loop in the 5150 is very weak. The signal isn't ramping up into your G...That is why your leds aren't reading higher
TheOtnip

Big Bad Bill, I do the same thing with my G Major and Legacy except I put it to around 6 ish and keep the inputs and outputs at like 60%.

Is this sucking any of my tone? I've actually yet to check myself because of how loud it will be to try and hear...
brentm

Click the I/O button and go to Input Range (Input Rng)? Is it set to Consumer or Pro? I set mine to Consumer and it seems to help with the issue you've described.

Let me know if this helps!
-Brent
Big Bad Bill

brentm wrote:Click the I/O button and go to Input Range (Input Rng)? Is it set to Consumer or Pro? I set mine to Consumer and it seems to help with the issue you've described.Let me know if this helps!
-Brent
I'll have a look at this setting tonight. Thanks for the tip.